Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 7:29:02 AM EDT
this is kind of a newb type question but i dont know too much about the building of an AR and i was wonder could the average person install a  barrel? and i was looking into noveske barrel's and i see that they are also avaliable with a properly head spaced bolt , would that prevent me from having to go and use a gauge to head space my rifle? or would i still have to head space it?

Thanks

-Russel
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, a common person can install a barrel, it's even healthy to do so.  Noveske rocks, I envy you for being able to afford one.  In reality, any properly manufactured bolt should work with any properly manufactured barrel, so if you already have a bolt, dont bother with the matched bolt.  But if you don't have a bolt already then get the matched bolt.  It's a bargain for the quality you are getting.  Also, if you don't plan on installing a FSB and decide to go with a middy length barrel and full langth handguards then don't worry about barrel install at all, its hard to mess up.  Just slip the barrel in (having first cleaned and lubes the peices nicely) then maske sure the little prong on the barrel fits nicely into the reciever's notch, lube the threads, install the barrel nut and VOILA!

Hope that helped.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
it is very easy to do WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS.  need a barrel wrench and an action block.  should be able to find it all for under $50.  most of the places will put it on a supplied upper.  go to the information section and check out the technical manual.  it shows ya how to do everything.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guy's ,i was mostly worried about the whole head spacing thinking i would mess that up some how, so your saying i dont have to check  HS if i already use a  spec bolt? just trying to make sure i read that correctly

-Russel
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]
yes !  You can not change the head space ( not with out 1,000's in machine shop stuff )
Just get a good bolt and a good barrel New and you should have no problem.

the head space is set by how the bolt  and barrel go together ( distance ) from the bolt face to the heck of the chamber.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top