Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2006 9:33:47 PM EDT
Title says it...I'd like to try a smaller front sight post. I'm thinkin it will help me be a bit more precise when shooting my irons. I'm good at 100 yards(5 shots the size of a quarter), but past that(200-300) my front sight post is just so enormous it makes it difficult.  

Where is a good place to get one?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have to say you are doing just fine with the one you have.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Title says it...I'd like to try a smaller front sight post. I'm thinkin it will help me be a bit more precise when shooting my irons. I'm good at 100 yards(5 shots the size of a quarter), but past that(200-300) my front sight post is just so enormous it makes it difficult.  

Where is a good place to get one?

Thanks.

Personally, I'd go for a scope if I were trying to shoot at 200+ yards.  As a general rule, most people are effective out to about 200 or so with iron-sights on any rifle (it's a human limit).  If you want to get beyond that, a scope is probably a good idea.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious about this too.  There's gotta be someone who makes a thin front sight post, right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#4]
RRA makes one I think, maybe try ADCO. They call it a NM front sight.

I got one and it makes a big difference. The standard one was much too wide for me and stuff was blurry downrange.

After I installed the thin sight, I even got my file out to skinny it up even more. Now it's much more better!

Found a few..
Here

Avoid the hooded ones... that was a bad mistake. Also avoid the Hi-vis plastic ones, heat+plastic=melty goo ...duh! I should have known

Specifically here

etaa, sorry mywifehatesguns, I didn't mean to rain on your post. I didn't like the hooded ones because it was difficult to get the objective lined up quickly, I'm sure they have their uses. My experience with the wire crosshairs is that they BEND!! I just threw that thing out!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought and installed one of these.  I have not shot it yet, but it looks like it will be much better than the standard post.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=267265

This dealer ships very fast.  I got it 2 days after ordering.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]
What you are trying has been done for years by NRA and CMP Highpower shooters.  You can get the front sight post from Compass Lake.  If you are having problems with a fuzzy target at longer distances you may want to put a different rear sight on.  I had problems seeing the target at 600 Yards so I boought a corrective lens that is inserted into a hooded rear sight from Bob Jones Sights.  Bob also sells his own hooded insert.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys, can someone make a recommendation on what setup works good for you?  This is a NM front/rear set from RRA (from the RB precision web site).  

Front and rear sight assembly (available in 1/2 X 1/2 or 1/4 x 1/4 and hooded aperture in .030 or .040)

Front sight posts National match in .050,.060 or .070

I'll likely get the 1/4 click setup.  I heard that NM RSBs don't have the little wiggle like most other A2 RSBs.  Is this true, and why is that?

As for the size of the front sight post and rear aperture, the smaller the better?  Or does going too small actually present problems?

*Edit*

Never mind about the hooded rear sight, some said it sucks already.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been on the hunt for a new front sight since I do not want optics right now. This is what I am eyeing since the vertical cross hair is adjustable. I just need to find out how it locks in place once adjusted.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies guys...that NM front sight post looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I plan to switch to an A4 upper and strap a scope on it but for now I'm enjoying my irons.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would have to say you are doing just fine with the one you have.

What he said...

Mike
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top