Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:19:37 PM EDT
Hi, Where can I buy the parts to build a rifle just like this;  www.colt.com/mil/M4Com.asp
Can it be assembled for less than $700 using quality stuff?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the site.

First off, let's make the link hot so others can get to it easier:

www.colt.com/mil/M4Com.asp

Next, you need to be aware that a barrel under 16" requires special paperwork and a $200 fee. You can legally have a 5.5" flash suppressor permanently attached to bring it out to the legal 16" limit, but if you want the look of the A2 flash suppressor that is pictured, your only choice will be to register it as an SBR (short barrel rifle.)

As for making a clone of it using non-Colt parts, it should be pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hi, Where can I buy the parts to build a rifle just like this;  www.colt.com/mil/M4Com.asp
Can it be assembled for less than $700 using quality stuff?

thanks

Welcome aboard!  What part of Oklahoma are you from?  I am from the Tulsa area but am in baghdad right now.  I am half way considering a SBR when I get back myself.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
About this $200 fee, is there a lot of red tape to get an SBR like the one in the link, who sells them?

Actually I live in Ohio, I guess I clicked the wrong state when I registered.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#4]
As for buying an SBR, it really isn't as hard to do as it seems. If you can own a firearm, you can own NFA items. You basically have two routes you can take concerning SBR's:

1. You can buy a factory-built SBR from a Class 3 dealer in Ohio. You can either buy from your dealer's stock, or have him order directly from the manufacturer if he doesn't carry the model you want. You will pay for the SBR before filling out the paperwork, but the SBR must stay at the dealer's shop until you are approved. It will be transferred to you on a Form 4.

2. Register your own lower receiver on a Form 1.

Depending on which route you choose, you will either need two Form 4's or Form 1's, two fingerprint cards, and a citizenship form. You then take this paperwork to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) in your area. This will usually be either the County Sheriff or Chief of Police (depending on whose jurisdiction you live in.) The CLEO will sign your paperwork and fingerprint you on the cards. If you live in an area where the CLEO refuses to sign NFA forms, you can form a simple corporation (LLC, etc.) and then are exempt from the CLEO signature and fingerprints. You will then need to attach a passport photo to each of the NFA forms, and send all completed paperwork to the BATF along with a one-time fee of $200. (Some dealers send the paperwork in for you.)

Then you wait. It usually takes a couple of months for the BATF to approve your paperwork. When they do, they will send it to the dealer (if purchased through him), or directly to you if self-manufactured. When the approved paperwork arrives, make a photocopy of it, and keep the original in a safe place. Carry the photocopy with the SBR in case an LEO should ever question you about it.

SBR FAQ

A Couple Of Ohio Class 3 Dealers

You might ask for more local Class 3 dealers in the AR15.COM Ohio Forum.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top