Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 5:03:01 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to remove and install a new flash hider. Any tips/suggestions on removal and installation?"
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Barrel vise jaws and a quality 3/4" open end wrench.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
righty tighty, lefty loosy, maybe a little heat if its been loc-tited
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure it is not pinned or welded, such as those on 14.5" bbls for civvie sales from Bushie et al.

If that is the case, you will have to cut the FS off. End of story.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used two pieces of wood for padding and chucked up the front sight base in a vise to do a couple.  Also just had somebody hold down the upper on the kitchen table with dish towels as padding.  Either way, go slow and use your head.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Kroil it the night before at least. It will soak and make it a lot easier.

Hold the barrel down on two pieces of 2x4.

It will come right off.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Kroil it the night before at least. It will soak and make it a lot easier.

Hold the barrel down on two pieces of 2x4.

It will come right off.

I may sound ignorant, but what is kroil??
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is the product description for Kroil on the MidwayUSA website

Kroil (The Oil that Creeps) is used by the most accuracy-obsessed benchrest shooters to keep their barrels clean. Kroil creeps below the fouling in your barrel, allowing you to knock it out easily with a patch or brush. Kroil also displaces moisture, dissolves and prevents rust and can even be used as a lubricant.

I have used it to remove copper and lead fouling, works great.  Have a good one!

Ralph
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the product description for Kroil on the MidwayUSA website

Kroil (The Oil that Creeps) is used by the most accuracy-obsessed benchrest shooters to keep their barrels clean. Kroil creeps below the fouling in your barrel, allowing you to knock it out easily with a patch or brush. Kroil also displaces moisture, dissolves and prevents rust and can even be used as a lubricant.

I have used it to remove copper and lead fouling, works great.  Have a good one!

Ralph

Well pasted...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Make sure it is not pinned or welded, such as those on 14.5" bbls for civvie sales from Bushie et al.

If that is the case, you will have to cut the FS off. End of story.

+1 on that.  And it's not just 14.5" barrels.  If it's a postban version of any lenght with a muzzle brake, it'll be silver soldered or pinned and welded.  Unless it's the RRA press on brake, in which case you'll have to have the barrel threaded.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top