Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/4/2006 7:32:55 PM EDT
I was wondering if it is legal to build your own lower reciever for an ar-15? I was wondering what type of equipment I would need (CNC or Lathe) and where I could get specs, blueprints, cad files (or anything related).

Thanks for any information.

-Kevin
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:40:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:53:50 PM EDT
Yep. it be legal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:13:40 PM EDT
now that I know that they sell parts like that, I was wondering if you knew of a place that has instructions on maching the upper reciever as well. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:05:52 AM EDT
personally i wouldnt bother with maching and upper receiver from scratch. You dont need to do any paper work to buy the upper, you can have it shipped right to your home, and if you wanted a custom look on it i suppose that you could set it into a mill and machine whatever look into it that you would prefer.

However if you still want to start with a forging here is the place to go

DSA

Im not sure where there are cad files for the upper but im sure there out there somewhere
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:28:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 7:30:12 AM EDT by wayne1411]
actually, for anyone curious, there are cad files at CNC Gunsmithing

I was looking around and found them. They have upper and lower as well as some handguns. good info over there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:15:01 AM EDT
damn i knew i had that llink somewhere i just couldnt find it
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:13:30 PM EDT
I was curious, now. Does anyone know where I can get blueprints or anything for handgrips or buttstocks? Im curious because I have a ton of machine shop equipment at my disposal. thanks

-Kevin
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:35:28 AM EDT
i would have to say that to try to make handgrips and buttstocks that you should probably get an original piece first and take some measurements off of that Pick up a standard pistol grip and standard a2 butstock and dissable as for the hand grip i would pick up a cheapy aluminum one just to take your measurements off of then customize your piece from there

here is a good spot for cheap parts

M1S

or you could just stake out the EE and wait for something that sparks an interest to ya
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:41:03 AM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:13:55 PM EDT
hey found another spot for machining the AR Lower

Ray Vin
Top Top