Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 10:37:18 AM EDT
I want to build an AR-15h?

I would like to build it completely, but not sure if I want to go through the headspacing and making sure I line up the sights correctly.  Plus, I don't have the vice and other tools necessary to  for piecing together the entire upper assembly.  At least not for now.  I plan on building more guns in the future and will buy tools as time goes on.  

My friend also recommended that I go with a Colt bolt carrier assemly.  So, what company besides Bushmaster (comments on bushmaster uppers would be helpful too) sells complete uppers with flat-top receivers minus the bolt carrier assembly and charging handle?  I mean, is Bushmaster fine or is there something better?

I am going to use a titanium firing pin and DPMS lower receiver kit.  I'll go with a 6 position buttstock and I already have the lower receiver.  

Thoughts, comments would be helpful.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#1]
a3 a4 is the same thing, both refer to a flattop upper reciever.

check ou the tacked threads up above for walk throughs and tips.

there are plenty of other options for the bolt carrier assy and colt is just one of them. cmt, bushmaster,rra, etc all make good bolt carrier groups and i have not seen a problem with any of them to warrant the need for a colt bcg.

bushmaster makes quality items and i prefer them over the others. there is the industry forum and equipment exchange which offers a great line of ar parts. RRA, CMT, Stag, lmt, sabre, cmmg, bushmaster, colt, etc. which are all good parts.

drop the titanium firing pin, not needed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
a3 a4 is the same thing, both refer to a flattop upper reciever.

check ou the tacked threads up above for walk throughs and tips.

there are plenty of other options for the bolt carrier assy and colt is just one of them. cmt, bushmaster,rra, etc all make good bolt carrier groups and i have not seen a problem with any of them to warrant the need for a colt bcg.

bushmaster makes quality items and i prefer them over the others. there is the industry forum and equipment exchange which offers a great line of ar parts. RRA, CMT, Stag, lmt, sabre, cmmg, bushmaster, colt, etc. which are all good parts.

drop the titanium firing pin, not needed.

Solid advice here!

My first (and only so far) build I did lots of asking around.  I ended up with lots of CMT parts and all have turned out great!  Don't have a Colt part on any of my AR's...

Gundraw
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got done with my build ... as far as putting a upper together it is simple.
If you are going to use a normal FSB you have nothing to line up, as the FSB will come on the barrel.
And for head space you just need to get a new barrel and bolt, thats all. The head space is done when they cut the chamber into the barrel.
I got a vice for around 40.00 and a action block for 30.00 the barrel wrench is 20.00-30.00
thats all you realy need. I put a Bushmaster chrome lined barrel w/ bushy bolt and carrier. They work great. Bushmaster is all you will ever need, but if you just want to spend EXTRA cash for some MAGIC PONY go for it. Both will do just fine.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Still learning rifle lingo.  What does FSB mean?  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
front sight base
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top