Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:36:00 PM EDT
Anybody have any experience with this company?  Stuff any good?
All I could find is that they use Shaw barrels....don't know where their upper/lower receivers come from.

Thinking about building my next AR .... 16" CAR (maybe)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
lots of folks have had pretty good expierence w/ em

some have had some issues, some bad CS and product problems--but not to worry

personally, i would go w/ JTD or Del-Ton in the Industry board--support those who support us

you can also try a search--there have been a lot of topics on M1S
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I just purchased a Model 1 Sales rifle kit.  I purchased the Em-4 CAR 16" kit in green. It had a fully assembled upper receiver, a full lower parts kit, and a stock.

I've assembled the lower with the lower parts kit. I managed to lose a detent while assembling so I'm waiting to finish when I get the new detent.  I have a Lauer LCW-15 lower receiver.  

Overall, I have to say that I'm satisfied with the kit but there were several small problems.

The largest problem I had was with the pistol grip. It just didn't fit onto the receiver. I got an x-acto out and shaved down the grip a bit.  

The second problem was with the bolt catch/release spring in that it was bent.  I had to unbend it and had trouble fitting it into the receiver. I eventually got it into the receiver.

I will say that the upper looks nice and matches the lower.  The green grip, handguards, and stock look nice.  

So, I can say that I'm reasonably happy for now. I haven't fired my rifle so I can't comment on functionality. I'll likely have a better idea about the rifle once I get it out to the range.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Model~1~Sales does not sell lowers. They sell everything but the lower FYI. Seems like many people are happy with them but Quality is not quite up to that of Bushy/ RRA/ CMT.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 16" carbine model 1 sales upper on a Rock river Arms lower, The finish on the model one product is just as good as the rra lower. I am very happy with the function, fit and finish. +1 for m1s
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#5]
GoVol98,

Just installed a parts kit (last night) from Model 1 Sales on a Stag lower.  The only problem I had (other than the hinge pin detent launching) was getting the safety detent installed.  It was too big for the hole, so either Stag, Model 1, or myself screwed up.  I finally got it working, but it involved a broken drill bit, a tap, & a big hammer :)

The only other problem I have w/ 'em is their bad legal advice - they refused to sell me an M-16 bolt, & informed me once I'd built a rifle from my pistol I could never build it back into a pistol.  So what do T/C owners do?  But they do have very inexpensive bbls.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I built two ARs using M1S.

The first was just using one of their uppers, the second was a full kit.  Happy both times.  I am looking at using them for when I do a pistol.

The picture below shows mine.  The top one was the M1S upper (has been heavily modified since purchase) and the middle one is their Dissy kit with collapsable stock and green furniture.  It is stock excpet for my MEGA lower it was built on.

The bottom one is my daughter's dedicated CZ v22 .22LR that I built from pieces gathered all over the place. (various retail and EE)  In fact, the FF tube on the .22 is the one I took off my M1S upper when replaced with the "HotRod" tube. The .22 came with a carbine length tube, so we made it a Dissy. All I need now is the FH.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I just did a Model 1 lower kit.  Pistol grip was tight, but better tight than loose.  The trigger feels like sand and I hope polishing it helps.  Some of the detents needed to be filed down (flat side) because the spring or the detent was too long and bottomed out not allowing the pin to go through at all.  None of these are problems I didn't expect for my $59.  The only thing I really didn't like was the bolt release roll pin hole was undersized.  This is a hardened part almost impossible to drill and next size drill was too big (7/64").  It works now but it's real sloppy.   All of this was assembled on a RRA receiver.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#8]
My M1 kit was perfect on a Stag lower save for the bolt release button hole was too small.  Some light reaming with a drill bit and all was well.  I did, however, use a RRA hammer/sear that I had laying around because I knew it had a really nice break.

No function problems as of yet and the upper casting was smoother than my custom Clark Gator.  I don't see the problem with these.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
GoVol98,

Just installed a parts kit (last night) from Model 1 Sales on a Stag lower.  The only problem I had (other than the hinge pin detent launching) was getting the safety detent installed.  It was too big for the hole, so either Stag, Model 1, or myself screwed up.  I finally got it working, but it involved a broken drill bit, a tap, & a big hammer :)

The only other problem I have w/ 'em is their bad legal advice - they refused to sell me an M-16 bolt, & informed me once I'd built a rifle from my pistol I could never build it back into a pistol.  So what do T/C owners do?  But they do have very inexpensive bbls.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

backbencher,

Although youcan have a M16 carrier in a AR15 now (some will disagree with me).  Which I verified with the BATF a couple of months ago. There has not been a letter posted in reference to the change so we don't sell the M16 carrier unless you have the proper approved form.

As for the pistol question, once you build a pistol AR15 it is a pistol.  If you ever add a buttstock and make it a rifle it is a rifle and can not be made back into a pistol.  It is a stupid law but it is there.

srt205
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Not meaning to hijack the thread but does anyone here work for Model1? I am in the process of trying to trade my model1 chrome bolt carrier group for a phosphur finish and need to know the brand of it. BTW, I ordered my upper kit from Model1 and has a great finish and no function probs whatsoever. Dremeled and tweaked my trigger some as I do almost all my rifles, shoots very smooth. If I had to nitpick, I did have a detent spring I had to cut, otherwise, I couldn't see htf I could get the pin in and I like all my parts branded so I know wtf I'm getting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I have built 4 kits personally, and have helped 3 friends build there’s at my house, and have recommended 2 friends in a different state to M1S. All of our experiences were positive. The kits are complete, and they are FAST to ship.

This was my favorite build, however I am now changing it up a bit to go with a fluted stainless barrel and a Miculek comp and a Clark carbon fiber hand guard. This gun even threw wolf 55 grain JHP’s < .75MOA consistently. PLUS… you simply can't beat their prices!

Here are two others...

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top