Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/1/2006 12:04:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 12:07:06 PM EDT by LattimerII]
I'm building a CMT/Stag M4gery. Everything CMT except I was going to use a DPMS hammer. On their website they have an A15 hammer and "E-m16" hammer. Which would you guys go with?

ETA- They look identical to me when you click on them and look at large view.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 1:34:11 PM EDT by eddiein1984]
Unlike most manufactures, the DPMS AR15 hammer doesn't have the superficial notch cut in the forward face. However, it still differs from the DPMS M16 hammer because it doesn't have the auto "tab" on the rear. Order the AR15 hammer. Better yet, order the DPMS hammer from Del-Ton so you don't have to wait a month.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:37:29 PM EDT
Gotcha. Appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:01:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 7:06:31 AM EDT by mongo001]

Originally Posted By eddiein1984:
Better yet, order the DPMS hammer from Del-Ton so you don't have to wait a month.

FWIW, every direct DPMS order I make arrives that week. While I don't use DPMS parts everywhere, this particular hammer I use in alot of my builds, if I can't find others. DPMS seems to be good to go as far as orders go.

Hammer Link
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:35:39 PM EDT
Why the different hammer styles? Does the notch serve a purpose?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:48:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mav-E:
Why the different hammer styles? Does the notch serve a purpose?

The notch in the AR-15 hammer serves to catch the bolt carrier, should the disconnector fail, preventing slam fires due to the hammer riding the carrier forward, or something like that. It causes more problems than it solves, when it locks up your FCG. It was, in a sense, a feel-good, PC move by some manufacturers to get away from M16 like parts. It really didn't do or solve anything.

A rounded topped hammer and a shrouded carrier makes for a smoother action overall.

Please correct me if I'm off here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:59:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mongo001:

A rounded topped hammer and a shrouded carrier makes for a smoother action overall.

Please correct me if I'm off here.

I hope you're not off because that's exactly why I'm going with this configuration.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:20:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 1:21:40 PM EDT by shamayim]
Mongo, you know durn good and well that your comments were "right on"

As far as I can see, DPMS's hammers are about the best out there for do it yourselfers. I do haunt the parts guys at shows though for mil surp M16 hammers, which I then turn into legal AR pieces by grinding off the auto sear tab.

And that's exactly what the DPMS pieces are; M16A2/M4 hammers w/the tab removed
Top Top