Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2005 8:29:54 PM EDT
I own a "post-ban" Colt Match HBar (20") with A2 sights.  What I would like to do is make some changes to this configuration and build up another uppper.  

In the end I'd like to 2 uppers.  One with an A2 receiver with a 16" barrel, CAR style stock, short handguards and a vertical foregrip.  The second one with a free floating barrel, flat top receiver, and sub moa barrel for varmints/targets using bullet weights from 62 to 79 gr.

Any recommendations for the least expensive way to go about this?  

Thanks!

FP  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
there are several vendors where you can get the upper you want.

Just buy that upper.... but beware, an upper w/o a lower will be whining for attention and you'll just end up getting another lower
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Which one should I buy, the target flat top, or the shorty?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I would get the Shorty A2 upper first because you allready have a 20 incher.  Especially if you consider your AR a "go to" rifle.  I'd probably just get a straight Armalite mid-length (what I'll probably get for my next AR) Later you can play with building the accurate scoped upper yourself.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Since I have an A2 receiver on my 20 incher, would you recommend building the rest of the 16, and using the A2 receiver I already own?  If I buy a completed A2 16" upper, then I'll have an extra A2 receiver when I build my target/varmint upper since I'll want to use a flat top.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
does the colt match lower have the large front pivot pin?

sould suck to have to have adapters for all those uppers.

the least expensive route would to probably buy from jt distributing which is pre-assembled.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, I don't know about pivot pin, but it seems pretty "large".  How would I be able to tell, and if it does, do I need a special adapter?

I may end up going the JT distributing route. . .I was hoping that there would be a practical way to utilize my upper receiver and sights, with a newer set of handguards and 16" barrel.  Then for the other configuration I  was thinking about purchasing a flat top receiver, free floating handguards, and utilize my existing barrel.  I was also planning to replace the stock with a CAR style.

When all is said and done, it looks like it may be cheaper to go with purchasing an assembled carbine upper and purchase or assemble a target upper from scratch.

Thanks again for all the help!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top