Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2003 1:53:19 PM EDT
Hi!  I read some of the posts here with interest, and I have a question.

I would like to install a free-float front handguard on my ArmaLite A4 upper.  Problem is the muzzle brake.  As you probably know, the ArmaLite rifles come with a rather efficient brake on the front.

It is hard to remove?  Is it welded or blind-pinned?  Is this something I can do myself, or would I be ahead just to buy a different upper?
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't quote me on this, but because the Armalite front sight base is a bolt-on (not pinned) I think it will spread enough to clear your muzzle break.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Even if  you can get the sight off, good luck getting a FF handguard assembly on ithout removing the brake.  How else would you get the old barrel nut off and the new one on?

I was going to buy a mid-length 16"  barrel for myv pre-ban project until I learned that Armalite barrels muzzle brakes are pinned and pressed.

Bummer, huh?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats a bad thing about Armalite...that stupid brake.
My Armalite barrel was threaded AND pinned. They didn't want that sucker falling off or anything.

Rick
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top