Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 6:08:45 PM EDT
Ok so what do you do when the strap wrench can't get the free float tube nut off that's been in place for years on a AR10T or SR25?!
I have:
1. Sprayed it, soaked it, even left it over night with liquid wrench in the threads.
2. Tapped all along the nut to try to vibrate some l.w. into the threads.
3. Even tried giant vise grips (using a piece of rubber to protect the surface).

STILL WON'T BUDGE

Oh yes and I was turning counter clockwise (left if looking from butt to muzzle)like my manual states for removal of the free float tube nut. :)

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry meant to say "free float tube nut"
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Heat gun, then strap wrench.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Heat! Sounds scary on such a nice rifle.

What kind of heat? Propane torch?

Does it need to be heated long?

Will it ruin the finish on the nut?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Read "Heat Gun".
Think of a blow dryer that gets very, very hot.

You can rent one, or just buy one at Home depot for $45.   They will heat to 450/600-degree range and will not ruin the anodizing finish.

The problem that you are having is that the nut was loctite'd, and you need to break the loctite bound.  The heat gun will heat the nut up enough to break the bound (450*), but not destroy the finish.  You could use a gas torch to break the bound(1500*), but if you allow the nut to get too hot, your going to darken the anodizing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
[:D]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Well heat did not do it. Liquid Wrench did not do it.

But my huge vise grips alone broke it free in 1/4 turn! They're getting re named the JAWS OF LIFE!

It's off!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top