Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2003 6:09:25 PM EDT
Can anyone who has purchased an upper or other part from Model1sales relate to me any good or bad experiences? I am planning on purchasing one of their flat top 20" uppers.

Only opinions from those who have actually dealt with Model1sales, please.

Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought a kit from them last year at Knob Creek and just bought a lightweight barrel last month. No problems here. I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You've already hit AR15 Discussions, Full Auto and this one. How many more forums do you intend to cross post this question in?

Your time would be better spend clicking on the Equipment Exchange and reading the Feedback forum rather than flooding the board.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You've already hit AR15 Discussions, Full Auto and this one. How many more forums do you intend to cross post this question in?

Your time would be better spend clicking on the Equipment Exchange and reading the Feedback forum rather than flooding the board.
View Quote

I didn't think 3 posts would be considered "flooding". I know not all people read all the boards, I just wanted to to get all the opinions I could. I apologize if this is considered improper.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bought a kit from them last year at Knob Creek and just bought a lightweight barrel last month. No problems here. I'd do it again.
View Quote

Thanks for your input! so far thats 2 positives and no negatives.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey ask as many people as you want, if somebody is gonna jump on you for asking more than one place dont sweat it.  Be [8D] man. We are all on the same side here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a 16" CAR kit from them (less than a week ago).

I placed the order online and I had the kit 3 days later.

Kit was great.  Installed it on my lower.  The parts kit even had an extra detent spring and pin.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

YMMV

Edited for shpelling...
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#7]
All, thanks for your input this really helps!

Altiga, thanks for your support, this is a great forum!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
DR,
I bought a postban carbine kit from them in May 2000 and a postban XM-177 kit in June of this year. The only problem that I have had is FTE with the carbine using Spanish Santa Barbara 62 gr ammo a couple of years ago. You can't blame that on the carbine,though, as all other brands of ammo that I tried(PMC, PMP, South African Battlepack, Winchester, and Guatamalan) have worked fine in both guns. I am quite pleased with their products. I also like the fact that though they are from Illinois, they regularly come to the Dayton, Ohio gun show.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
DR,
I have bought 3 rifle kits from them over the last 3 years and am very satified.  They stood behind a 2 stage RRA trigger kit that doubled on me too.  (1st kit)  I just ordered a lower parts kit with green furniture and received it 24 hrs later!  Usually takes 2-3 days.  Hope this helps,   Tim
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I have only made one purchase from them and I had no problems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a lower parts kit from them and was not real happy with the quality. Some parts were pretty crude and required some sanding with emery cloth, and my hammer was out of spec.

I ended up replacing a few parts with Bushmaster and never looked back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I've purchased two kits from them at Knob Creek, both 24" barrels, and had only one problem.  One mag release was out of spec and they immediately shipped me a new one.  For the price, I think the value is there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a 20 inch flat top upper from them. No problems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the input everybody!

DR
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Bought a flat top upper from them, and the Weaver rail was canted to the right (not sure how this could happen).  E-mailed them, and they replaced it immediately.  Seems that you may run across a sub-standard part now and then, but their policy on replacing defective parts is great.

SoL
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought a 16 inch lightweight very satisfied with it, but the I would have to agree the lower parts kits are of bad quality. Had a negative experience dealing with them replacing a trigger with sand baked onto it. I know I could have sanded it off, but for the money I paid I thought they should atleast replace it for me. And the trigger it was replaced with was exactly symetrical. Plus when i complained they said their was nothing wrong, and they cut off email communication when i demanded reimbursement for shipping and that the package be shipped priority mail. Instead it arrived 9 days after I originally put the package in the mail. Let me tell you those were 9 long days when everything else is sitting waiting to go.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I've gotten 2 16" kits from them...both experiences have been okay, with asterisks.  

The most recent kit came with a non functioning gas block...I had to send the rifle back.  The fixed it, and returned it to me...total turnaround was about 5 days.  The threw in some free stuff, and I asked them to reimburse me for shipping, which they agreed to do.  I never followed up on that, but they did agree to do it.  

I had to trim some coils off the detent springs on one of the kits, other than that. there were no problems.  

Both rifles shoot great now, and I'm happy with the experience.  They took care of the one major problem in pretty short order, which is important to me.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I had this same question and after lurking around on many web sites i decided to take a gamble and order a Model 1 20" free float flat top upper, on top of a armalite lower for my first AR15 build.  I was attracted to Model 1 because they seemed to offer more options, at least the ones i was looking for, along with a very well put together catalogue.  Some of the other distributers looked like they only offered a few of the more popular kits without many options, but i never called to find out.  My kit went together quick with no problems.  I set this gun up for short to medium range varmint hunting so i topped it with a wide angle 1.5-5X scope.  Let me tell you what, at the range this gun impressed me.  Even with a 5X i could keep 5 shots at a inch or under.  I am sure that with more magnification this gun would shoot with or possibly better than my bolt guns that i use for varmint hunting!  I could be wrong, or just got lucky, but i don't think you can go wrong with Model.    
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#19]
for those of you who have a flat top upper, what kind of accuracy did you get?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Both of my Model 1 rifles are flat tops.  My standard barrel contour Model 1 does sub moa with handloads.  I had to play around a little, since the only load I'd ever worked out was for my bolt .223 and my 20" AR.  

I tried some 4895, and some 69gr Match kings...I got 4 good groups of around 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch...and that's the first 20 rounds of that load I shot.  I've been too poor to buy enough bullets or powder to really experiment, but that rifle is as accurate as anything I own, with that load.  This was with my Simmons Aetec 12x and the ARMS # 22 mounts.  

The groups got tighter as the powder charge increased; I started from the minimum charge listed in the Sierra manual, going up by .4gr per batch of 20.  I don't remeber what the weight was, but just add 1.2 gr to the lightest charge listed for that powder and bullet, and you'll know where I was. The last 20 rounds were the ones that got nicely under moa, so I would guess I'm getting to the "sweet spot".  

My lightweight barrel Model 1 seems to shoot ok, I've never tried anything but my plinking load in it, and it's got a Tasco ProPoint 3 with the stock mount...so it's not really set up for precision shooting, as that's a 10moa dot.  It will put a 30round mag into a quarter sized hole at 25 yards from a bench, with no flyers or rounds way off target.  I would imagine it'll do an inch or so minimum if I were to slap a good scope on it and try some handloads.  

BTW, here's a pic so you can see the considerable difference between the two barrel diameters:
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/188491/lightweight003.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#21]
sounds good. i plan on building up a flat top and using it for medium range groundhog hunting and plinking. i'm thinking about using an 8-32x scope on it.

BTW, Fenian, are you going to the gunshow at the showplace in richmond this weekend? it should be a good time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#22]
cookhj, I'm actually headed to the beach this weekend for a little R and R.  I've never gone to any of the Richmond shows, although I hear they're much better than the ones around here.  I'd like to go at some point, but these days $$, or lack thereof, is a permanent problem.  For the foreseeable future, I'm lucky to be able to afford ammo lol...so it's just too tempting to go to shows and see stuff I can't get.

I'm hoping to go to the Hite Hollow shoot on the 25th, but that's kinda iffy.  I've got a buddy who'll go with me...I'm hoping he'll spring for some ammo hehehe.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Do the Model 1 uppers come completely assembled, or are they just loose parts kits?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#24]
The "Kit" from Model 1 comes with a completely assemled upper along with the lower parts kit including the stock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Not knocking Model 1 or pushing any of their competitors, but most people usually compare J&T, M&A, and Model 1.  

I've never heard of any bad parts from the first two, but I have heard of problems with Model 1 parts, as you note in this thread.

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#26]
got links for J&T and/or M&A?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I purchased two Model 1 kits and they both had selector detent pins that were too large.  I had to sand them down to fit into my lower receiver.  

I had a friend that ordered a M&A kit and it looked exactly the same as my model 1 kit.  I've seen J&T kits in person but never had time to look real close but they also look comparable to the Model 1 Sales kit and the M&A kit.

I bought the 16" lightweight barrel kit from Model 1 and it cost $400.  The same kit from M&A is $450.  The basic 16" CAR kit from J&T is $485.  Thats a big price difference if your on a budget.  The parts look the same to me and my rifle functions perfectly.  Not a single malfunction or problem.

[IMG]http://webpages.charter.net/lousar/pictures/AR-lightweight.jpg[/IMG]

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Iv'e purchased two parts kits from Model 1 and beed extremly happy with both. First I got one of their $400 post ban carbine sets then I bought the 24in bull bbl set and it does indeed shoot very acuratlly (at least its better than I am)

Shipping was prompt and both orders were complete and well packaged. Im happy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#29]

No links, but if you do a search they'll turn up.

Again, not knocking anyone, but I've looked closely at all three kits and they definitely are not the same quality--judging from more than a few of the kits I've seen and built. J&T is hands down better IMHO, followed by M&A and then by Model 1.

Quality of their parts kits is the biggest difference, followed by their use of things like poorly finished (or cast?) sight towers, non-spec handguards, etc.

I'm sure they all provide the quality they charge for, and if price was my only concern I'd buy the cheapest kit. If you want a little more quality it pays to compare, and you can't expect quality you don't pay for.

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I have just completed putting together two Model 1 Sales kits in the past three weeks and would be hesitant to recommend as a first build. As some others have noted, problems are small parts such as safety detent, mag release spring, take down pin detent and some tweaking of other parts. Unless you have the experience and/or access to some spare small parts, you are going to be pretty frustrated. I have looked very closely at the M&A parts kits and most of the parts appear from the same suppliers. The fit and finish of parts and uppers from both of these suppliers are generally marginal to substandard.

I have met in person and had telephone converations with the principals of both of these companies. A generally negative impression and experience. Not much of a customer focus from either company and difficulty in getting the right parts or exchanges.

Let the buyer beware or at least be warned.

J&T kits are better quality but overprice in my judgement. Rock River parts are the best in the industry and very cost competitive.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I have assembled many kits from various companies, I prefer m-aparts.com. After having numerous disappointments with other kit companies I have settled on m-aparts for my kits. A major majority of barrels are Mike Rock barrels, but when you order ask to see if they have any available. When assembling ar kits you need to keep in mind that you may need to hand fit some parts, this is what gunsmithing is all about. Hand fitting is the norm and even factory built firearms when new tend to have a need for a hand tweak to make them more accurate or to adjust the trigger, etc.

Comments on Mike Rock barrels
http:/-END Of Script Attempt-
s.xtremeaccuracy.com/Archive.cgi/noframes/read/38242

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Hand fitting parts should never have to occur in an AR-15 kit, where military specifications exist.

My JT Distributing kit was absolutely perfect, and I won't hesistate to order fromt hem again. I've seen MA Sales kits, and though usable, the quality is not the same as a JT kit.

AFAIK, most kit places use ER Shaw barrels; good stuff, from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I just purchased a Model 1 16" Upper CAR kit and had it from them in less than a week.
The Kit was well built with no flaws. I Installed it on my lower and went to the range. No Problems! The parts are well made and it seems to be extremly accurate.
I certinly wouldn't hesitate to buy from MODEL 1 SALES again.

Michael J

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#34]
So if M&A or Model 1 advertise a 20" flattop varmint upper for $345 in shotgun news.  Plus bolt carrier assembly for another $100.  Plus say $15 in shipping.   Your looking at $460.  Add another 20 bucks for the J&T version.  

Then why go that route when you could buy a RRA version for 480 plus 10-15 bucks in shipping, complete w/  bolt carrier assembly?  (isn't that the adco price?)  They're "only" 500 on the RRA website.   I've yet to hear a single complaint about RRA?  (I understand I am inviting complaints...)

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:28:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I recently bought a 20" postban kit from Model 1 to assemble to a Rock River lower. No complaints, I did find that the lower parts were not as easy to fit, as were a Bushmaster I assembled last month. All in all, I was pleased with the kit. I'd probably buy another one, but I don't mind a little custom fitting when building a gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I have brought from them and was happy. The service and product was great.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top