Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2003 8:20:20 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can get a .308 barrel for my new AR project.  I'm looking at about 22" with a huge Muzzle brake attached to it-something based on the AR50 or Barret .50cal brakes.  I need to get a barrel before I can do that.  If not, the ol' 5.56 is sufficient but I would like to have a .308 without it being an Armalite.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad no one knows where any of this stuff is available.  Looks like I'll be designing my own brake and having it cnc'd.  As for the barrel, I'm probably going to have to take a RRA SS Bull barrel due to its extreme diameter compared to other companies and have is bored out to .308.  I'm sure that will be a pretty penny so I'll try to find somebody else that can make one from scratch for less than modifying already existing parts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I am guessing you could get a 308 barrel from DPMS. I know they sell a complete 308 now so I bet they sell the barrel separately too. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
pdms has 308 barrels and lower rec.'s but im pretty sure there are about the same price as an armalite so id just go w/ them.

check out quantico arms for good prices on ar10 parts
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure you have probably researched it already, but you are going to run into a lot of complications in trying to upsize an AR15 to .308, if that is what you are considering. Boring out a .224 barrel and re rifling it is a project that would cost an arm and leg if you could even find anyone to do it. It would also probably produce less than desirable results.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out [url]www.ar15barrels.com[/url]. He will make you a custom barrel to your specs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I figured it would cost an arm an leg but i dont want an armalite take-off and dpms said they wont sell me the barrel only for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 3:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get a .308 barrel for my new AR project.  I'm looking at about 22" with a huge Muzzle brake attached to it-something based on the AR50 or Barret .50cal brakes.  I need to get a barrel before I can do that.  If not, the ol' 5.56 is sufficient but I would like to have a .308 without it being an Armalite.
View Quote

Are you talking .308 Winchester on an AR-15 upper?

If so, it won't work.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Really because my friend whosa smith built one, ive seen it. Saw it chamber and everything.  I know the AR10 is modified.  He doesn't know where the barrel was from because the customer brought it to him to assemble.  Said it was tough though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#9]
What type of cartridge and magazine are you using?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:14:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Really because my friend whosa smith built one, ive seen it. Saw it chamber and everything.  I know the AR10 is modified.  He doesn't know where the barrel was from because the customer brought it to him to assemble.  Said it was tough though.
View Quote

[b]NFW[/b]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#11]
i just cant see a 308 cartridge fitting in an ar15 mag well.  ive never tried it so i could be wrong but i would guess youd HAVE to have an ar10 rec. at least.  unless maybe you hand loaded each shot through the port which im still not sure about.

im gonna go try it...
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#12]
the mag well is about an 1/8" too small.  you can fit it through the port though.  
MAYBE if you milled out the grooves on the inside of the rec. it would give you enough room but i dont think so.  seems like a bunch of hassle for nuttin to me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The AR-15 lower receiver is 1/2" too short to take a 308, it just won't fit. You can do 7.62x39, but not 308.
There are no .308 bolts for AR-15 uppers.
There are no .308-chambered barrels that will fit a AR-15 upper.

Can not be done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I never said the magazine had to function, i just said i wanted a .308 barrel.  His mag had a single shot follower so thats how it worked.  With some huge grain bullets loaded in 5.56 caliber, single feed mags have to be used anyway.  This is a target gun so it is not necessary to have a 100rd drum mag or anything of the such.  Sorry for the confusion, but the question was simply where i could get a .308 barrel machined to fit an AR receiver not if a .308 would fit in a mag.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I never said the magazine had to function, i just said i wanted a .308 barrel.  His mag had a single shot follower so thats how it worked.  With some huge grain bullets loaded in 5.56 caliber, single feed mags have to be used anyway.  This is a target gun so it is not necessary to have a 100rd drum mag or anything of the such.  Sorry for the confusion, but the question was simply where i could get a .308 barrel machined to fit an AR receiver not if a .308 would fit in a mag.
View Quote

Still [b]N[/b]o [b]F[/b]ucking [b]W[/b]ay.

The case head on a .308 Winchester is .473" nominal.

The bolt head on an AR-15 is .527" nominal.

That leaves only .027" of bolt surrounding the case head.  Not enough metal.

You could go with a larger bolt but then that means a larger diameter barrel extension and that means a larger diameter upper and that means AR10.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:40:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you may be confused.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok. You're going to custom fit a 308 barrel to a Ar15 receiver. Then you're going to have a custom bolt machined to adapt an AR15 to a 308 case. Then a special carrier made to fit the special bolt. Then you're going to take it to the range and single feed each round manually through the ejection port because it will not feed thru the mag well.

Then you're going to wake up and realize it was all a bad dream.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#18]
And this is better than a bolt action rifle how?  You can get a tack driving Savage for less than an AR, or a more elite and accessorizeable Remington for the the same as an AR.  Why anyone makes a single shot AR-15 is beyond me, though I can see loading single 223 rounds of greater length once in a while if you have no other 223 rifle.

Yeah, I know, just saying the obvious.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top