Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/6/2003 2:54:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2003 2:55:33 PM EDT by Fenian]
I have a well trained UPS guy lol...anything requiring a sig gets delivered to the stay at home soccer mom accross the street...if she only knew

When I took the upper out of the box, still wrapped up in about 10 sheets of paper, it didn't feel that light...but when I finally got it unwrapped, all I can say is "wow"...that's one light upper.

I went ahead and removed the LE buttstock from the lower I'm using, and installed the CAR stock. Overall, the rifle is extremely light, I'd say right around 5lbs...given the weight of the components...I'll try to figure it out exactly later.

BTW, the charging handle in this kit is as good as any other one I've seen, so the first one I got might have been a fluke. Fit and finish seem fine, so once again, Model 1 has proven satisfactory. Now, if we could *just* get them to lube the friggin' bolt carrier group before they ship it...Jeeshhh...that puppy was dry as a bone.

Don't know if I'll make it to the range tonight, but I'll post a range report when I shoot it. Here's some pics:

Here's one of the barrel...compare it to the bic pen right below:

This is pretty much how this rifle will stay...they'll be no festooning on this one lol...it would defeat the purpose of this build, and I'm too broke anyway.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:39:19 PM EDT
Looks nice Fenian! I'm a new member here, but I've been lurking around for a while. I've been trying to decide on whether to go with a Model 1 kit or a J&T kit, and I think you're new acquisition just sealed the deal! Post back and let us know how she feels/shoots when you get it to the range. J
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:30:23 PM EDT
Nice looking rifle, Fenian. Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:36:36 PM EDT
My best guestimate is that the rifle is around 5.2 lbs, based on some of the different weight measurements I took myself, and from the MD AR-15 shooter's site. I'm gonna have to get a scale that goes past 2 lbs, so I can weigh the damnt thing myself. That barrel *really* looks thin compared to everything else I own. I'm gonna bet it heats up really fast...so I guess I'll be able to check the "wandering" POI that some people have mentioned. I didn't get to the range tonight...probably tomorrow, if I can scrounge some ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:59:36 AM EDT
One "festoon-ment" you could add that would be light would be a plastic cased single cell flashlight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:45:00 AM EDT
Actually, I will probably do that. My "festooning" comment was private joke as a result of another thread about my "swiss army rifle", and the number of accoutrements I had accululated for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:48:26 AM EDT
Here's another pic I took which shows the size of the barrel in relation to a stantard barrel profile. (The standard barrel looks just like my Armalite HBAR, so I don't know what's up with that). [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/188491/lightweight003.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 2:39:58 PM EDT
yea, I love my lightweight from model 1....I ground the rail off the gas block,and it did not come with the sling swivle...I screwed a full lenght tube on mine....havent goten around to cutting it off yet..... [url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=51496&c=529&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/051496.jpg[/img][/url]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:46:40 AM EDT
My Model 1 bolt was dry as well...Why dont they lub it?
Top Top