Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2003 11:47:28 AM EDT
I drove down to Quantico Arms this morning and picked up a couple of Eagle Arms lowers, and an Armalite lower parts kit.  Dave strolled in while I was finishing up my paperwork, and I managed to beat him into the "get $5 off your parts kit when you buy two lowers" offer...don't try that at home hehehe.  They're running low on lowers, folks, I think they only had about 6 left after I got mine.  

After an uneventful trip down and back the dreaded I95--and I just gotta apologize to all you poor slobs who have to travel through Springfield on your way to wherever, because it is without a doubt an absolute abomnination--I got home safeley with my stuff.  

I printed out the instructions here on the home page, and set to work.  I managed to get the bolt retainer roll pin in with a plastic punch, if you can believe it, only needed a metal punch for that last millimeter or so.  Every thing else went smoothley, except for the front pivot pin.  

Even though I knew the BBT was bringing the tool from Brownell's, I was still determined to at least try at get the detent pin in.  The same plastic punch I used for the bolt release fit into the reciever perfectly...so I got the spring and detent in, and pushed the plastic punch through to retain it.  Then I grabbed the pin, and started to push it in from the other side.  All seemed well, they "sproing", and the spring and detent go flying.  I heard them hit the ceiling, but low and behold the AR Gods were with me, because I actually managed to find both pieces!

Lacking any common sense whatsoever, I tried again hehehe.  This time, it went sproing before I got the plastic punch all the way in.  Once again, though, after keenly listening to all the ricochets around the area, I was able to find both pieces.  

Now, at this point, common sense and my stubborn Irish temper were duking it out.  I decided to try again, but this time I rigged a little back stop with an empty cardboard box and a few shop rags.  I again managed to get the spring and detent AND the punch in, but once again it all fell apart when I tried to put the takedown pin in.  

At that point, I admitted defeat...walked out the front door, got my package from Brownell's with the detent tool in there, and did it the right way.  I think it took less than 30 seconds from the time I got the tool out 'til I had the pin in lol.  MUCH easier!  

Everything seems to work fine, the trigger pull isn't too bad--better than my latest RRA lower, that's for sure.  Now, all I gotta do is figure out which buttstock I'm putting on the other lower, and order another parts kit.  I'm gonna try a DPMS kit, for grins, but the Armalite kit was absolutely perfect; I don't see how it could be any easier.  

Along with the take down pin tool, I also got my roll punches and starter punches.  I'm pretty sure you guys WON'T be mushrooming the starter pins; even though I didn't use them this time, I can see that they'd be very handy.  

All in all, I'm happy...now, if I just had more money, I could build more rifles lol.  

Oh, yeah, if you go down to see the fine folks at Quantico Arms...I was so pre-occupied with getting my stuff that I walked right past the parking meter hehehe...good new is the ticket is only $10

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics???
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't take any pics, since I'm waiting on the CAR kit from Model 1...no buttstock/buffer tube.  I could snap a quick pic, though, if you need one.

pics:
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/188491/lower1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/188491/lower2.jpg[/img]

Haven't figured out whether I'm gonna use the fake collapsable stock that comes with the CAR kit, or use a stubby w/spacer.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top