Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2002 1:50:08 PM EDT
If I buy a stripped upper and a barrel assembly, what do I need to do to put it together?  Anything else I will need to complete the upper besides the bolt and carrier?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, I'll give it a shot:
charging handle
ejection port cover assembly
forward assist assembly (possibly)
rear sight assembly (if not a flattop)

If not included with the barrel:
delta ring
snap ring
weld spring
barrel nut

Since you said "stripped lower", of course you would neet the parts kit for that and a buttstock assembly.

Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quite a few things I didn't think of.  What about physically putting it together.  Any special tools I'll need?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I am getting ready to do the same. You will need an Armorer's Action Block, Armorer's Barrel Wrench, Torque wrench, Headspace Gauges, Firing Pin Protrusion Gauge, and possibly Gas Tube Wrench,& Barrel Vise Jaw Blocks.

These are available through Bushmaster or Brownells and maybe elsewhere I don't about yet. I haven't had a chance to compare prices yet either. Let me know how it goes.

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If the barrel comes with the barrel extension on it you wont need the head space gauges.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
(KEY)IF YOU HAVE A FRIEND WITH A C/R FFL,HE,OR SHE CAN GET YOU THE PARTS FROM BROWNELLS AT DEALERS PRICES..I LOVE MY C/R,NO HASSELS,ALOT OF GOOD SIDE OFFERS,LIKE AMMO,TOOLS,WIDNERS GIVES A BREAK TO C/R HOLDERS,ETC.ETC.YOU JUST HAVE TO ASK,AND IF THEY DON'T GIVE A $$$ BREAK,LOOK ELSE WHERE.TAPCO GIVES A BREAK ALSO..EASY TO GET,EASY TO DEAL WITH.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The bad thing about Brownells is that they only discount items that are likely to be put in a retail store, like spring kits, barrels, replacement parts.

Gunsmith tools are not on that discount list.  Bluing salts, gages, etc. do not get a discount.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top