Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/4/2002 1:50:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2002 3:06:18 PM EDT by medicmandan]
If I buy a stripped upper and a barrel assembly, what do I need to do to put it together? Anything else I will need to complete the upper besides the bolt and carrier?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 2:53:47 PM EDT
OK, I'll give it a shot:
charging handle
ejection port cover assembly
forward assist assembly (possibly)
rear sight assembly (if not a flattop)

If not included with the barrel:
delta ring
snap ring
weld spring
barrel nut

Since you said "stripped lower", of course you would neet the parts kit for that and a buttstock assembly.

Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:05:19 PM EDT
Quite a few things I didn't think of. What about physically putting it together. Any special tools I'll need?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:14:26 PM EDT
I am getting ready to do the same. You will need an Armorer's Action Block, Armorer's Barrel Wrench, Torque wrench, Headspace Gauges, Firing Pin Protrusion Gauge, and possibly Gas Tube Wrench,& Barrel Vise Jaw Blocks.

These are available through Bushmaster or Brownells and maybe elsewhere I don't about yet. I haven't had a chance to compare prices yet either. Let me know how it goes.

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 8:10:58 AM EDT
If the barrel comes with the barrel extension on it you wont need the head space gauges.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:27:07 PM EDT
(KEY)IF YOU HAVE A FRIEND WITH A C/R FFL,HE,OR SHE CAN GET YOU THE PARTS FROM BROWNELLS AT DEALERS PRICES..I LOVE MY C/R,NO HASSELS,ALOT OF GOOD SIDE OFFERS,LIKE AMMO,TOOLS,WIDNERS GIVES A BREAK TO C/R HOLDERS,ETC.ETC.YOU JUST HAVE TO ASK,AND IF THEY DON'T GIVE A $$$ BREAK,LOOK ELSE WHERE.TAPCO GIVES A BREAK ALSO..EASY TO GET,EASY TO DEAL WITH.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 9:40:09 AM EDT
The bad thing about Brownells is that they only discount items that are likely to be put in a retail store, like spring kits, barrels, replacement parts.

Gunsmith tools are not on that discount list. Bluing salts, gages, etc. do not get a discount.
Top Top