Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/18/2003 6:33:03 AM EDT
Here is the rig: 16" HBAR Bushy with FF-RAS. The plain-jane G2 is mounted in the 6 o'clock position in Millet low-mount 1" rings attached to the very front of the RAS.

So far the G2 (no shock isolated bezel or any other gizmos) has lasted about 500rds of SB SS109, been knocked out of the mount 3-4 times, used as an improvised rest, been hammered on with a block of wood, and dropped from a height of about 3-4' onto concrete (after being ripped from its mount).

I am real impressed with the G2; but the Millet scope ring I used to mount it isn't getting it done. The mount screws appear to loosen with shooting vibration or the polymer on the G2 is just extremely spongy.

I still can't tell what is happening, just that I'll look down and my G2 will be on the ground even though the rings are still too narrow for me to put the G2 back in without using the allen wrench to open them up (thus the hammering incident where in frustration I stuffed the G2 partway into the rings and then hammered on the face of the lamp with a wood block until it went back into the mount rather than unscrew everything yet again). Using the G2 as an improvised rest over barriers appears to exacerbate the problem.

So G2= good. 1" Millet low-mount rings = unsat.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:55:52 AM EDT
BR, Thanks for the information. I found my G2 would also work its way along the Fobus mount no matter how hard I cranked down on it. One thing I'm considering is to take a small piece of course sand paper and use some rubber cement to hold the paper to the mount. I figure the added friction should keep the light in place.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:31:46 AM EDT
I had a similar problem with a Pelican M6 (I think?) light in a First Samco mount. The light kept working loose. I put a little electrical tape around the light and put it back in the mount. So far it has held very well. Thanks for the info on the G2. Good to know.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:06:45 AM EDT
I guess I'm not the only one to find their polymer bodied light on the ground. I am using a TACMIII light in a Phobus mount on one rig, and both the mount grippers and the light body are smooth plastic. I was going to try some grip tape. I suppose if I walk outside in the -33F, it will just fall out all on it's own when everything shrinks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:57:22 AM EDT
Bartholomew_Roberts, thanks for the update. I plan on going with the G2 Nitrolon as a weapons light. Nice to know it's holding up. As for the mounting issue, try sliping a piece of bike innertube between the light and ring. Should help hold the light in place and may provide some shock relief.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:24:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AK_Mike: I guess I'm not the only one to find their polymer bodied light on the ground.
View Quote
Mine didn't end up on the ground - but I did notice it was getting harder to reach the button!
I am using a TACMIII light in a Phobus mount on one rig,
View Quote
I used the same setup for a course. Interesting note - I couldn't place the light so the mount was on the end of the light, The mount had to be in the middle of the light or the light would not work. Really Strange! Now that I think about it I do have some skateboarder's tape leftover from that class (an elbow pad enhancement). Its basically course sandpaper with a sticky bac, it should do the job.
try sliping a piece of bike innertube between the light and ring
View Quote
Ohh another use for Ranger Bands! I don't know if it will fit in the mount, but I'll try it first.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:38:13 AM EDT
I tried the 'Ranger Band' Trick last night with a TACM 3 /Fobus Ligth mount combo. It didn't work - the band was too thick. However the skateboard tape did work well and I look foward to trying it out at the range.
Top Top