Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 3:38:31 PM EDT

But it's because I've never bought one...ever.

I've read the other posts about 3 point, single point and such and am not sure what I think I'd like.

I've got a RRA 16" M4 profile with the oval handguards and an A2 stock.

I like the single point since you can use it weak side, but I'm not sure the mount will get in my way as I only pull the left side of the charging handle and am not sure if my index finger would clip the mount.

I like 3 point as it lends itself to various carry positions and just from what I've seen in the pictures, it looks easier to 'get into.'

I THINK, and that's a big leap of faith for me, that the SOP sling is what I'm looking for, but as I mentioned I've got no clue what I'm doing beyond the research I've done.

While I'm at it, I'll probably get a Battlegrip and a sling for my 590 as well so if we've got a partner that has it all in one stop I'm good to go.

Oh, and merry Christmas to me.  

Edit: duh, forgot to ask.

So what do you guys think?  Any alternative suggestions or whatnot?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Trial and error my friend.  You have to see what you like/works for you best.  I started with the standard sling, and it slipped off my rifle dumping my muzzle into the mud, so I went with a CQB Solutions 3 point sling, which I liked very much and still have them on my other AR's and an AK.  Like you said, I wanted to be able to transition nicely from strong to weak side, so I bought a Wilderness single point sling, that came with a G.G.G. reciever plate.  Well just like you said I had trouble working the charging handle, which eventually I could have eventually adapted.  However I was turned onto Z&M weapons single point bungee sling with a hook attachment. So I bought a DPMS reciever plate with a small hole single point sling mount and have been happy ever since.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like the single point since you can use it weak side, but I'm not sure the mount will get in my way as I only pull the left side of the charging handle and am not sure if my index finger would clip the mount.
View Quote
 They always clip mine with the standard charging handle.  Extended handles avoid that problem but may cause otehr problems.

I like 3 point as it lends itself to various carry positions and just from what I've seen in the pictures, it looks easier to 'get into.'
View Quote
 They're about the same as far as getting in and out of them.  The main difference is that the added flexibility of the single point comes at the expense of flopping around more when it's just hanging by the sling.

I THINK, and that's a big leap of faith for me, that the SOP sling is what I'm looking for, but as I mentioned I've got no clue what I'm doing beyond the research I've done.
View Quote
These work well, with more flexibility than most 3-points but with better control than a single point.  I won't be able to get to my SOP sling for a couple of weeks but I've got that along with regular 3 point and single point from the Wilderness so you can have a look at each before deciding.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a similar question.  I just recently bought my first AR, and I love it! [:D] But I now want to accessorize it.  I am looking at a 3 point sling, but I not exactly sure which one I need.  I’ve narrowed it down to a 3 point sling because it seems to offer the most versatile applications.  I have a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S with the fixed collapsible stock.  From what I have read on here, the CQB slings are good.  Which one would be recommended for my gun[?] I am a “noob” [>:/] and do not want to make a critical error!    Thank you.

[USA]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got a similar question.  I just recently bought my first AR, and I love it! [:D] But I now want to accessorize it.  I am looking at a 3 point sling, but I not exactly sure which one I need.  I’ve narrowed it down to a 3 point sling because it seems to offer the most versatile applications.  I have a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S with the fixed collapsible stock.  From what I have read on here, the CQB slings are good.  Which one would be recommended for my gun[?] I am a “noob” [>:/] and do not want to make a critical error!    Thank you.

[USA]
View Quote

Well, most likely you won't get it right the first time, but in the AR world, slings are relatively cheap.

Great products from these guys:

[url]http://www.cqbsolutions.com/slings.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Second CQB Solutions. e-mail Jeff Orchard there and tell him exactly what you have for a rifle. He knows his shit and will send you exactly what you need.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to SailorDude and bsbg for your replies.
After looking at the CQB site, it looks like I will go with the SOP sling.  It appears as if it will provide the versatility that I am after.  Thanks again!  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
These work well, with more flexibility than most 3-points but with better control than a single point.  I won't be able to get to my SOP sling for a couple of weeks but I've got that along with regular 3 point and single point from the Wilderness so you can have a look at each before deciding.
View Quote

It took me reading this three times before I realized you offered to let me check them out.  Man sometimes I wonder if I ever did pass reading comprehension.

Thanks Hop.  Where abouts are you?  I'm in F'burg.

z2984, welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for CQB Solutions and Jeff; great company, great guys, great products, and great service...

I just got a GG&G rectangular right hand receiver end plate adapter and MOUT single point QD sling in olive drab for my Bushy M4gery…

I love it and I couldn't be happier...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, just when I thought I had made a decision I really started to read the descriptions about the MOUT and the CST slings, I am not sure which one I want now! [>:/]  I guess I will just have to buy one and if it does not suit my needs/comfort, I will buy another one!  I appreciate the input!  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
To me unless you plan on patrolling for long periods of time with your rifle/carbine in a horizontal attitude I see no real advantage for a 3-point sling.  If you do, the Spec-Op SOP Sling with TRB is the way to go…

I do have a CQB Solutions ‘CQB’ sling for my Standard Model M1A, but I can't see ever doing any room clearing with that rifle. If I was doing any room clearing it would be with my M4gery.

My AR is a pre-ban Colt Sporter Match H-Bar, but it is mostly in a carbine configuration with a 16" Bushy M4gery upper.

The only reason I want a sling on my AR is for worst-case scenarios. An armed confrontation leading up to, engaging in, or averting a gunfight will be a very stressful situation.  I will be in an adrenaline pumped state and many unfavorable physiological reactions that come along with that.  In addition to adverse environmental conditions (rain, hail, sleet, snow, extreme heat, low visibility, blinding light, etc…) poor physiological conditions (injured, exhausted, colt, wet, dirty/muddy/slimy, hot & sweaty, etc…)  It’s likely I might bump into something unexpected, fall, or just plain fumble my weapon and I don’t want lose it. Furthermore if I run dry or have a type-III malfunction I can simple drop my rifle without losing control of it transition to my sidearm to stay in the fight until the threat is neutralized.

This is why I like my CQB Solutions MOUT QD sling so much, KISS…  It mounts cleanly on the weapon with a receiver end plate adapter, I choose a GG&G rectangular plate. With the MOUT there is not much to get caught on thing as there is nothing forward of the rear of the receiver. Transitions from strong to weak side are seamless, and the weapon is secure. If I need to climb a ladder, jump a fence, with a single point sling I can simple rotate the sling around my neck where my weapon is on my back to climb. Additionally if I must get away from my weapon if it did snag on something, or I need to mount / dismount a vehicle I don’t need to climb into/out-of the sling and have it possibly get caught up on anything on my tactical vest, I can just simply disconnect/reconnect the fastex buckle…

Just my $0.02

Good luck on your decision,
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
My vote is for the MOUT sling. IMO, it is a generational improvement over the 3 point style. It mounts at 1 point using a stock adapter and hangs straight, muzzle down, so as to not get tied up with your sidearm.   The 3 point slings usually hang at an angle and were more awkward to run with.  The MOUT also has a quick release buckle, so it is not a pain to get in and out of if you wear for short periods of time.  THE HST sling is very similiar to the MOUT,  but I prefer the MOUT because of the quick release buckle.

Pictures of both are at: [url] http://www.cactustactical.com/cqbslings.html [/url]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top