Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 4:33:10 PM EDT
I'm at the beginning stages of my first ever build. I have a Stag lower, RR lower parts pack, VLTOR stock and Hogue Grip. I'll be adding a complete upper/barrel/receiver in the future.

(I'm ASSUMING that by buying a "complete" upper/receiver/barrel package I eliminate concerns about headspace, etc.?!?)

In the meantime, I've also bought an EO 512 and a 6-24X scope.

I'm debating a 20" "all purpose" barrel... with interchangeable mount for the EO and the scope. If I go that route, is there a mount-system that would give me the best luck at not having to do too much "re-zeroing" as I change between the two optic systems?!?

OR... the alternative would be to mount the 6-24X onto one upper with 24" barrel, and the EOtech on a different upper with a 16" barrel.

I'm trying to build the "one-platform-does-it-all" rifle, knowing full well I'll probably build 2 or 3 different AR15's eventually for different purposes and use different optics on the different platforms. I guess I'm thinking initially a SHTF rifle with EOtech but with the OPTION of playing around with longer-range shooting for fun with the 6X24X.

In the meantime- any thoughts? Suggestions? Input? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ahh questions I can answer...

1.  Your lower parts are a good choice.  I have something similar on one of mine.

2.  You are correct.  No head space issues with factory builds (unless they screw up).

3. ARMS SIR or GG&G have great mounts that do not require re-zeroing.  I know because I use them both.

4.  I like you thinking  on the ARs.  I started with a 20" bushmaster from the factory that I modified over the years.  Then I added a 16" A2 commando.  Then a 14+2" M4gery A3.  Then a 223 pistol.  Then a 9mm AR pistol.  Then I bought another 20" and sold it.  Then I build my brother a 20" for his birthday.  Now I am working on a 458 socom carbine.  It's a sickness you know...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I forgot to add.  There are many rail systems you can add to avoid re-zeroing.

Samson, Troy, Midwest Industries, ARMS SIR, VLTOR, Yankee Hill, and the list goes on.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Larue has a great mount for the Eothingy that raises the sight and allows for a lower third cowitness. Larue
GG&G makes the accucam as a replacement mounting solution for the EO's mounting system that I believe will retain zero. Yhm also makes an inexpensive riser that is in this same post.
GG&G and YHM
If it were my money I'd opt for the Larue. Great company, great people, great products, Period!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top