Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 10:01:07 AM EDT
All you guys who have ACOGs, what kind of accuracy do you get out of your acog at 50 to 100 yrds? I have a bushmaster shorty with a 16 in superlight barrel and a smith ent. vortex on the end. I have a trijicon TA01 NSN mounted in the groove of my carry handle.  I usually shoot winchester 55gr bullets.
It seems like last time i went to the range, my gun was grooping like shit. At 50yds i had .5 inch groups and at 100 yds, i had 4 or 5 inch groups. it seems like its never consistent. Is something maybee with my gun or the scope? Im trying to figure out whats wrong. Please give me your opinions.

thanks,
Doug
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
the carry handle is themount. The scope mounts in the channel of the carry handle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the carry handle is themount. The scope mounts in the channel of the carry handle.

What he is trying to say is that mounting shit to the carry handle usually produces problems like lose of zero so make sure the mount is tight.

I had a TAo1 mounted on my M16A2 in the army and I never had problems.  Then agian I locktightened the screw that mounts the ACOG to the carry handle so try first try that because you should be getting at least 1MOA on that scope I know this because thats what my old setup would produce.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#4]
i tried the locktite. I put some on there b4 i cinched down the scope.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i tried the locktite. I put some on there b4 i cinched down the scope.

You may have a problem with the scope then.  If the scope is broken inside you can send it back to trijicon I had to do that with a TR21 and they were steller with service.  

I hate to say this but are you sure its not just your shooting ability. I have used my m16a2 like a bat one time and my scope never lost its zero.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I would have to say it is the way it is mounted that is causing the prob.
I am assuming you have a A2 fixed handle? you did not say.

Next issue are you shooting by bench rest, prone, etc?

What have you recently done to the rifle? added anything, fixed anything? Dropped it by chance?

The track record of the ACOG is so good that I feel it is not related to the optic directly.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#7]
grouping has nothing to do with the optic
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I am shooting from a bench using sand bags. I have never dropped my rifle. i havent added anything to my gun lately. i clean my gun just about every time i shoot it. I swab the barrel about every 1 to 2 hundred shots. if i would had to guess ive had less than 500 rds through it since i had it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#9]
What kind of ammo are you using ?

You should not expect sub MOA from even the best
mass produced ammo . Even with quality match ammo
the results will vary from weapon to weapon .

You need to try a few diff brands and weights to find
the one that shoots the tightest from your gun , and then
establish your desired zero for the round .  

After that you should be able to accurately track for zero
shift in an optic .
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Let someone else try shooting it.    I'm not automatically assuming you can't shoot, but seeing how we haven't seen you shoot before, we can't discredit the possibility shooter error.  I say that with absolutely no disrespect intended.  

Another possibility is that you got a crap BM barrel.  I know a lot of people here like them, but I don't.  I bought a BM a few years ago and it shot worse than yours.  I know it wasn't me because I was getting great groups out of my Colt's and Armalite A2s.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#11]
with my ta31f on my recon i got clovers at 100yds
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top