Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:33:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 4:47:41 PM EDT by wantabe]
I was at range today. I was told that I would shoot better if I aimed at six o'clock. Setting my sights so to hit at X. Now at $ .55 a shot I need help. I am zeroed at one hundred yards. How many clicks do I go up to zero at two hundred? I have a sixteen inch barrel.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:53:02 PM EDT
Not much info there, without knowing your you ammo , or the size of the target, weather conditions(I'm gonna assume you're using a AR15/M16) I'd say spend the .55 per round and zero the rifle at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:04:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kraigWY:
Not much info there, without knowing your you ammo , or the size of the target, weather conditions(I'm gonna assume you're using a AR15/M16) I'd say spend the .55 per round and zero the rifle at 200 yards.

I'm thinking at $.55 a shot, you're not shooting 5.56...

If you are, and it's just darned expensive .223, try sighting in 1" high at 100 yards for starters. That should get you close to that 200 yard mark you're looking for.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:05:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wantabe:
I was at range today. I was told that I would shoot better if I aimed at six o'clock. .

Not really true. You don't shoot better - but you do get a better REPEATBLE sight picture. That will contribute greatly to improved grouping.

Here is the problem: The 6:00 sight picture only works with target set up at specific ranges, with black areas of a specific size. The bullet is NOT going to the point of aim - but to some offset position.

That is fine if you are just target shooting or doing DCM type competion. It is nearly useless for hunting or defensive shooting, and darn frustrating when plinking IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:02:23 PM EDT
I had not thought about the self defense point. I think I will zero in at one hundred yards on front sight ,with rear sight all the way down. Then I will zero rear sight to two hundred yards. Aiming for dead center. Not six o'clock. Thanks for input.
Top Top