Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2006 1:37:51 PM EDT
This is just my opinion, but wouldn't the best combination be the ACOG TA01 with the Docter Optic?  This way you'd get precision with the TA01 and speed with the Docter optic.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This is just my opinion, but wouldn't the best combination be the ACOG TA01 with the Docter Optic?  This way you'd get precision with the TA01 and speed with the Docter optic.

What is the best combination is subjective and based upon personal needs and values. If you feel, based upon your needs and values, that the aforementioned combination would be best for you than how can anyone disagree with you? After all, they are not you and cannot determine your needs unless you effectively communicate them.

Based upon that, I cannot agree or disagree with your opinion because I do not know what your needs are. However, if you were to do extensive research on this subject, you would find that it is not as popular as you might think. Why that is, I leave for you to answer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear what you are saying, Matt, but I've always been the type to favor versatility over something that is just good at one thing.  That is why I personally like a 1X4 scope over an Aimpoint or Eotech.  That was my point.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I hear what you are saying, Matt, but I've always been the type to favor versatility over something that is just good at one thing.

While I understand what you're saying, it's also worth considering that versatility often comes at the price of maximum effectiveness. I just picked up an Accupoint 1.25x4 optic and while it's definitely the most versatile optic I have owned, it's not as good at certain things (specifically, close range work and keep the reticle lit in certain lighting conditions). I tried running an Aimpoint M3 with an Aimpoint magnifier and while it was a versatile set-up, I decided it was more complicated than I would like.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hear what you are saying, Matt, but I've always been the type to favor versatility over something that is just good at one thing.

While I understand what you're saying, it's also worth considering that versatility often comes at the price of maximum effectiveness. I just picked up an Accupoint 1.25x4 optic and while it's definitely the most versatile optic I have owned, it's not as good at certain things (specifically, close range work and keep the reticle lit in certain lighting conditions). I tried running an Aimpoint M3 with an Aimpoint magnifier and while it was a versatile set-up, I decided it was more complicated than I would like.

I also ran the M3 with the Magnifier and I didn't think it was versatile.  I thought it wasn't a good combination at all.  Scopes like the Shmidt and Bender 1.1X4, IOR 1.1X4, Horus Vision 1X4, and the Leupold CQT with the new reticle are excellent examples of good versatile scopes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I just visited Trijicon's site and now I know what you mean. I didn't know they had a TA31 w/Dr. Optic from the factory.

Yeah, I don't get that either. That makes no sense.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just visited Trijicon's site and now I know what you mean. I didn't know they had a TA31 w/Dr. Optic from the factory.

Yeah, I don't get that either. That makes no sense.

I mean, Trijicon's claim to fame is the BAC concept with both eyes open.  So why would you need a red dot on top of the ACOG?  That is why I thought that the TA01 with the Docter optic would be a great idea.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I mean, Trijicon's claim to fame is the BAC concept with both eyes open.

BAC is a great compromise between a red dot and an magnified optic but for some folks, it will never be just as fast as a red dot. Also, Trijicon's reticule will not lit up in certain lighting conditions. You still have a reticle albeit a black one.

So why would you need a red dot on top of the ACOG?  That is why I thought that the TA01 with the Docter optic would be a great idea.
Well, a TA-01's reticule isn't illuminated during the day due to the lack of fiber optic.

The downside of the TA31DOC is you now how a battery powered optic to deal with that you cannot shut off unless you put the Dr. Optic's hood on. The battery in the Dr. Optic will last around 3 yrs but in order to change it, you have to remove the sight from the mount via 4 small screws.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I mean, Trijicon's claim to fame is the BAC concept with both eyes open.

BAC is a great compromise between a red dot and an magnified optic but for some folks, it will never be just as fast as a red dot. Also, Trijicon's reticule will not lit up in certain lighting conditions. You still have a reticle albeit a black one.

So why would you need a red dot on top of the ACOG?  That is why I thought that the TA01 with the Docter optic would be a great idea.
Well, a TA-01's reticule isn't illuminated during the day due to the lack of fiber optic.

The downside of the TA31DOC is you now how a battery powered optic to deal with that you cannot shut off unless you put the Dr. Optic's hood on. The battery in the Dr. Optic will last around 3 yrs but in order to change it, you have to remove the sight from the mount via 4 small screws.

Even a better reason to stick with a good variable 1X4 scope.  I just wish the Schmidt and Bender wasn't so damn expensive.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Even a better reason to stick with a good variable 1X4 scope.  I just wish the Schmidt and Bender wasn't so damn expensive.  

I'm still not impressed with the battery life in any of those type of optics, especially when compared to an Aimpoint or even an EO Tech. That's why I opted for an Accupoint. It's really an amazing optic and for the price it's a steal.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still not impressed with the battery life in any of those type of optics, especially when compared to an Aimpoint or even an EO Tech. That's why I opted for an Accupoint. It's really an amazing optic and for the price it's a steal.

But at least the batteries are easy as hell to change and if the batteries fail you still have the reticle.  But that is just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't overlook the Meopta Meostar R1 1-4X22 RD if you are considering a variable.  
http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=130&lang=en

It is made in the Czech Republic, but distributed out of NY.  I have one and it is outstanding on an AR.  Quality is very nice.  It is a ture 1X.  No distortion at close range.  The reticle, 3min dot w/ hash marks at 3, 6, and 9 O'clock, is awesome.  The reticle is black, but can be illuminated for daytime or low light use.  There is an off position between each of the 7 illumination intensity settings.  Plenty bright enought to use in full sun.  It is just like an EoTech or Aimpoint, but you get to go to 4X if needed.  FOV at 100 yards is around 111ft. @ 1X.    Price is around $700 which is a good deal for what you get.  It also has a 30mm tube body.  50 yard zero gets your poi within 2" of line of sight out to 250 yards.  My load is 8" low at 300.  Hold the 3min dot on the neck or use the top of the 6 O'clock hash mark for a poa at 300.  Works great.
Nick-
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But at least the batteries are easy as hell to change and if the batteries fail you still have the reticle.  But that is just my opinion.

Actually, that's not your opinion, those are facts and I won't dispute facts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had my Optima 2000 (now JPoint) since 2001, when a bunch of us started a project to make a mount for our TA01NSNs, it's still ticking!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top