Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 3:29:56 PM EDT
A while back I seem to remember a post about someone who was installing pins in the rear sight bases sort of like NM sights are made.  It kept the rear sight from canting sideways.  I couldn't find it in a search.  Any ideas who is doing this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds easy enough if you have a good vice and drill press.  I'd say lie the rear shroud face down and drill a hole all the way through from back to front on the right side (left side being the one with the spring and ball.)  Then thread it and install a tiny set screw from the rear once it's reinstalled and then drop a second one it to keep it from loosening.

I'm thinking of a 4-40 set screw but that might be too big...

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried something similar, just for S&G.  I had the same area drilled and installed another spring and detent ball so that there were opposing spring/detent balls on either side of the base.  It didn't work nearly as well as I suspected.  Drilling all the way through isn't possible because the flat spring for the flip-up aperture sits in a recess which is off-center to the right.  Drilling front-to-back will go right into the offset recess.

For those of you interested in drilling into the Colt rear base, it is seriously hardened and will wreak havoc on your bits.  My machine shop buddy said it killed one of his bits in short order.

Thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#3]
John Holliger at White Oak Precision (search) or White Oak Armament.
He does about the best Job.
Also, ANNA at First Strike in Atlanta. may be First-Strike.com
Either one can fix you up.
TS
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know if I can just buy a NM rear sight assembly and pop it onto a Bushy carry handle?  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top