Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2003 1:08:30 AM EDT
Hello.  What is the ideal mounting position of an Aimpoint Comp ML2 on an ARMS 45 SIR?  It is better to mount it forward and if so how far forward?  What advantages does it offer to mount the Aimpoint further forward?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]
While the photo server is down and a pic is unavailable, the further forward the ML2 is mount the [b]"quicker"[/b] your eyes pick up the dot and the faster you get on target. Mine sets just far enough back of the FSB for the cover to clear the FS.

This is the primary reason, most set as far foward as possible.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as you can get it.  I have to flex the front cover to clear the front sight.

This is an old fixed handle M4, but SIR mounting is the same.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=66344&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/066344.jpg[/img][/url]

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, that's pretty far forward.  I've got mine mounted with a 22M68 and cantilever; it sits over the delta ring.  I like this setup very well.  But, I must admit I've never tried one more forward than that.  I would be worried about throwing the balance of the rifle off.  Is this not a problem?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I disagree with mounting too far forward of the delta ring.

If you are ever in a situation where you are using a barricade for cover and exposing as little of yourself as possible, you will only be able to use one eye.  There is a point where the Aimpoint is so far forward, it can actually obscure the target when forced to shoot with one eye.  Over the delta ring is plent forward enough.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#5]
you know, it doesn’t matter.

i like mine as far forward as possible in a "scout scope" configuration.  i think it gets the dot and housing away from your eyes and the housing occludes less of the target area.

some folks insist you mount them square with the end of the upper.  I would suggest you try different places to see where it's most "comfortable" for you.  then ignore and don't argue with anyone that tries to make you do it their way.    

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I like mine as far to the rear as possible.  It gives me the widest field of view and makes for faster target to target transitions.

VSP
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The farther from the eye the easier it it to find the dot and transition from target to target.  You're not looking thru this device, you only see the dot, not the device.

The barricade scenario confuses me.  There's still a straight line of sight from the eye thru the dot to the target, no matter where it is on the rifle; and likewise a line of sight from the target thru the dot back to your eye.  Same amount of you exposed to the target from what I can tell.  One eye or two.  The rifle will be in the same position if you expect the bullet to hit the target, and your eye has to be there too.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
ALL THE WAY TO THE REAR GIVES THE SMALLEST FIELD OF VIEW. SET FOWARD ALLOWS BOTH EYES TO BE LEFT OPEN AND THAT IS AS BIGEST A FIELD OF VIEW YOU CAN GET.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
mine is on the hump of the RAS II.  I tried it all the way forward and also close to the rear of the upper but was not pleased with it.  I am happy where it is
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I find that much more important than how close to your eye it is is how the rifle is balanced. i like it over the delta ring on my SIR setup.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The farther from the eye the easier it it to find the dot and transition from target to target.  You're not looking thru this device, you only see the dot, not the device.

The barricade scenario confuses me.  There's still a straight line of sight from the eye thru the dot to the target, no matter where it is on the rifle; and likewise a line of sight from the target thru the dot back to your eye.  Same amount of you exposed to the target from what I can tell.  One eye or two.  The rifle will be in the same position if you expect the bullet to hit the target, and your eye has to be there too.  

-- Chuck
View Quote

Find a solid wall.  Pick a man size target 50+ yards downrange from that.  Staying away from the wall like you should be, roll out just enough to expose your muzzle and your shooting eye (unless of course you LIKE exposing your entire head).  If the Aimpoint is fully forward, the view through the body, depending on lighting conditions, may prove to not be insufficient to allow you to see the target without the sight body blocking it.  Its hard to visualize.  You'll actually have to try it.  Discovered this on a range at dusk one time.  If the sight is close enough to the eye, you can still see the target through the sight tube.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a problem with facial reflection on the way forward mount when I had mine.  I had to bring it back some.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Putting the scope closer to the rear gives you a LARGER field of view looking thru the scope.  You can see multiple targets thru the scope and not have the outside body of the scope block your transitions to the next target.  If you still doubt me, check out any IPSC 3 gun match.  The main component of the game is speed.  Those guys will have figured out the fastest way to use any type of electronic scope and I haven't seen any of them with their scopes mounted forward.  In the end, ignore all of us and see what works for you.

VSP
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Can you guys give me a little help on choosing an Aimpoint and mount for a 50AE?

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=174880[/url]

Thanks  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like mine as far to the rear as possible.  It gives me the widest field of view and makes for faster target to target transitions.
VSP
View Quote

This is completely backwards... Putting it as far to the rear as possible blocks your field of view, not open it up. I can see your point if you needed to look directly through the Aimpoint, but the way this optic works, you dont ahve to look right through it so to speak. Just look right past it at your target area. When doing this, the further away the Aimpoint is, the more of your target area you will be able to see.

Put it this way. Put your finger right in front of your face. And try to look at whats in front of you. You will not be able to focus on your finger and the area in front of you. One will be too blurry to see well. Now, extend your arm all the way in front of you. It will be MUCH easier to focus on the area in front of you, while still seeing you finger. This is how the Aimpoint works and one of several reasons why it is very advantageous to mount it more forward.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I like mine over the delta ring.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]
This is one of the great things about the rail systems and the Aimpoint. It doesn't matter if you run a SIR or a RAS or whatever.
Put that dot out where you can use 2 eyes and follow the bouncing ball, when it looks good double tap it….[X]

The middle of my ML2 sits over #15 on the SIR45. The eye relief I have shooting strong side is close to 10”.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#19]
New-arguy,
  "I can see your point if you needed to look directly through the Aimpoint".  

That's the point I'm trying to make.  Once you locate your target and mount to engage it, if the scope is further to rear, you get a wider field of view looking thru the scope.  If there are multiple targets, you'll be able to transition to the next target faster because it will be "inside" the scope. You still look at the target and superimpose the scope onto it with both eyes open.  Of course, if it's a wide enough swing, the next target would be outside the scope.  That is the downside, but you have that problem regardless of where the scope is mounted. Here's my example.  If you take a toilet paper tube and hold it at arms length, what you see thru the tube will be less than if you held it in front of you face.

VSP  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top