Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2003 12:23:52 PM EDT
I've been studying my new Aimpoint and have noticed that the switch may be it's weakest link. It's the only moving part that gets used all the time.  
Has anyone taken one apart or knows how the mechanism works? It sounds like a ball bearing in the rotary switch surrounded by detents on the other track.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Take [i]yours[/i] apart and let us know.  [;)]

My original M68 (CompM-XD) is probably 5 years old and there are no issues with this switch -- other than remembering to turn it off.

-- Chck
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
From this link:
[url]http://pvtpyle.com/force_recon_in_afghanistan_notes.htm[/url]

USMC Force Recon Afghan after action report:

[b]The On/off switch has tendency to loosen, which causes Aimpoint to turn of and on or change intensity while firing.   This can also easily be fixed by removing the switch cap, tightening the operating pieces of the switch and replacing the switch cap, all accomplished with standard size allen keys. [/b]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link Lumpy! That is an excellent read.  
I was worried that my Aimpoint would be difficult to repair because I thought the two pins in the rotary knob were roll pins. I'm glad to find out they are allen screws instead!

BTW, I'm surprised by their report on the SOC 45. I thought that pistol would have had a better track record for reliability.  They said nothing about the .45 round though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
BTW, I'm surprised by their report on the SOC 45. I thought that pistol would have had a better track record for reliability.  They said nothing about the .45 round though.
View Quote

The guns are simply worn out.  They have a VERY high round count, and there arent enough of them go around. They put more rounds through them in a year than you or I are likely to do in our lifetime of owning a handgun.  Replacements are in the works.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Another trick I use with my Aimpoint is to use a thick rubber band to wrap it around the switch and the body, it gives friction to the switch so it does not trun on by itself in the gun case.  I have ran Aimpoint dry because the switch accidentally switch on in soft gun case.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Also worth noting that the Aimpoint in Lumpy's link was a CompM and that link references improvements made to the Comp M2.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top