Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 5:15:10 AM EDT
Does anybody know if there are any real differences between the Bushmaster Detachable Carry Handle rear sight assembly versus other manufactures like Colt, Armalite, or DPMS?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have found some of the *ahem* cheaper detachable carry handles won't mount carryhandle mounted optics properly (the channel is too narrow).

Colt is a good one to get.  Bushmaster should be good.  Have not tried Armalite.  Others are suspect (see previously mentioned issue).
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a beef about the Bushmaster carryhandle as compared to the Colt carryhandle.

On the Colt, the ends of the studs on the threaded bolts that the twist-nuts are on are staked, making the nuts "captured," i.e. you can't unscrew them off when removing the carryhandle.

The Bushmaster's are not staked, and often, when you're removing the carryhandle, especially under stress or in bad light, you can unscrew the bolt right off and drop it.

I am consdering making a tool to stake the BM bolts like Colt's are.  But it will be a pain to make the tool, and to stake them correctly.  Therefore, I must say that Colt carryhandles are superior.

Other than that, the BM carryhandles seem to be of excellent quality.

Ted
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The Armalite carry handle will NOT allow an ACOG to fit. My copy is from 1997 or so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Armalite carry handle will NOT allow an ACOG to fit. My copy is from 1997 or so.
View Quote

The Colt with a removable carrying handle also has a smaller channel than the standard A2.  I mounted a Compact ACOG on it but I had to slightly file down the sides of the mount to make it fit.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top