Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2003 4:20:52 PM EDT
Ok for those lucky few out there How do you mount your PVS 14s? Let see some pictures, anyone have a picture of hwo they mount the PVS 14 with an acog?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:47:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:28:15 AM EDT
Is that the PRI mount for the PVS 14? Also any one have a pic of the 14 with an ACOG? IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:10:52 AM EDT
It looks like a GG&G mount.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:32:33 AM EDT
[url]http://www.pbase.com/image/4206481[/url]
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:27:09 PM EDT
In my opinion, mounting a PVS-14 ON the rifle is not the best way to use it. To me, wearing the '14 on your head, with a headmount, is much more practical;. You can walk around and look around, and if you see a target, you shoulder the rifle, look through the optic that's on it (ACOG, Aimpoint, Eotech) and go. Mounting a '14 on the rifle means that to look at anything, you have to lug the rifle up and around, which is extremely tiring, and likely to piss your friends off when you look at them. It's also pretty neat to have an IR laser mounted on the gun, so all you see is a bright dot where the bullet will impact. No need to even shoulder it. That's what I use on my "midnight safaris", and it is very efficient. I have an Aimpoint on the rifle too, which I can use as a sight too, and also it serves as a checking device to make sure the IR laser dot is right on top of the Aimpoint's dot. (In case the IR laser gets bumped, etc.) Ted
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 3:38:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:30:52 AM EDT
Wes, I have a USNV-14, which comes with an excellent light headmount as well as quick-attach rail mount that the optic can click onto. To take the unit off your head and put it on your rifle would probably take 20 seconds, without rushing. I have mounted it behind my Aimpoint and Eotech just "playing around" to see how it looks, and it looks fine. So, yes, if you are "proned out" and are planning to shoot at a known target area, I think this would be fine. But I think I would still be inclined to leave it headmounted, and just use the rifle (with its attached NV compatible optic) normally to take the actual shot. I say this because having to use the '14 presupposes that it's dark, and therefore, you're gong to be doing basic looking around much more than actually laying there drawing a bead on a target. But I do keep the rail mount in the '14's accessory bag anyway, just in case. I will also mention that in "playing around," it appears that any conventional "hunting" scope can be used in front of a '14. The magnification is great, and you can see the crosshairs fine. But with a centerfire rifle, care must be taken not to let the scope recoil back into the '14 and damage it. USNV notes that the '14 is "5.56 recoil proof," so I would not mount it on anything larger. Also, if using a conventional scope like this in combination with a '14, the '14's focus has to be adjusted when looking through the scope versus normal distance scanning. But walking around in cornfields & trails at night using a headmounted '14 with an IR laser-equipped M4 (preferably a suppressed one, preferably select-fire, which I use) is the stuff of which dreams are made. It's such a quantum leap from the conventional limitations which have been associated with using firearms (needing light, having to shoulder the rifle, having to use sights, needing hearing protection, being visually detected by animals) that it's truly a liberating and mind-bending experience. Of note, the ONLY way I would have dropped the kind of dough for this setup that is required is by selling a SMG I bought years ago which had appreciated astronomically. The question I had to ask myself was, "Would I trade all this neat stuff for this crude old 1950's Commie SMG?" It was a no-brainer. I also was able to buy a Serbu BFG-50 .50 cal rifle with scope, and a bunch of ammo for it. I wish I had bought more SMG's a few years ago! Ted
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:57:35 PM EDT
You can't run a ACOG that as magnifaction and a PVS-14 together. There is an eye relief issue. There were some boys at Bragg telling us they would put there NV in front of the ACOG's. We tried it, but it never worked. POI was always different than POA.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:38:07 AM EDT
I have used my USNV-14 behind my TA01NSN and it works. You have to focus the objective lens of the '14 so looking through the scope is clear. This focus setting will NOT be sharp for looking at distant things if you pull away from the TA01NSN and look downrange. Maybe that's what the guys were talking about, or maybe they were wearing headmounted '14's and tried to look through a magnified ACOG and just saw a blur. I'm telling you it does work because I've done it. Ted
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:30:50 PM EDT
It only works 50%. That's not a great percentage for real world use. Out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:28:57 PM EDT
What do you mean by, "It only works 50%"? When I looked through the '14 through the TA01NSN, it basically looked how one might expect it to look. Just like one would expect looking through an Aimpoint would look. Is looking through an Aimpoint through a '14 "50%" or some other %? I'm not sure I follow this. I'll close by once again saying that looking through ANY sight with a '14 is not nearly as practical or user friendly as simply keeping a heads-up orientation with a head-mounted '14 and with an IR designator on the weapon. Ted
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 4:29:58 PM EDT
What I mean is,it works for only 50% of mission requirements. Thats not enough.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:01:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:16:32 PM EDT
Is there any danger of burning the lens of my PVS 14 from the tritium glow of the ACOG. I noticed first off that it was bright enough through the 14 to be uncomforatble mounted behind it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:39:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1001001: Is there any danger of burning the lens of my PVS 14 from the tritium glow of the ACOG. I noticed first off that it was bright enough through the 14 to be uncomforatble mounted behind it.
View Quote
1001001, good to see you here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:29:09 AM EDT
Yes, you can create a black spot on the tube of any NV with trinium. The best PVS-14 mt. is the one Spec ops bought from PRI. It was chosen as it provides support to the monocular and doesn't hang the rear of the optic out so that the slightest hit or hand pressure knock it off center or break. The PRI mount can also accomodate taking various other models of monoculars. Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:00:40 AM EDT
Great to see you Chen! 3rdtk Thank you, that is what I suspected. Given the cost on this unit I wished to make certain and not endanger the optic's integrity. Night shooting with the 14 and either Eotech, Aimpoint, or IR is an entirely different world than daylight plinking. If any of you that aren't running this ever get the opportunity to try it out you'd be amazed at the capabilities offered by these systems.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:50:44 AM EDT
I use a 3x russian 2 gen+ with a built in adjustable red dot,Pic rail mount,and two IR Illuminators on my CAR15 and it totally misses the stock front site post
Top Top