Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2003 12:32:41 PM EDT
I want one, but do I need one?  Tasco SS for $400.....I can do that.  Leupold M1 for $700....about hitting my limit.  Nightforce....wetdream!

Please help me rationalize my need (well desire, or more like a craze) for one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a side focus Leupold on my sniper rifle.  It is great when shooting from a rest.  But if I ever have to take a shot while not on the bench I might be hosed.  The gun is too heavy to hold up with one hand while looking through the scope to try to focus with the other hand, and it is definitely out of focus for any range other than what it is set for.

Scopes with adjustable objective seem to have less of a problem with focus.  If it is set for the wrong distance, you will have parallax, but will still be in focus and can hit whatever is chasing you.

For anything but a benchrest gun, I'd go with AO.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You can obtain a crisp focus, FAST, with the side focus feature. No reaching in front and trying to twist off the objective lens. I really enjoy my Leupolds (4.5-14X50, Long Range Tactical, and 6.5-20x50, Long Range Target) both with side focus.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:29:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The side focus will spoil you.Very user friendly.You can adjust the parallax down to view mirage, then adjust back to focus on target
to make the shot.Makes prone shooting easier,you
don't have change postions like if you had an AO
scope.

I have 4 Leupold LR Side Focus scopes, never had
a problem.I HAD one Tasco SS Side Focus, had to
send it back after the parallax was stuck on 10YDS, and it only took 3months to get fixed.
         wes
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top