Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 5:21:14 AM EDT
I've seen here of Pmags with cracked feed lips, and i've seen some pmags jam in
rifles that run fine with USGI mags, so is there any batch to avoid? or should i only buy
the newly manufactured ones 2009-2010? thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for add'l info.

I've never heard of any of the problems you mention. Every Pmag I have or have ever used has been solid.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#3]
? IDK what these problems your referring too are. Never heard of them. Pmags are GTG period. Now whether your lower works with them is the issue. Some are tight, most are fine.
Just buy whatever.  Magpul will exchange them if they don;t seem to fit right in your lower.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRC there was a bad batch when they first come out, but I do not remember what the issue was or dates are. Magpul had a notice on their site & there was discussion of it here too. Magpul will exchange mags if you find a bad one.

LMK take a quick look in the Archives. Not guaranteeing anything since Magpul is gonna bring up A LOT of results.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#5]
IIRC there was a bad batch when they first come out, but I do not remember what the issue was or dates are. Magpul had a notice on their site & there was discussion of it here too. Magpul will exchange mags if you find a bad one.

LMK take a quick look in the Archives. Not guaranteeing anything since Magpul is gonna bring up A LOT of results.

ETA: The Archives only took me back to Jan. 2010 (through 2 pages), but I did find a Archived thread about some problem that Mag-Pul said they had, which was immediately followed with a "send it back to us & we will replace it".  That is all I can say or do, maybe a rep from Mag-Pul will chime in?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Magpul had an exchange program with some but not all their early PMAG dated 6/ 07 or earlier, most of them are gone now but I might have a couple that I didn't send in because they work fine on my Colt and LMT lowers.

Just get the new latest Rev M with the thinner ribs, if you find an older version just check the date stamp, also the new Rev M will fit most of the slightly out of spec mag wells better than the previous version.

Magpul have an excellent customer service that I have first hand experience with, if you have any problems they will quickly fix it for sure.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
how do i know if its Rev M? is it stamped on the body?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I will have 3 little sections on the side instead of 4 would be the easiest way to spot them in person, online, just go to a reputable site and make sure it says rev M
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Magpul had an exchange program with some but not all their early PMAG dated 6/ 07 or earlier, most of them are gone now but I might have a couple that I didn't send in because they work fine on my Colt and LMT lowers.

Just get the new latest Rev M with the thinner ribs, if you find an older version just check the date stamp, also the new Rev M will fit most of the slightly out of spec mag wells better than the previous version.

Magpul have an excellent customer service that I have first hand experience with, if you have any problems they will quickly fix it for sure.

According to MAGPUL, revision M was a change for their plastic injection molding technology and not a revision for a known issue or to correct a problem.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:37:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Original PMAG with windows

New Rev M PMAG with windows

Quoted:
how do i know if its Rev M? is it stamped on the body?

The letter "M" is not on the body, it's on the bottom of the floorplate.

Another easy way to know if it is a new Rev M are the number of horizontal ribs, it have four ribs, the original have an extra horizontal rib for a total of five ribs (see my pictures).

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:21:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to MAGPUL, revision M was a change for their plastic injection molding technology and not a revision for a known issue or to correct a problem.

I agree with that main reason for the change but at the same time they also incorporated minor enhancements based on field feedback from military, law enforcement, and commercial end users.

For example on their MagLevel window model Rev M PMAG:

• Impact/ Dust cover storage

• Slim-line rib and body profile

• High visibility round indicator

• Enlarged MagLevel window

For detailed info on these changes and pictures go to this link (pdf file).

http://store.magpul.com/downloads/newsfeed-maglevelpmag.pdf

There were really no issues or problems that I experienced with my original PMAG on my two Colt and one LMT lowers because the PMAG was designed for the mil-spec lower receiver dimensions, most of the problems was from some out of spec brands.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Also the rev M mags are slight slimmer and fit tighter magwells perfectly.  My old non-rev M would not fit my LMT or LWRCs and drop free.  So I replaced them with Rev M and they are good to go.

Another way to tell if they are Rev M is to look for the notch about a 1/2 inch up the back spine of the magazine that allows the dust cover to clip on the bottom of the magazine for storage.  Also the follower is gray and has an M on it.  The older Pmags do not have this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've seen here of Pmags with cracked feed lips
Can happen with any magazine, if it does, return it to Magpul for an exchange. If not, they are inexpensive to replace.

, and i've seen some pmags jam in rifles that run fine with USGI mags
Receivers have various dimentional differences, even Colt, so see what works in your rifle and address the fixes needed. Most cases its just a bit of sanding on the rear of the magazine to allow it to drop free. The bolt catch issue is just the fault of the receiver/bolt catch maker- not magazine related.

, so is there any batch to avoid? or should i only buy the newly manufactured ones 2009-2010? thanks
Buying new, just get the latest batch. Buying used, look for damage or abuse. Either way, test them in your rifle before calling them 100% good to go. Just like any other magazine.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks to all of you guys!
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top