Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2006 11:15:34 AM EDT
Any feed back on this drum mag? Half the price of the beta, only ten rounds less
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
in reality it's hard to get all 90 rds in, you're lucky to get 75-80, I've had one since before the AWB, use it sparingly but it always worked for me.  Not balanced like the Beta CMag.  But it works
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Unbalanced and not as spiffy as a Beta, but they work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It will feed all 90.  Before the ban they came with a carry bag, Thermold clip guide, and a T-handle loading tool.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the imput guess I'll stick with the 30 rounders
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It will feed all 90.  Before the ban they came with a carry bag, Thermold clip guide, and a T-handle loading tool.

Mine's pre AWB, didn't get a Thermold clip guide, just got the T handle push tool
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, a mere $59.95 got the mag, guide, tool, and bag. in 1990.

Off balance, difficult to handle, fragile.  I traded mine off for a big bag of NIW USGI 30's.

Back then you could pick up USGI 30's for $8 ea... NEW.  Used went for $3.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the BETA is a lot of marketing hype.  Yes it is balanced, but it won't lock a bolt to the rear is large, blocks the mag release and bolt release easy access, is very heavy, and also fragile.  Plus it is extremely costly.  
Plus with the Beta you have to find a new place for a trigger finger to rest if you have long fingers.  

I called Beta and asked if they had any plans to add last round bolt hold open-- the answer ? NO.   If Colt can do it on a $30 9mm mag why not Beta on a $230 mag?  

The MWG is lighter at least, affords access to the mag release, is cheaper, and I don't think it would be as prone to breakage if dripped, but I could be wrong.  I think Betas will break dropped unloaded.  

I had a Beta-- it's a novelty item and nice but for the price and weight obscene not holding the bolt open costs valuable time in a reload that allready has a heavy awkward magazine involved.  

I'ld like to see an MWG with a CS spring to ensure against taking a set.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:01:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Sure it takes longer to swap out a Beta but the point is you reduce the time to swap traditional mags to zero (5x20rd mags or 3+x30).  If you didn't have time to charge the rifle or swap out the Beta, you didn't have time to swap 3 regular mags.  Hopefully after 100 rounds, you won't be needing to quickly swap out the Beta, if you do then you are serious doo-doo in the first place.

I have an MWG but it just causes too much bulk and imbalance for my taste, besides being more prone to take damage.  It worked though.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top