Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 8:17:03 AM EDT
I have a 24" custum upper with a wylde chamber and have had a little trouble finding a commercial ammo that works well.Anyone have any ammo sugestions?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
By 'works well' do you mean accuracy issues, feeding issues, or something else?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#2]
my RRA upper has a wylde chamber and thus far has been able to eat everything Ive thrown at it with the exception of 70+ grain bullets since I havent tried any yet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I've tried several over the counter ammo's and have a extrction problem.It only blows the bolt about half way back.I have some blue tip reduced velocity rounds I am goning to try next.I also talked to a local gunsmith about checking the chamber for sharp edges on the locking lugs and back taper in the chamber.....Possibly opening the chamber to nato.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've tried several over the counter ammo's and have a extrction problem.It only blows the bolt about half way back.I have some blue tip reduced velocity rounds I am goning to try next.I also talked to a local gunsmith about checking the chamber for sharp edges on the locking lugs and back taper in the chamber.....Possibly opening the chamber to nato.

??? Over the counter only means you bought it and didn't steal it! ANY ammo you buy is "over the counter", even MIL-SUP.  Need specifics. Win Q3131 (new mfg), AE223A, etc.

If the rifle is short stroking, going to reduced power loads sure as hell are only going to be WORSE! That's like saying your Corvette doesn't run well on mid-grade gas so you are going to try regular.

Tell us what ammo you used and we can better try to isolate the source of the problem.
The Wylde chamber is one of the best ideas around. You will just f**k up things when you start changing things that don't need to be fixed! Identify the problem first.

BTW, technically, the chamber is the same for SAAMI and NATO, it is the amount of leade that is different. Once "opened", the only way to fix it is to re-barrel.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've tried xm193,UMC,wolf and S&B.The reason I was going to try the reduced velocity rnds is because the bulk of the problem seems to be the spent cartrige hanging up in the chamber.I had a chrome plated bolt in it that seemed to be a little tight so I replaced it with a standard bolt and still had the same results.I have a reduced power recoil spring on order and had considered a reduced power(yellow) spring for the trigger asym.

by over the counter I mean loads other than custom hand loads
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, now we can turn our attention to something other than ammo (not totally disregard it, though).  When you say it is a custom upper, who built it? What gas system? What gas block? What you are describing could be more related to a gas system issue than the ammo, buffer spring, hammer spring, or bolt issues (unless it is a loose carrier key).

Since it is a "custom upper", I would suspect that more than anything in the lower.  Find someone that has a lower that is know to work and try your upper on it.  That will help degtermine whether or not the upper is at fault.

Did you have another upper that did work?  Can you borrow another upper just to check out the lower?

I have questions, you have answers! Hey, maybe Radio Shack... naw.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty sure it isn't the lower at least not completely.I put my rock river 20" upper on it and it performed perfectly with several differant kinds of ammo.

the upper was built by Sherluk marketing.I checked the gas tube for blockages and it was clear.I checked the block for alignment with the bbl and it seemed to be fine.The block did seem a bit loose,I guess I could be getting excessive leakage between the bbl and the gas block.I wouldn't think it to be the key since I tried two bolt assmblies in it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, having been a Tech Support Manager in one of my past lives, I know how hard it is to diagnose and repair something via long distance.  

As the current shop manager for the Gun Shop where I now work, my suggestion is to contact the builder and see what they are going to do. While the gas tube may appear clear, it doesn't take much to impede the flow of high pressure gas. It could even be the wrong size orfice on the gas block (longer systems require larger orfices). The mfg should stand by their product and would be best suited to fix the problem.

Let us know what happens.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top