Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 9:12:10 PM EDT
just received a shipment of XM193. Is it typical for the brass to be tarnished looking? thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
from [url=www.ammo-oracle.com]The Ammo Oracle[/url]:

[b]Q. What is with this goo and the dings on my Lake City Rounds?  What is this discoloration on the necks of my Q3131A?  Did someone take a blowtorch to it?
[/b]

Lake City doesn't bother to polish ammo after it's loaded. Occasionally you'll see dings or excess sealant on the casings of Lake City ammunition, particularly the Federal XM193 that Lake City has produced of late.  Sometimes the ammo looks downright beat up.  It's generally not anything to be concerned about and shouldn't impact performance.  Still, most distributors will offer to take the ammo back if it's in that condition.  Check to see if your vendor has a return or satisfaction guaranteed policy if you're really worried about pretty ammo.  You can also send it to the AR15.com staff "Ugly Lake City Disposal Facility" and we will be happy to render each and every round safe.  J

Just about all necked rounds use a heat process called "annealing" to shape the neck of the casing.  Producers of military ammo don't bother to spend the extra time and effort in production to polish the brass after annealing, unlike most commercial ammo.  The result is that discoloration that makes it look like someone took a blowtorch to the ammo.  Don't worry, it won't impact the performance in any way.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I own any .223 that isn't all gnarly looking.

~AbM
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't think I own any .223 that isn't all gnarly looking.

~AbM
View Quote

M193 is like Shit-eating grunt's, it's ruff, it's rugged, it's ooglay.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The lighting is a little off in this photo, but you can see the M193 on the left, darker, shows the annealing around the shoulder of the case, [i]the rugged military type.[/i]  The one on the right side is Winchester commercial 223, beautiful polished case, very nice aesthetics.

[img]http://www.pbase.com/image/24073327/medium.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Updated image above with a better photo.  [8D]

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The XM193 still looks too pretty. [;D]  You need to Photoshop some blotches, decrease the brightness by 10 to 15, then put a nice dent in the shoulder before I'll recognize it as brother to any of my Federal lots at the house. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I find the annealling rather attractive myself.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Gives it a nice two tone effect, they oughta charge extra for that!  
[thinking]

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gives it a nice two tone effect, they oughta charge extra for that!  
[thinking]

View Quote

Bingo!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top