Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2003 2:33:37 PM EDT
What is the lowest velocity that the hornady 75 grain BTHP match bullet will reliably fragment? Can these bullets be handloaded and seated deep enough to feed in a magazine?  
Distance to 2700 fps
20" Barrel
16" Barrel
14.5" Barrel
11.5" Barrel

M193
190-200m
140-150m
95-100m
40-45m

M855
140-150m
90-95m
45-50m
12-15m

Could someone add to this chart results from a 75grain BTHP from the various barrel lengths and maximum distance to reliable fragmentation.
Got this chart from ammo-oracle.com/
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I honestly don't know if anyone has yet performed a study that detailed. But I can say that this 75 gr ammunition loaded to mil-spec velocities will still be fragmenting out to as far as 300 yards. I have no idea what barrel length that is from, but probably a 14.5 M4 or a 16" AR carbine. Forest recently tested some of the NATO spec Black Hills 77 gr OTM and was getting velocities of 2820.98 fps at a distance of 10' feet from an 18" barrel. This should be very close to what the 75 gr would look like also. According to what other reliable sources have stated, it appears that the 75 gr OTM bullet can fragment at velocities as low as 2100 fps, maybe even slower. So if you can attempt to determine what point the bullet would be travelling at 2100 fps, based on the above velocities, it should put you in the ballpark.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, I forgot to mention these will work fine in magazines. And one more word of advice.....it seems these work best in barrels with a 1/7 twist. Some people have had success with this ammo and 1/9 twists, but many others haven't. And some who have had success have only tested it at relatively close range. So before loading or buying a large quantity of this ammo, you might want to test a little beforehand if you have a 1/9 twist. Actually, it's always a good idea to test any unknown ammo in your rifle before buying it. Some rifles just don;t shoot well with certain types of ammunition.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I think 300 yards is from 20" barrel. 200 yd for 14.5" and 250+ from 16" barrel.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top