Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/6/2003 11:12:53 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me of any chain stores (like walmart, sports authority, k-mart, etc.) that sell this stuff? Also, is this really quiet?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:30:07 AM EDT
So far I haven't found it at any Walmart, and the local gun shops don't have any either. Your best bet is probably just to order a few bricks off the net. It's quieter since it doesn't have the supersonic "crack".
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:36:45 AM EDT
I'm not a .22 expert, but why do you need subsonic specifically? If you're looking for quiet, why not use .22 CB's. .22LR subsonic is still loud in a rifle/pistol. .22 short is quieter, and .22 CB's are the quietest. .22 CB's out of a .22 rifle will sound at most like a loud pellet gun. They are shorter than a .22LR so you'll have to load them individually as they won't stack in a standard magazine. They're slow. I don't know how many feet-per-second offhand. But are they ever quiet. You should be able to find .22 CB's at Walmar or K-Mart, but any gun store should have them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:28:27 PM EDT
Ahhh, .22 subsonic is so quiet all you here is the action of the rifle and when the bullet hits the tarrget. In a pistol it is louder. It will not cycle the action in a .22 semi auto so bolt or lever action is the best. It is so quiet that on rainy days I can use it in my apartment shooting into a phone book with targets taped to them. Get the Aguila Super Colibri, 20 grain bullet, 500 fps. Never had any problems with the round not clearing the barrel in my 10/22 or my Henery. Great for pests or rainy day fun. Check Cabela's online.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:41:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2003 4:43:08 PM EDT by SBR7_11]
Using a suppressor on my 10/22, I use CCI std velocity (#-0032, 100 round plastic box), cycles just fine, and quiet. [img]http://members.cox.net/~rjring/bulletfest4/bulletfest4%20005.jpg[/img] You can use CB's in a 20-24" bolt gun, done that, no suppressor, real quiet, but velocity is soooo slow, no energy. Shoot CB's in a 10/22, but will not cycle action. Check the manufactures specs for velocity, and go from there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:33:31 PM EDT
My brother in law has some huge ground hogs terrorizing his yard. His neighbors are about 200 - 300 yds away, so he wants something quiet. I have some 22 short. So maybe I'll just use that. Would the trajectory be much different at about 50 yds?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:54:31 PM EDT
They're 300 yards away? And he's worried about a .22.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:18:50 PM EDT
Try Tannerite.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:27:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:24:10 AM EDT
I've used the Aguila SSS before, but only in my Mk2 Pistol. It cycled the action just fine and seemed to feed ok. Will it work the action on an AR .22 upper?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:29:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Troy: If you're using an AR in either 1:9 or 1:7, your best bet is the Aguila 60gr SSS round. It's marginal in a 1:12 AR barrel, and won't work in a standard 1:16 .22LR barrel, but if it works for you, it's a great round that actually has some punch. -Troy
View Quote
On 22 conversion kits in ARs, 1:9 lets you shoot some standard hi-vel 22 ammo and also SSS. But 1:7 would be limited to SSS. Is this correct? How does SSS do in a 1:7? I figured a 1:9 would be the best barrel for a 22 kit if you wanted to shoot SSS.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:50:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:13:38 PM EDT
Guys, thanks for the responses, but I'm using a 22lr rifle. A remington 597 to be exact. Should I expect the trajectory at 50yds for a 22 short to be way off the trajectory of a 22 lr? The reason I ask is because I sighted the rifle to 22lr and I dont feel like going all the way back to the range and re sight for different ammo.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:21:45 PM EDT
I use the Remington Subsonic ammo for critter control around my place. The noise factor is about the same as standard velocity .22 lr. I use it in a Remington 512 and a 521-T. It's an extremely accurate round in both rifles. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:49:23 AM EDT
I also use remington subsonic. It has a hollowpoint, which helps somewhat. It is a 38 grain bullet, so is a little light, but with good hits on rockchucks/ woodchucks takes them out. I have alsot used them on starlings, killed around 7-800 one summer. I use a remington 597 with a jarvis barrel and volquartsen hammer, it cycles just fine. I use it exclusively with a suppressor, and the loudest thing i hear is a PoP when a starling explodes, or the action cycling if I am shooting rockchucks. I get my remington subsonic from Bi-mart, my favorite gun friendly store Danny
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:25:48 AM EDT
I've shot Remington and the Aguila subsonic loads out of my 10/22. Neither was what I'd consider quiet (since I don't use a suppressor), though both were a bit quieter than high-velocity stuff and didn't have the supersonic "crack" one hears with HV. While the Remington cycled my 10/22 reliably, the Aguila did not; sometimes it would cycle, other times I had a straight-pull bolt-action 10/22. YMMV [:)]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 12:55:49 PM EDT
As an update, I went to a gun show yesterday and picked up some Aguila "sniper" subsonic and some good old Remington subsonic. From there I weent down to the range and sighted in my scope (a leapers rubberized 3-9x for $40-excellent deal for the money). The Aguila shot like total shit. It dropped off waaaay to much from 50yds to 100yds. It jammed up often also and barely cycled the action. The Remington subsonic cycled every time with no jams and dropped of less than the Aguila (it still dropped off more than a regular .22lr). I then dumped the Aguila in the nearest garbage can, and headed for my brother in laws place. Out of 6 shots at 6 different ground hogs, I missed the first two (about 85 and 60 yds). The 3rd was hit at about 70 yds, jumped a foot in the air and ran back into a thicket. The second was hit at about 80 yds, and also ran back to where it came from. Well, by now my B-I-L and I are wondering if this is enough to take down these damn things. Soooo, the 5th one comes out at about 45 yds. direct hit, and it fell back into the thicket twitching. We also could hear a "thump' sound from the impact and see some fur fly. Now for the 6th. The monster, Alpha male. I had built up a GH decoy from cut yard grass, remembering back to my 1 psychology class I took way back when in college. The head male animal will challenge anything that remotely looks like another one of him. Seagulls will do it to a cardboard cutout. Sooo, finally this big ground hog comes out and starts for the clump. About 30yds and bang. It took him about 30 seconds to stop shaking and give up the good fight. To conclude this lengthy ramble, the Aguila - bad. Remington -good. And as for those ground hogs, an AR would have been betyter, but you gotta work with what you can work with.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:28:13 PM EDT
Top Top