Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2003 12:49:01 PM EDT
Is $200 about what I can be expecting to pay for 1000 rounds of decent SS109/M855?  Shoot, maybe I should buy a AK47 for plinking.  It would pay for itself in about 3000 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You wish. $200 is about what it usually costs for 1K of M193, which is cheaper than SS109.

It's true that shooting AKs is much cheaper. The rifle is cheaper, and the ammo is cheaper. I actually shoot a lot of Wolf and Barnaul in my Bushie, with no problems so far. I pay about $110/1K.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You could always roll your own.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You could always roll your own.

~ s0ulzer0
View Quote

If I only had the time.  With one two year old son and another due in a couple months I hardly have time to shoot, let alone reload.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot the Wolf, Barnul or Silver Bear then for practice.  As long as the practice is 100y or under you shouldn't worry too much about point of impact changes from M193.

With the cost savings you could buy a new bolt with each case and still come out cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shoot the Wolf, Barnul or Silver Bear then for practice.  As long as the practice is 100y or under you shouldn't worry too much about point of impact changes from M193.

With the cost savings you could buy a new bolt with each case and still come out cheaper.
View Quote

I've got to get the Silver Bear to function in by rifle first.  It starts sticking in the chamber after about thirty rounds.  It may not be the ammo though.  I'm going to get the chamber polished to see if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf 55grain is $90 a case around here.  For that price you could buy a dedicated "WOLF UPPER" and blast away with it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Why SS109/M855 for plinking?

I can see using that if that is the ONLY ammo you ever plan to use (and you'll be zeroed for its trajectory as well) but it is more costly as "plinking" ammo.

The M193 is a bit less.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:15:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can see using that if that is the ONLY ammo you ever plan to use (and you'll be zeroed for its trajectory as well) but it is more costly as "plinking" ammo.
View Quote

You hit the nail on the head.  That's the reason.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top