Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 5:46:10 PM EDT
I shot wolf through my eagle 20", and had many FTFs.  Does this happen often?  Also, is it terrible to shoot this crap through an AR?  I don't want to screw it up because I hear that the red laquer that they are covered in can screw up your rifle, and I have heard that it is corrosive.  Also, after an FTF I had to yank the hell out of my charging handle to get the thing out.  Is this the right way to do it?  I have this same topic is in the troubleshooting discussion.  Thanks for any information!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The best thing I can tell you is that Wolf works for some people, and not for others. A recent poll indicates that ~85% do not have problems with Wolf.

If you're one of the 15% who does, then you'll have to find something else.

Did you make sure your gun shoots quality ammo OK to eliminate your rifle out of the equation ?

Also - do a search. Wolf ammo is one of the most talked-about topics here....
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh boy, yet another thread addressing problems with Russian ammo in an AR rifle. I would comment but I have made my feelings for Russian ammo known in many past posts so I am not gonna go there now. LOL. So for now, try a different ammo and see if it works better. Get something such as the Winchester value packs or Remington UMC at Wal-Mart next time and see if that helps. It's still cheap and may work better for you. If it does help, sell the Wolf to some of the 85% of the people polled here who thinks it's great stuff and buy some Americanski ammo! Good luck!

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the poll, feels like I kicked over a hornet nest.  Perhaps it will work better when your gun has been "broken in", that was the case with me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did the poll, feels like I kicked over a hornet nest.  Perhaps it will work better when your gun has been "broken in", that was the case with me.
View Quote

LOL Collin, no hornets nest at all. Just varying opinions. Actually my opinion is the one in the minority around here, so I guess I am the one stirring up the nest! Hehe. It's just seeing numerous posts like this one and hearing this sort of complaint over the past couple of years that just turns me off to using Wolf in AR's, even though many have no trouble with it at all. It's just amazing to see some people shoot thousands of rounds of it with no problems and some can't fire a mag full of it without something happening. That's just really weird.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Exactly what is the FTF?  Is the round not chambering completely or not going into the chamber correctly?
I burn up 6-10 cases of Wolf 223 every few months and it works for me.  All Wolf ammo is not corrosive (hard to find any corrosive 223 anywhere).  Some claim the laquer melts/flakes in the chamber and affect their gun but it doesn't apply to this situation.
Examine the ejected round that you had to yank out for marks, especially near the front of the case by the cannerlure.  Sounds like your chamber is not to spec or too tight.  Does this upper work with other brands of ammo?  I had a bad batch of commerical reloads where the case was .007 too long and jammed in a Model 1 upper; a Colt barrel worked fine with those reloads as it's NATO spec, and Colt has a proprietary chamber.
The standard clearance drill if the charging handle is hard to pull is to slap the buttstock onto a surface (ground or table) while pulling down on the charging handle.  Be aware of the muzzle direction while doing this.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot many rounds of winchester in the value packs from Walmart, and they worked flawlessly.  The FTF was that it chambered, but when the hammer fell the round didn't go off.  It's an Eagle Arms chambered for 5.56, so I would imagine it should accept most if not all ammo.  I will try the wolf I have remaining, but will probably just stick with the Winchester.  Thanks for letting me know the proper way to get the chamber clear, H.M.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have seen Wolf ammo shot in 4 different ARs. It all seemed to function well and shot well.   But no rapid fire was done with any of the rifles, just targets and plinking steel.  We found that the Wolf, although accurate enough, did not have as much knock down power on the steel targets as the other ammo shot that day.  SA, Win, ETC.  Also, everyone aggreed they did not like the build up in the chamber and on the bolt face.  Two of the people that I shoot with decided they could live with the Wolf ammo, and the other two decided we could live without it.  They bought our remaining stock of it and we are all happy shooters.

I'm from the old school, I like brass cases and stuff made in the USA by Americans.  And before you all jump on that statement, no, I don't always buy american goods, but I do when I can, and you all should too.  Cheers!  Phil
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top