Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2002 10:30:35 AM EDT
I would like to know if PMC ammo is good for long term storage(5to10years). The catriges are not sealed(they won't be under water either.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Clearly, some ammo is better than others, such as those with sealed primers and bullets. But any new production ammo would be fine for long term storage in that if you store them correctly they will be good for many, many years to come.

However, For what reason are you storing it? PMC isn't really a good storage ammo in that it isnt really suited for anything other than reliable range use. If it is to be stored for "social" use, it is a poor selection based on its weak terminal performance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had trouble with PMC in my Bushmaster, and when I posted the problem, at least one other poster commented on the same issue.

The copper is soft on the bullets, and builds up  when smearing on the feed ramps.  After a dozen rounds or so, the bullets start to "stick" on their way into the chamber, sometimes jamming, sometimes just making the rifle buck as it feeds, sticks, and gets loose.

Secondly, if you are saving it for defense, PMC isn't nearly as powerful as Lake City or Winchester Q131A.

If you are going to store ammo, get some Lake City M193 or Winchester Q131A from an on-line source or local store.  I've heard here that lake City Lot6 and Lot7 aren't sealed, but I've got a ton of Lot 1 and it's great stuff.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
PMC ammo, if properly stored will last as long as any other commercially available ammo, but the key word here is properly stored.
I don't think there is much disparity between federal XM193 and federal American eagle ammo other than the military designation and the color of the box.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
weaksauce, your kungfu is weak and no match for the ammo oracle's shaolin, please read.

www.ammo-oracle.com
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top