Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
.45 ACP Conversion Guide (Page 21 of 22)
Page / 22
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:14:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, the evolution of the 45 ACP AR has come a long way....

Olympic was the only game in town back in the day... then a mag ban came... use of UZI mags....

Then the CAV15 for greas gun mags & Oly uppers.... then a replaceable mag well AR....

Then dedicated grease gun AR lowers... then experiments in "Colt" pattern blow back 45 ACP.... and the blowback...

Then large Glock mag AR  lowers came.... dang.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kaliburz:
Man, the evolution of the 45 ACP AR has come a long way....

Olympic was the only game in town back in the day... then a mag ban came... use of UZI mags....

Then the CAV15 for greas gun mags & Oly uppers.... then a replaceable mag well AR....

Then dedicated grease gun AR lowers... then experiments in "Colt" pattern blow back 45 ACP.... and the blowback...

Then large Glock mag AR  lowers came.... dang.
View Quote
And don't forget perfecting the DI 45acp (3" barrels and above)
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rooster-X] [#5]
Here are both of my AR45 builds. I decided to go both routes, DI and blow back.

The DI is Rudy's upper (Macon Armory) with the CNCGuns lower is spot on, functions like a normal AR. The hard part is finding grease gun mags. I've collected 5, I think that should be fine for now.

The blowback is a Joebob Spartan lower with a New Frontier upper. I really like the feel of this weapon, but hate using the glock mags. Especially the cheap (and incredibly unreliable S. Korean mags).

For everyday plinking, the blowback is a hoot and just raw AF. If the Zombies attack, and they will, I'd grab the DI AR45 and pop zombie heads!

Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#6]
Nice gats.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Nice gats.
View Quote
Thanks! Need optics tho
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:16:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#8]
Originally Posted By RoosterX19:
Here are both of my AR45 builds. I decided to go both routes, DI and blow back.

The DI is Rudy's upper (Macon Armory) with the CNCGuns lower is spot on, functions like a normal AR. The hard part is finding grease gun mags. I've collected 5, I think that should be fine for now.

The blowback is a Joebob Spartan lower with a New Frontier upper. I really like the feel of this weapon, but hate using the glock mags. Especially the cheap (and incredibly unreliable S. Korean mags).

For everyday plinking, the blowback is a hoot and just raw AF. If the Zombies attack, and they will, I'd grab the DI AR45 and pop zombie heads!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/21/40/7d/21407dccac52405e74f9fab826ebb771.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/64/10/3b/64103bf7a00b87810e3c85d6c57fc08c.jpg
View Quote
Keep an eye HERE for GG mags. (out of stock right now)
They aren't GI, and they're a little thinner steel, but they've worked fine for me. Depending on the magwell in your lower, you may have to tweak them with a vice.
GI GG mags are a weapon in themselves, I've picked up some on gunbroker and some at random gun shows.

That second one hurts my thumbs to look at
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if this should go here, or create a new post, but I'll try here, since this thread is about .45 PCCs.

I took advantage of a sale late last year and picked up a New Frontier Armory 16" .45 upper and lower.  I also got their 9mm set, but am having ZERO issues with it.

I put the thing together, adding in a Larue trigger set, amongst other bits.  I used the NFA 10 OZ PCC buffer, and my own carbine spring and tube.  We took it to the range, and it appears I've built a single-shot .45 AR15!  The thing will fire fine, cycle a new round into the chamber but absolutely refuses to set the hammer for the follow-up shot.  I swapped the Larue out for a Giessele SSA, then went with an old stock hammer and trigger set I had in my parts bag.

The thing still refuses to fire more than one time.  I can pull the bolt back with the charging handle, eject the unfired round, cycle in another round and it goes bang.  But will not set the hammer.

I have tried 3 different springs, the 11 oz. PCC buffer, a 8 oz. PCC buffer (out of our 9mm), a 4.6 oz. buffer and 3.5 oz buffer.  Same problem.  I've cut the ejector plate down a fair amount and verified it does not drag on the bolt.  It looked like the bolt catch was dragging on the bottom of the bolt, so I swapped in a different catch that had a little lower profile.  No rubbing.  Still, I can't get the thing to fire more than once.  The bolt WILL lock back on last round fired, so I think it's cycling, I just can't figure out why it refuses to lock the hammer back when ejecting the spent round out.

Any ideas where I can look?  I'm about about of options I know about.  Thank you for any help.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Tried a different lower?
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#12]
tinypic went bust so my pics are gone and they were on an older phone that died

Did you try cutting some of the polymer bumper

Try a different spring and or receiver extension
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:57:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#13]
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Tried a different lower?
View Quote
I would need a magazine adapter to work with the Glock .45 mags.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 8:29:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CrashTestDummy] [#15]
Originally Posted By Mad-Machinist:
I'm surprised it feed....I do a slight mod to the bolt and make it run like a sewing machine with your 10 ounce buffer and standard carbine spring......I'm buried till the 15th of Oct when we get back from Knob Creek The Bolt doesn't have enough material on the bottom to get the disconnector to catch on the Larue trigger.....
Rudy

Edit....reread your entire post......can you post some pics of the bolt......that REALLY doesn't make sense.....it should be working no problem on a GI hammer and trigger.....
View Quote
I agree fully!  Especially given that the 9mm copy runs great!  I'll try to get some pictures this evening.

EDIT:  Here are the pictures.  Not sure what you're looking for, and I can focus in on specific bits, just let me know.

Hmm, looks like Fotki images don't play well with this site.  Usually if they're right side up, they show well on web forums, otherwise I flip them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry if its already been covered, but will an Olympic Arms 45acp upper function on a Large frame Glock lower with the fixed ejector removed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CrashTestDummy:  I agree fully!  Especially given that the 9mm copy runs great!  I'll try to get some pictures this evening.

EDIT:  Here are the pictures.  Not sure what you're looking for, and I can focus in on specific bits, just let me know.

https://media.fotki.com/2v2ENasCSxJDYiP.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2ENasghxJDYiP.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2ENasFGxJDYiP.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2ENasGLxJDYiP.jpg

Hmm, looks like Fotki images don't play well with this site.  Usually if they're right side up, they show well on web forums, otherwise I flip them.
View Quote
They're working fine.  You can't post pics w/o approval until you have 50 posts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I could open them here, but the orientation was different than seen on my picture hosting site.  I usually see odd flips, since I use an iPhone, but that's usually easily-corrected in the picture hosting site.  They looked fine there.  Weird.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
At the moment Tango Chaser Tactical is current close do to the passing of Tango Chaser. At the time of his passing He and I were in the process of using the lower design for the thompson mags to be able to use the Sten mags in the same lower and upper. I will continue that project using the upper from MACON ARMORY and the bolts from Olympic arms. I am having to start from the bringing on the project due to loss of specs. It is a project that I am going to complete for my father. If all goes well I will have Tango Chaser Tactical back up in about a year or 2 with the finish design.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER2:  At the moment Tango Chaser Tactical is current close do to the passing of Tango Chaser. At the time of his passing He and I were in the process of using the lower design for the thompson mags to be able to use the Sten mags in the same lower and upper. I will continue that project using the upper from MACON ARMORY and the bolts from Olympic arms. I am having to start from the bringing on the project due to loss of specs. It is a project that I am going to complete for my father. If all goes well I will have Tango Chaser Tactical back up in about a year or 2 with the finish design.
View Quote
Sorry to hear of your father's death.  The only Thompson mag AR I was familiar w/ was the side feed upper out of Oklahoma some years back.  We need more side feed uppers - STEN mags, Sterling mags, MP-18/2 mags, Luger mags, AK mags, SR-25 mags, FG42 mags, BAR mags...  
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#21]
LaFrance made blow back M16 Conversions using modified Thompson mags. Very similar conversion to that of Uzi mags in the Colt 9mm system. Since the Thompson mags have a LRHO feature, LaFrance adapted the Colt 9mm style LRHO feature to the Thompson mags system. I used a similar system for a custom made Thompson magwell conversion for the MGI modular magwell system to be used with a Ron Williams .45 DI upper. The gas pressure drops so rapidly that the gas port is about an inch from the chamber and uses the pressure inside the barrel to help extract the shell. The system is very smooth but barely runs. After about 300 rounds of use the upper has enough fowling to make function problems. I purchased a CMMG RDB .45 upper. I have yet to try it with the Thompson magwell conversion.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Sorry to hear of your father's death.  The only Thompson mag AR I was familiar w/ was the side feed upper out of Oklahoma some years back.  We need more side feed uppers - STEN mags, Sterling mags, MP-18/2 mags, Luger mags, AK mags, SR-25 mags, FG42 mags, BAR mags...  
View Quote
THANK YOU, I have to change plans on the lower, will be going from grease gun mag to the thompson mag, that's due to the lower I am planning to use is one of the Tango Chaser Tactical lower design made by CNCGuns.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mad-Machinist:

Did you mean GG mags with the lower....Or is Justin gonna be making a Thompson mag lower? Holler at me if I can be of assistance....you dad was a hell of a man and friend......deeply saddened at the news of his passing..........
Rudy
View Quote
To answer your question, I have one of the first lowers for the GG mags and the Thompson mags work in. There is a few issues I am working out to get the upper to work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER2:  To answer your question, I have one of the first lowers for the GG mags and the Thompson mags work in. There is a few issues I am working out to get the upper to work.
View Quote
Pics, please.  I did not know this was possible.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Built a pistol length on New Frontier Armory.  Nothing short of pure fun and laser accurate with a red dot!
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I've recently become interested in building a .45 AR pattern.  Does anyone shoot hollow points out of them or is it ball ammo only?  I'm wondering about feed reliability.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#29]
My Macon upper prefers Gold Dots or Federales but it is direct impingement. With law folder that adds a tiny bit of weight to the reciprocating mass

Or hotter than standard reloads :D
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I would be shooting Gold Dot.  So would direct impingement be a better option than blowback? Or does it matter?
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By seelbo:
I would be shooting Gold Dot.  So would direct impingement be a better option than blowback? Or does it matter?
View Quote
I have several DI pistol caliber uppers in 9mm, 40 S&W, 10MM, 50GI , 45WIN MAG and 50AE and I think DI is the only way to go if setup correctly. All of mine run on standard carbine springs and buffers and I also have the option to throw in a heavy buffer for hotter rounds. The big issue I see with Blow back is once you throw in a  heavy buffer spring and super heavy buffer recoil is terrible.  I have run several of my uppers FA and the amount of control I had due to lack of recoil is amazing  to me. But this is just my .02.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the input.  So if I go DI, do I need a complete upper or can I get a .45 bolt and barrel, and use a standard carrier, gas tube, and regular upper receiver?
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By seelbo:  Thanks for the input.  So if I go DI, do I need a complete upper or can I get a .45 bolt and barrel, and use a standard carrier, gas tube, and regular upper receiver?
View Quote
You may need to open the ejection port a bit.  But be aware, straight blowback and DI are not the only options in .45 ACP ARs.  There's also CMMG's radial-delayed blowback, somewhat akin to HK's MP5.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:48:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#35]
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By seelbo:
Thanks for the input.  So if I go DI, do I need a complete upper or can I get a .45 bolt and barrel, and use a standard carrier, gas tube, and regular upper receiver?
View Quote
No, I don't know anyone that will do a DI barrel/bolt, although it does use a standard carrier, the bolt needs to be modified depending on what bolt you use (either opened up to accept the 45 acp rim and or extractor/ejector tweaking) you can use a 450BM bolt but it as well needs tweaking as well. Also the gas system is custom and very short and depending on the ammo you want to run the gas port will also have to be sized correctly. I would suggest you get a complete upper. I went with RMW XTREME and Ron built it the way I wanted with specific parts so I got what I wanted as well as setup to run the ammo I preferred. He also tested it on the same type lower I have so I knew it would run and I have been very happy with all the PCC uppers I got from Ron @ RMWXTREME.COM.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#38]
A little late to this, and somewhat off topic, is it possible to shoot 45 super in a 45 AR without beating the thing to death?
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Not sure of the direct impingement

https://youtu.be/vdxX0Qoprxo
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 6731HBAR:
A little late to this, and somewhat off topic, is it possible to shoot 45 super in a 45 AR without beating the thing to death?
View Quote
I had some stupid heavy springs made 10 years ago.   It worked for some people, but caused one rifle to double.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#41]
If I remember correctly from what Ron @ RMW XTREME told me a few years ago, people may be able to run the 45 super and 450 smc thru a DI45 BUT it is better to have the upper setup correctly with the gas port placement and diameter  correct for each round so the upper functions properly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:49:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#42]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZacSquatch] [#43]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Built out the parts I got from Rudy into a “Marauder” type upper like PSA sells. Inspiration hit me when I saw I had the extended SL handguards. The barrel was the perfect length for the crush washer to hold the handguard cap ring after putting the flash can on it and lock the handguards in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 9:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikes71Camaro] [#44]
I have one of the Macon adapter setups to build a SBR but this is on a different unmodified SBR lower with Olympic mags. Oly is 99% out of business but they still sell those for some reason and they are compatible with the CMMG Guard bolt and barrel.

Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Oly has apparently sold and is still in business.  I don't usually get aesthetic objections to this or that magazine, but that does look awful.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Oly has apparently sold and is still in business.  I don't usually get aesthetic objections to this or that magazine, but that does look awful.
View Quote
Id take it over glock mag ugliness.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#47]
They are kind of big and ugly but they are very functional. Fat chick and the moped sort of thing but they dont require any adapters to run with the guard setup. Glock mags don't have it so lucky. Hard to make those work with a guard upper unless you buy CMMG's apparently made out of gold lower.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ZacSquatch:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZacSquatch:
I'm wedded to the plastic fat chick b/c she's available all over town, and I've lived through a mag ban already.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#49]
With the Macon adapter .

Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:07:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: readyman_us] [#50]
Originally Posted By 6731HBAR:
View Quote
I run 45ACP+P and my own faster +P handloads in my RMWextreme 11 inch barrel to maintain a 1100FPS velocity for my particular usage. Nothing fancy added, stock spring/buffer and gas port. Just an adjustable gas port, they make everything run better in an AR. Mine shoots as smooth as a little 22, with 230 grain slugs.
Page / 22
.45 ACP Conversion Guide (Page 21 of 22)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top