User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello all, I finally got my first AR15 (Anderson) / .223 Wylde..look forward to learning more about it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been here for a bit now, but never introduced myself. I am a first time AR owner. Over the past year I was saving loose change here and there, saved up 1200 bucks and started looking for a mid range AR in 300 BO. My thinking was a home defense / deer hunting round. I was about to buy a red arrow 300 black..then, I came upon a deal at my local sporting goods for a Radical firearms 300 black 13" barrel for 599.00. I ended up buying two of them. I had a Aimpoint comp3 and a original Eotech that I put on them. They have been alot of fun and I know they are cheaper pistols, but have never missfired or jammed up yet. I've put maybe 5-6 hundred rounds downrange on each firearm and have been really impressed with them. I want to build a AR-10 and have been gathering pieces. I've enjoyed reading on this site, sucking up alot of valuable information. Thank you to you all,
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:17:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to add to that..I broke these pistols down completely and cleaned and lubed them before firing. I wanted to work the milspec triggers a bit, so soft fired the trigger with a strap in front of the TV for about a hour..each ( YouTube) and it really helped the feel. I bought a bore sight to help me zero( saved a ton of ammo) I've shot alot, practiced defensive measures..I feel like I have come a long ways in the AR world. Now I need a long range shooter..6.5 grendel? or 308?   What you say?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I do need some advise on how to load pics to the site, look at ads within the site. I've tried to upload pics using the third party apps but have had problems. I'm 50 yrs old and cannot figure this shit out very easily. Computer/ phone illiterate. Any help appreciated
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I finally found the intro/new guy page. I’m building my first AR with help and advice from a friend. Aero M4E1 Reciever set, BA Hanson bbl, Larue trigger ……..
What started out as a “budget” AR has morphed into a $1000+ investment.
Love this forum.
Thanks, Todd
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Hello from the once great "Golden State" of Commie, er, Californicatia. I'm new to the AR15 world (got my first one a year ago almost to the day) but not to guns. I've been a gun crank for just shy of 50 years. I've been shooting my M1 rifles competitively for the past 40+ years and finally decided it was time to upgrade a bit and give myself a running chance at the xtc matches. I was the only steel and wood shooter on the line for the past few years and I got tired of being in the cellar all the time (still had a good time any way).
I retired 2 years ago after 40 years as a journeyman machinist/ tool maker. My second favorite hobby next to firearms is cycling. I ride an old Peugeot that I bought new in '85 but still runs/ looks like the day it was purchased.
I guess that's enough of boring you for now.
Thanks for letting me on board. I'm still learning the AR chassis, so if I ask a dumb question, please bear with me. I don't know the AR as well as the M1.
Ok, I've bent your ears long enough. I'll sign off now.
Jon
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:14:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Musketjon] [#7]
Deleted
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:15:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Musketjon] [#8]
Deleted
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Musketjon] [#9]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey all,
This is my first AR build. I wanted to build a unique heirloom-type piece that I could hand down to my son. Most of my guns are hand-me-downs form my dad and grandfather. I felt like I should contribute to the collection for future generations. I'm an engineering nerd-type with OCD tendencies so I'm enjoying the tinkering and modularity of the build. This is our first gun that doesn't have a wood stock and the first that requires batteries!! This project helped get me though last winter which was not a great winter after my mom passed. I'm looking forward to showing it off when it's done and getting everyone's opinion.
Thanks for having me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Hello new member from The Netherlands  .
Name Southpow
Starting a new build this time with my first ar 15   223

I am buying a Sabre Defence XR 15
About 8000 Schots through it looks very good .
It has a lothar walther barrel  
20   inch   ???
Bit off a story Sabre defence .
I.de like with a my Guns to know its history .
Read about Sabre   that they are good
Also read somethinge about selling to the UK.
Looking at it  on the barrel
223 rem  HBar   1 x 9  cmv  
UK    G 1    42/81
????
On the lower   under the Sabre logo  

UK  XR 15    S/N    then number

????

Is this one sold to the UK   ore   ??

And what is the   42/81  ???

You can tell on Ar i don.t know much .

Much info here so learning

But first these quistions

Greetings southpow
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a radical 2 years ago when i turned 18, to learn the platform on my own, buddy recommended this site; glad to be a part of this community. I hope i learn much from y'all.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#15]
First-time gun owner hailing from AZ. Just like how I built my first PC, I'm looking to build his first AR-15 at some point in the next year and hopefully I'll get there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Hello everyone, hope everyone had a good Christmas.
I’m Mike, not new to AR-15’s but I am new to this forum. I have 1 PSA 16” that I built as a kit. And 1 PSA 10.5 pistol length kit that I am hopefully going to finish building this weekend. I have purchased a 18” heavy barrel upper kit that I’m going to get started on soon. I am not a professional gunsmith but I think I have gotten pretty good at building the kits after watching many YouTube videos and picking thru what works and doesn’t work. Hopefully I can learn some stuff on here and share any tips or tricks I have picked up along the way.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Hello! New here. Hope to learn a lot about the AR platform through this forum!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a few AR-15 myself. Wanna educate myself as much as I can. It legit is a rabbit hole lol. I currently have an LWRC IC A5. Looking into getting a blackout defense DTL
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:40:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buto] [#19]
Been reading the forums for a while. Learned a lot of good information from this site. Finally upgraded to a higher end AR15 today.
https://imageshack.com/i/pnztyJnHj
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 1:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#20]
Howdy. US Navy Vet here. I've been shooting since I was given a single-shot, bolt-action, Remington rifle in .22 LR, for my 12th birthday. That was 54 years ago. My wife and former high school sweetheart, has been shooting off and on since the 1990s. I'm retired and she's about to be, so we're moving even farther away from civilization on even more land, where we'll be growing even more food an raising even more livestock. And where there are more predators. We've been talking about moving to the AR platform from our bolt-and lever-action rifles and were waiting to move to our new place to do it. The changes in our state laws accelerated that process and about two weeks ago, I started becoming as much of an "instant expert" as I could so we could upgrade to 21st Century predator protection. Despite the shortages and lines and running around, I managed to find a couple of decent ARs for our purposes. At least I think they're decent.

First up is my wife's "Porch Shooter" for coyote overwatch. Designed to be used while seated with the bipod on a flat, 6" wide railing. Still waiting for the elevated mount for the Vortex Venom red dot. It's a 6 moa due to her astigmatism. Based on what I learned here already, I will probably replace it with a prism site and put the Venom in the storage locker until we replace our old wheel guns with modern auto pistols.

Alpha Foxtrot AF 15 lower, Unknown upper, Venom Viper, Magpul flip up BIUS. LaRue trigger on the way.

My "Critter Chaser." All-purpose small- to medium-predator control out to 150 yards, maybe 200. Aero Precision upper (Atlas R-One) and lower. Sig Sauer Romeo MSD Combo red dot and flip-down 3x magnifier. Also has a LaRue trigger on the way.

It's all new to us so we're going to get a lot of professional training. Classes as well as personal training. And lots and lots of range time.

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#21]
This is so cool.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Hi everybody,
I'm Jordan from NE Oklahoma.
I didn't see a "Post" button at the end if the thread so I elected to reply to OP.

I was lurking threads, a month or so ago, just learning what I can after extensive YouTube watching. Decided, if I wanted to ask questions of real people that aren't benefitting from views, I should probably make an account. A few weeks now after registering, I found this thread and figured it a good place for a 1st post.

I don't currently have an AR because I don't know the threshold of where value/quality lies. I tend to obsessively research a hobby before committing any funds into it. Homebrewing would be my other hobby even though, due to my work schedule, it's pretty much taken a back seat for about a year. Night shift blows, but ya gotta go where the $ is to have some toys.

I have already learned that a higher price tag doesn't always guarantee better shot placement or better equipment. Also that this is going to be an exercise in patience and budget for me at least. Read as, "I'm a cheap ass, but am aiming to put together something bomb-proof I can pass down some day"

Any advice, recommendations, constructive criticism in the future are welcome. I like to know they why in what I'm investing in. Even if its just because it more funner this or that way.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the welcome. Will do.

For me it's more of trading one hobby for another probably more beneficial one. More costly, but more enjoyable too.
Starting to gather & list extra brewing gear as of this week. SWMBO is pretty much alcohol intolerant & I barely drink what I brew. Haha

Thanks to all for help correcting my noob logic/thinking on build, twist rate, bullet grain...ohhh the rabbit hole goes much deeper than with brewing. I like it!
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 1:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PH1L1PP3] [#25]
Hello everybody,
I'm Philippe (Yes, with a "e" at the end )  prononce "flip"
I'm from South of France, not far from the Mediterranean sea shore and around 60 miles from the Spanish border.
I just got my authorisation for "B Category" (Means Semi-auto pistol/rifle) and I plan an AR-15 for fun shot and accuracy shot. I mean to 220/330 yards (200/300m)
For a year I shoot 308W (Ruger PR) with a Burris XTR III @ 656 yards (600m) for the time being and reload myself.

I shoot for pleasure with my partner, so nothing serious.
I think about a Sig Sauer M400 TREAD 16" and would like to get returns from owners over here.

Thank you for reading. (Sorry for my French)
Philippe (Flip)
Only Flip, no Flip Flop
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Hi my name is Neil

I have a Sig M400 Tread.  Serving member of the military in South Africa, Air Force to be exact.  Hoping to learn from this channel.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ns0FzguCvUO0njr_8232BCKWnvm9JBpv/view?usp=sharing
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi all, S&W Equalizer owner looking to take the next step in home defense and add an AR-15. I was planning on the S&W M&P 15 Sport II, but I've started going down the Palmetto State Armory rabbit hole, and specifically their completed uppers and lowers, as it appears I can get more rifle for the same price as the S&W.

The challenge is there is a huge variety in completed upper/lower options available and I'm struggling to understand the differences and what I want/need. Google so far hasn't been overly helpful so I'm hoping talking to real people will give me the guidance and knowledge I need to understand the variations and determine what's right for me.

Looking forward to being a part of this community and thanks for welcoming me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dolfan058:
Hi all, S&W Equalizer owner looking to take the next step in home defense and add an AR-15. I was planning on the S&W M&P 15 Sport II, but I've started going down the Palmetto State Armory rabbit hole, and specifically their completed uppers and lowers, as it appears I can get more rifle for the same price as the S&W.

The challenge is there is a huge variety in completed upper/lower options available and I'm struggling to understand the differences and what I want/need. Google so far hasn't been overly helpful so I'm hoping talking to real people will give me the guidance and knowledge I need to understand the variations and determine what's right for me.

Looking forward to being a part of this community and thanks for welcoming me.
View Quote

Welcome aboard!  You're definitely headed down the right path to learn.  Sent you a PM.  Maybe start by letting everyone know your experience level and what your goal is.  Hopefully amongst all of the fighting you'll get some good info and help.  LOL.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the welcome! Replied back to your PM but I'll copy/paste what I wrote you below:

I've been watching AR-15 videos and slowly getting the hang of it, but the learning curve is admittedly a bit steep haha. That being said, I'm determined to get this nailed down eventually, I enjoy knowing the ins and outs of these things and this is a puzzle I eventually want to solve.

So far I have the following nailed down:

- Budget: up to $800 although I can flex a bit on that, would really love to avoid getting up to 1K unless there's a significant difference in quality / accessories

- Usage: primarily home defense. I'm not looking for competition grade or ultra-accurate. This thing is meant to see usage at the range and to stop bad guys, that's it.

- Wants: Red dot // black rifle (no colors) // ideally my hands don't burn off from a cheap handguard // I believe I want .556 ammo given availability and pricing. Other than that, I don't know what else I want or need given the application. I suppose a benefit is since I don't have a frame of reference I'm flexible on the furniture.

Having seen some videos on how incredible easy it is to put completed uppers and lowers together, I feel comfortable going down that route. That being said, I definitely will not scoff at a ready made rifle (which is why I still have the S&W M&P 15 Sport II in consideration).

Any suggestions folks have on materials or videos I should read/watch so I can continue my learning quest would be helpful. I don't want to be that guy that just comes on forums and says "recommend something". While of course I love recommendations so I can balance my research against them, I also want to learn.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mobiushky] [#31]
Originally Posted By dolfan058:
Thanks for the welcome! Replied back to your PM but I'll copy/paste what I wrote you below:

I've been watching AR-15 videos and slowly getting the hang of it, but the learning curve is admittedly a bit steep haha. That being said, I'm determined to get this nailed down eventually, I enjoy knowing the ins and outs of these things and this is a puzzle I eventually want to solve.

So far I have the following nailed down:

- Budget: up to $800 although I can flex a bit on that, would really love to avoid getting up to 1K unless there's a significant difference in quality / accessories

- Usage: primarily home defense. I'm not looking for competition grade or ultra-accurate. This thing is meant to see usage at the range and to stop bad guys, that's it.

- Wants: Red dot // black rifle (no colors) // ideally my hands don't burn off from a cheap handguard // I believe I want .556 ammo given availability and pricing. Other than that, I don't know what else I want or need given the application. I suppose a benefit is since I don't have a frame of reference I'm flexible on the furniture.

Having seen some videos on how incredible easy it is to put completed uppers and lowers together, I feel comfortable going down that route. That being said, I definitely will not scoff at a ready made rifle (which is why I still have the S&W M&P 15 Sport II in consideration).

Any suggestions folks have on materials or videos I should read/watch so I can continue my learning quest would be helpful. I don't want to be that guy that just comes on forums and says "recommend something". While of course I love recommendations so I can balance my research against them, I also want to learn.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

No problem  It's no problem getting what you want in your price range.  Understanding that you probably aren't going to get a red dot as well for $800 or less.  But you can certainly find decent red dots under $200.

The furniture is going to be slim pickings at that price range.  Not bad, just not many different options.  Unless you plan to go SBR or pistol brace, you're looking at a 16" barrel.  Nothing wrong with SBR or pistol brace, but that's maybe a world to grow into later.  The S&W is definitely worth it.  And you won't be sorry.  Because they are more established and "name brand" you're sacrificing some of the customization, but it's a good rifle and tough to beat at that price.

I don't have anything PSA, but there are plenty of people on this forum that do and swear by them.  I assume you don't plan to be trying out for Spec Ops or anything crazy, so it's not like you need to be Seal Team ready.  Just good solid reliable performance.  And PSA should be fine.  Unless you have something with nostalgia, the older style snap in handguards aren't necessary and if you ever DO decide to try to change them it's more hassle.  PSA makes a decent free float upper that would be fine.

PSA Free Float, 16" midlength

Pair that with a Magpul MOE or EPT lower and you've got a decent rifle for less than your price.  Not a bad way to go.

To be honest, unless you plan to shoot 10k rounds a year, you will probably spend the rest of your life happy with that rifle.

Just try to spend some money on ammo and training.  Get a good carbine class.  You'll learn what you need to work on and what you want to change from that.  Don't put anything fancy on your rifle until you do.  You'll quickly find out that the couple hundred you spent on accessories ends up being money that you should have spent on different accessories.  Go as a blank slate and learn what works for you.  Then add things.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey All,

Longtime Lurker here, I've been using this site as a resource for the last 7 years or so.  I'm former Air Force, currently in the active duty Army.  

My first AR I got in 2015, it was a M&P Sport.  The original without the forward assist.  I spent the next several years learning it and modifying it with the most expensive parts I could.  I sold it to my brother once I bought and fell in love with the 20" rifle variant.  A Colt AR15A4 which I have been modifying over the last 4 years into a late GWOT, Marine M16A4 clone rifle.  More recently I bought a Colt EPR 6920 16" and a PSA PA10 18" Gen 3.  

Current next buy is either a Colt SOCOM or PSA AK variant.  

I'm busy training or doing PT most of the time so my hobbies are pretty basic.  Keeping my truck in good working order, being a family man, and going to the shooting range when I can.  I don't consider myself a gun nut, but I am a gun user.  It used to be the other way around.  But training and service changed my thought process on firearms.  

Personally want to thank all the great contributors here on the site, the countless threads on just about every aspect of development and employment of the AR15/M16/M4/ETC are thick with facts and vital information.  I can't think of a better resource to answer any question one would have about the platform or just about any other popular firearm.  

BTW...My username is not my real name.  That's the main character in the 80's Chuck Norris classic...Invasion USA.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Hi everybody.  Been reading forums for years but never really participating.  Trying to change that.

I really enjoy learning all about what people are building and how things work, as well as all the new cool things coming out that I want but probably cant afford :)
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Hello all!

Similar to many, I've been lurking but not for long. I find that many of my more detailed questions always lead back to this forum.

I've been building bolt action rifles and living out west (Montana, Colorado) for the last 20 years and recently moved home to Ohio. The fun of building a bolt action .450 bushmaster just isn't the same as chasing 1500 yd shots with high BC rounds.

In rolls the AR - so many more variables to adjust and learn, platforms that are more realistic to my use cases and accuracy needs. (deer hunting w/ 450bm, coyote hunting, paper punching on shorter ranges than out west) It allows me to tinker and still be happy - the bolt actions at 100 yds just aren't that much fun.

I am blown away with the variety and options - I was friends with a man named Mike Gingher for many years (If anyone here collects Garands, or was involved with the CMP and knew him I wouldn't be surprised) and he was always trying to get me into these guns. There seems to be a lot of "facts" that I am having a hard time dispell. I am an engineer by trade, and the scientific method and standardized testing are prevalent in the bolt action and day job worlds.

Do you have a camp or subset of people on these forums who work that way?

Thanks for having me, looking forward to learning.

- Matt
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:09:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jamesp] [#36]
New member here. Got into AR's about 5 years ago. Prior it was bolt action hunting rifles
and handguns.

Been assemblying a couple of budget minded rifles for HD and SHTF. Have been gravitating
to Aero for parts. Training and fundamentals are now the focus instead of chasing parts.

The lighter and simpler the better, these things get heavy fast adding this and that.

Lots of exprerience shared on this site. "A man is grateful".
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey there, new forum member here from the Left side of Washington State! Thankfully, I got my AR-15 and kit before the local pols passed HB 1240, which is a ban on the manufacture, import, distribution, sale, or offer of sale of any assault weapon. So, for the time being, I'm enjoying our 2nd Amendment rights and taking my rifle out to the range on Saturday for some fun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By cinghiale99:
Hey there, new forum member here from the Left side of Washington State! Thankfully, I got my AR-15 and kit before the local pols passed HB 1240, which is a ban on the manufacture, import, distribution, sale, or offer of sale of any assault weapon. So, for the time being, I'm enjoying our 2nd Amendment rights and taking my rifle out to the range on Saturday for some fun.
View Quote

Welcome.

You may be interested in this forum:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Washington/15/
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

You may be interested in this forum:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Washington/15/
View Quote

Thanks, TGWLDR, that is useful!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Hello everyone!

Got my first 9mm pistol a few years ago and now looking to get into rifles. I didn’t grow up in a hunting family, so I’m venturing out on my own. I’ve always been a big 2A advocate and now looking to take a real step towards honing my shooting skills. Looking forward to learning from all of you!
Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top