User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:53:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jasonusvi] [#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Finished build . Still need an optic and charging handle. Starting to load tonight!

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Is that a 14.5" Wilson barrel?  If so, you better measure your barrel OAL since some of them ended up about 15.8 inches with the flash hider mounted.

Tony

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 3:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
Is that a 14.5" Wilson barrel?  If so, you better measure your barrel OAL since some of them ended up about 15.8 inches with the flash hider mounted.

Tony

View Quote

wilson 16 inch
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
ready to start running test loads through it

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:

That is the ARMS 41-BL but it is only available in .750 size.  Here is what it looks like folded.  I really like it and it is rock solid, but they are not cheap, even more than the TROYs!   FYI, the actual gas block is a low profile PRI .875 at the midlength position under the handguard, the 41-BL is just out there with a short piece of gas tube in it to lock the handguard in place and is non-functional in regards to gas.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/BiggBore/All%20ARs/458-woody-web-3.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 19Charlie_84:
Big Bore, what flip up front sight did you use on your 20" woody rifle? I want to build a 16" dissapator .458 with a CAR gas system. DPMS makes a .936 fixed A2 front sight base that I could use but I would prefer a flip up sight.

That is the ARMS 41-BL but it is only available in .750 size.  Here is what it looks like folded.  I really like it and it is rock solid, but they are not cheap, even more than the TROYs!   FYI, the actual gas block is a low profile PRI .875 at the midlength position under the handguard, the 41-BL is just out there with a short piece of gas tube in it to lock the handguard in place and is non-functional in regards to gas.

Big-Bore, I REALLY like the wood set-up on your rifle along with the folding front site. I do have a couple of questions for you about it. Who/where opened up the front site base to match the bigger diameter barrel? Also, what I currently have is a RRA 16" upper on a Spikes Crusader lower that had a Troy Bravo TRXB-11 rail installed on it when I got it, so I am wondering if the rifle length wood handguard kit and that folding site (once opened up) would still fit on my 16" barrel (even though it would obviously sit nearer to the flash hider). What is the length of that set-up from the front of the upper receiver to the front of the folding site base overall?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#7]
Originally Posted By Joker_from_TN:

Big-Bore, I REALLY like the wood set-up on your rifle along with the folding front site. I do have a couple of questions for you about it. Who/where opened up the front site base to match the bigger diameter barrel? Also, what I currently have is a RRA 16" upper on a Spikes Crusader lower that had a Troy Bravo TRXB-11 rail installed on it when I got it, so I am wondering if the rifle length wood handguard kit and that folding site (once opened up) would still fit on my 16" barrel (even though it would obviously sit nearer to the flash hider). What is the length of that set-up from the front of the upper receiver to the front of the folding site base overall?
View All Quotes
Big Bore, what flip up front sight did you use on your 20" woody rifle? I want to build a 16" dissapator .458 with a CAR gas system. DPMS makes a .936 fixed A2 front sight base that I could use but I would prefer a flip up sight.

The only reason the .458 SOCOM's barrels are made heavier than many other barrels is to add weight and reduce felt recoil.  There is no safety reason to make them so large.  Case in point, I have a Striker pistol that I push into the 50K psi range and its barrel is 14 inches long and only .720 at the muzzle, the same profile as the .308 barrel that was on the pistol from the factory.  Many hundreds of rounds later and there is no damage to the barrel.  Now with that out of the way, the Woody's barrel was made by Teppo Jutsu and is profiled .800 under the handguards, .750 at the gas block, and .745 to the muzzle.  The actual gas block is at the midlength location and is hidden under the handguard, which is your normal rifle length handguard using the standard delta ring assembly.  I opened up the interior of the handguard and glass bedded both sides around the gas block with Accra-Glass and also right in front of the chamber area so each half is bedded around the barrel and gas tube.  You must be very careful bedding so you do not lock the handguard onto the barrel and gas tube with too much glass.  I do not have to worry about heat breaking down the glass because I never, and I mean NEVER shoot my barrels hot.
Therefore, the standard triangular forend cap to the handguard butts up against the ARMS 41BL so all is held together.  There is a short piece of gas tube coming out of the 41BL front sight gas block, going through the end cap, and butting up against the end of the functioning gas tube at the midlength gas block.  The functioning gas block is open on both ends so the end of the functioning gas tube is recessed in the gas block about an eighth inch, allowing the short section of the gas tube in the 41BL gas block to butt up against the tube, locking everything in place.  The 41BL has more than enough clamping power to clamp down on the .745 barrel and still not close the gap between the two clamp halves completely.  It does not move at all but I still added a smear of Scotch-Kote 3M electrical coating under the front sight gas block between it and the barrel.  I mount all my scopes with a drop of Scotch-Kote on one-half of the rings too to keep them from shifting.  It's a lot easier to do that than to lap them and it holds on rifles that kick WAY more than the .458 SOCOM.

Now, to your question about whether or not you can open up the 41BL to fit a larger barrel, I really doubt it.  It is pretty thin as is and I don't think it can be opened up to .875 and certainly not .936.  It would be a lot easier, and not very expensive, to have your barrel reprofiled by someone like ADCO or who I use, Paladin Machine Shop service, then have it Duracoated.  It is not expensive and he has done over a dozen barrels for me and reprofiled another half dozen or so.  Contact Paladin at tp555(at)windstream.net.  He does not do refinishing though and he does not have a web site.  He is retired and does not need the extra business that a web site would bring in.
Also, I sincerely doubt you could fit a gas block with an ID larger than .750 under the wood handguard.  It has to be reamed out pretty thin to fit under the handguard as it is and I am pretty certain an .875 would not fit and certainly not a .936.  Your RR is either midlength or CAR gassed so you would have to make room under the handguard for the functioning gas block then mount the front sight out at the end.  If you had the barrel reprofiled, at least from the gas block forward, then it would not be a problem.  You could have the gas block seat cut down to .750, then .745 to the muzzle then do just exactly what I did to tie it all together.  It is not a quick job and it took me a long time to sand down and Dremel the forend internally to make room for the gas block.  And if you shoot your barrels hot, you will need something other than Accra-Glass to bed the forend around the gas block because if you don't bed it some how, the wood is more than likely going to split.  The wood out at the end is very thin and IMO it must be reinforced.  Brownells steel bed might take the heat but you would need to check that out first.

From the front of the receiver to the muzzle side of the front sight looks to be 14.5 inches.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#8]
OK; thank you for the detailed response. While I do love the look of the rifle you have, it sounds like that is going to be WAY more involved to achieve that than what I am looking for in mine. Thank you though for the complete explanation and my compliments as to the final result. Perhaps I will try something a little different on mine? But I do like the wood on it.

The only reason the .458 SOCOM's barrels are made heavier than many other barrels is to add weight and reduce felt recoil.  There is no safety reason to make them so large.  Case in point, I have a Striker pistol that I push into the 50K psi range and its barrel is 14 inches long and only .720 at the muzzle, the same profile as the .308 barrel that was on the pistol from the factory.  Many hundreds of rounds later and there is no damage to the barrel.  Now with that out of the way, the Woody's barrel was made by Teppo Jutsu and is profiled .800 under the handguards, .750 at the gas block, and .745 to the muzzle.  The actual gas block is at the midlength location and is hidden under the handguard, which is your normal rifle length handguard using the standard delta ring assembly.  I opened up the interior of the handguard and glass bedded both sides around the gas block with Accra-Glass and also right in front of the chamber area so each half is bedded around the barrel and gas tube.  You must be very careful bedding so you do not lock the handguard onto the barrel and gas tube with too much glass.  I do not have to worry about heat breaking down the glass because I never, and I mean NEVER shoot my barrels hot.
Therefore, the standard triangular forend cap to the handguard butts up against the ARMS 41BL so all is held together.  There is a short piece of gas tube coming out of the 41BL front sight gas block, going through the end cap, and butting up against the end of the functioning gas tube at the midlength gas block.  The functioning gas block is open on both ends so the end of the functioning gas tube is recessed in the gas block about an eighth inch, allowing the short section of the gas tube in the 41BL gas block to butt up against the tube, locking everything in place.  The 41BL has more than enough clamping power to clamp down on the .745 barrel and still not close the gap between the two clamp halves completely.  It does not move at all but I still added a smear of Scotch-Kote 3M electrical coating under the front sight gas block between it and the barrel.  I mount all my scopes with a drop of Scotch-Kote on one-half of the rings too to keep them from shifting.  It's a lot easier to do that than to lap them and it holds on rifles that kick WAY more than the .458 SOCOM.

Now, to your question about whether or not you can open up the 41BL to fit a larger barrel, I really doubt it.  It is pretty thin as is and I don't think it can be opened up to .875 and certainly not .936.  It would be a lot easier, and not very expensive, to have your barrel reprofiled by someone like ADCO or who I use, Paladin Machine Shop service, then have it Duracoated.  It is not expensive and he has done over a dozen barrels for me and reprofiled another half dozen or so.  Contact Paladin at tp555(at)windstream.net.  He does not do refinishing though and he does not have a web site.  He is retired and does not need the extra business that a web site would bring in.
Also, I sincerely doubt you could fit a gas block with an ID larger than .750 under the wood handguard.  It has to be reamed out pretty thin to fit under the handguard as it is and I am pretty certain an .875 would not fit and certainly not a .936.  Your RR is either midlength or CAR gassed so you would have to make room under the handguard for the functioning gas block then mount the front sight out at the end.  If you had the barrel reprofiled, at least from the gas block forward, then it would not be a problem.  You could have the gas block seat cut down to .750, then .745 to the muzzle then do just exactly what I did to tie it all together.  It is not a quick job and it took me a long time to sand down and Dremel the forend internally to make room for the gas block.  And if you shoot your barrels hot, you will need something other than Accra-Glass to bed the forend around the gas block because if you don't bed it some how, the wood is more than likely going to split.  The wood out at the end is very thin and IMO it must be reinforced.  Brownells steel bed might take the heat but you would need to check that out first.

From the front of the receiver to the muzzle side of the front sight looks to be 14.5 inches.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Really enjoyed all the pictures in this thread. I'm saving up for a 458 socom build right now. I always wanted a big bore AR and was set on a 50 Beowulf until the silencerco hybrid came out. That got me looking into the 458. I'll be able to add some pics in a couple of months
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure the majority of you guys that use this caliber reload.

Price wise, how much per round can you reload it for?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MikeE23666:
I'm sure the majority of you guys that use this caliber reload.

Price wise, how much per round can you reload it for?
View Quote

I can't remember the exact amount but I figured about .45 is what it's costing me using plain Jane fmj bullets.

Brass is about .66 a piece but you can many uses out of them being a low pressure round. Some people say 10+ but I figured 8 uses for a lenient cost estimate.

Powder is just under .09 a round at 22-23 grains for what I'm using. Loads will vary obviously.

Primers are just under .03.

I use Rainer leadsafe bullets from Midway USA for plinking. I got those on sale for right about .17 if I'm not mistaken. Specialty bullets will skyrocket that number however.

Hope that helps!

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Still a work in progress. Needs glass

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been working on this project for some time now and I'm finally able to contribute to this thread.

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:31:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bjgunner] [#14]
8" tromix barrel and bolt, areo upper, form 1 suppressor welded on for 17.5" overall barrel length. Shooting 500gr expanding subs, makes a gratifying thump when it hits the berm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bjgunner:
8" tromix barrel and bolt, areo upper, form 1 suppressor welded on for 17.5" overall barrel length. Shooting 500gr expanding subs, makes a gratifying thump when it hits the berm.
View Quote
Looks good!

Can you give us info/pics on the form 1 suppressor? Length. ID/OD. Baffle type and material. Weight. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Just some junk I shoot every once in a while.

Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#17]
A Marty build from a few years back.

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
Looks good!

Can you give us info/pics on the form 1 suppressor? Length. ID/OD. Baffle type and material. Weight. Thanks!
View Quote

I have it listed in the suppressor section of the armory.
1.75"OD x 9.5" lg. 304SS tube, mount and first two baffles. Then 9 baffles made from 7075 (home anodized). Simple clipped cones
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:58:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MGP] [#19]
LeftHand Free Floated Magpul Moe
Tromix Barrel

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MGP:
LeftHand Free Floated Magpul Moe
Tromix Barrel

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee441/mgp11/LH458SOCOM_zps5462fe7c.jpg
View Quote
I'd love to know how you floated that MOE hand guard.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Here are two I put together with tromix parts.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 5:24:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wparkinson] [#24]
So I just jumpet into the .458 world.

Went with a KAK barrel, an Anderson upper, with a low pro gas block covered with a samson rail.  
I have about 20 or so rounds through it.  Once I polished the feed ramps and chamber it feeds like a champ!

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/21LrPeB"></a>20180101_154300 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#25]
.458 SOCOM's.

16'' Wilson barrel on top.

16'' RRA barrel in the middle.

12'' Tromix btm.

Swapped out the FDE Magpul with a black Tangodown Battle grip.

Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Kinda late to the party with this picture and the rifle is nothing special except to me.  About ten years ago I bought this RRA LAR-458 complete rifle after reading about the .458S in the Indiana forum here on AR15.com.  It fit the parameters of the then new DNR regs allowing some center fire rifles.  This one was in the regular carbine configuration offered by RRA at that time.  I added an ACE skeleton stock, Badger Ordnance charging handle, and a Leupold 2.5-7x scope.  The rifle came from the factory with a RRA two-stage trigger.  Since then it has been the only rifle I've taken to the deer woods and it does not fail.

" />
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:15:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fcernese] [#29]

So much for google photos letting you link to them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#30]
One I had and got rid of ~6 years ago.
Attachment Attached File

Hoping my Tromix shows up tomorrow and I'll have another pic I can post.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:52:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: big-Al] [#31]
This pistol is the same one from a few posts above.  I stripped it  down, degreased it, gassed it in the oven, another degreasing and gassed again then painted it. I used Aluma-Hyde II coyote and then I oven baked it for 1.5 hours @ 250*.

Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Top .458 SOCOM
Bottom .50 Beowulf

Link Posted: 11/30/2018 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Got it Just can't make my mind up what HG I want to go with.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Looking to do another 458 build. Does Tony do custom work or just what he has on his website?
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#35]
My wallet hates you guys. Dam it. Been contemplating a Beowulf or a 458 SOCOM for this past year.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:

Looking to do another 458 build. Does Tony do custom work or just what he has on his website?
View Quote
Depends on what you want.  Call him or send him an email with what you want.  Sometimes he does custom work if it's not too off the wall but not usually if he is really busy, which is pretty much all the time anymore.

Also, Paladin Machine Shop Service will do custom work and he uses the correct chambering reamer and is the man that Marty used to make all his barrels.  I think he now makes them for anyone who wants them but if not, he'll tell you.  He is not trying to compete with the big companies or TROMIX and he is not a big shop, one man actually, but he has about as much experience with the .458 SOCOM as anyone other than Tony.  So why haven't you heard of him?  Because he does not advertise and until recently, only turned out .458 SOCOM barrels once approved by Marty, but I am pretty sure that has changed now that Marty is almost completely out of the game now, so far as I know.  Thomas has no web site since he does not need to advertise but he can be reached at tp555(at)windstream.net.  His quality is absolutely second to none and his turn around times and prices are extremely good.  The thing is, you'll need to supply the barrel blank and barrel extension.  He cuts metal but does not stock any inventory to speak of.  And he'll make you what you want so be sure of what you want.  He can advise, but if you insist on something that he feels is ill advised and then your project does not work, that's on you so do your homework.  Best advise, don't think you know more than him.  If he tells you that hog weighs 200 pounds, take it to market.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a Marty custom upper before. I think there's a shot of it in his youtube video montage.
Bought a Wilson barrel but let it go when I thought Wilson was PNG.

Looking for a 13"-14" barrel length with 18" twist; lightweight/fluted. I already have a Colt M4 upper and a SMOS rail I want to use. MI flash can? Cerakoted, too.

I'll send an email tomorrow to Tony; just burning internet time for now. Plus I know that you have some experience in this area.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#38]
And I'm in no rush. I "officially" started this build back in SEP 2016. Have everything but a barrel & optic. Never could decide on caliber, so I'm punting now and going back to 458S.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a 10.5" 458 SOCOM that is a lot of fun.
Barrel is from Deadshot.
Handguard is ALG.
BCG is Bootleg Adjustable.
Silencerco Hybrid keeps it sedate.

458 SOCOM Subsonic with Silencerco Hybrid
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Snot-nosed kid shooting it. Lol.

Sam Shooting 458 SOCOM Subsonic with Silencerco Hybrid
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:
I had a Marty custom upper before. I think there's a shot of it in his youtube video montage.
Bought a Wilson barrel but let it go when I thought Wilson was PNG.

Looking for a 13"-14" barrel length with 18" twist; lightweight/fluted. I already have a Colt M4 upper and a SMOS rail I want to use. MI flash can? Cerakoted, too.

I'll send an email tomorrow to Tony; just burning internet time for now. Plus I know that you have some experience in this area.
View Quote
Why 18" twist?  Seems like you might limit yourself to lighter (relatively speaking) bullets.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 2:09:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I can’t take pictures to save my life, but here is an unflattering pic of my Black Rain. Ironically it’s been the most reliable of all my ARs. Favorite load thus far is 405gr at about 1600 FPS but if I can ever find a reliably cheap and consistent source for lead I’d start casting my own as 600 gr has me intrigued.

Link Posted: 11/18/2019 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:

Why 18" twist?  Seems like you might limit yourself to lighter (relatively speaking) bullets.
View Quote
I don't shoot subs. 200-400gr is just fine.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#44]
My 1:18s shoot 500s just fine at 1300 fps MV.  Never tried subs out of them, sticking to a 1:14 and 1:10 for subs.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:14:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#45]

Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:19:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rincoln] [#46]
Tromix 10.5"

Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rincoln] [#47]
View Quote
Very nice looking build.  Is that a billet lower/reciever?
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#48]
It's a milled AK receiver by Sharps Bros.

Tony
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Rincoln,

Please, explain your system. I love the looks of both the upper and the lower (looks like a LaRue lower?).

What length is your gas system, and what length/model/make is your handguard? Does the muzzle device (it looks like a suppressor or a really elongated brake) hit the interior of the hand-guard when you shoot? Also, what model/make is that muzzle device? That barrel, did it come with your Tromix upper build?

I am going for something like your setup and want to get ideas from everyone here.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top