Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2009 7:26:05 AM EDT
Does anyone have any online sources for building a .450 Bushmasster upper? Not sure if Bushmaster has a monopoly on this still, but I have heard a couple folks talk about building their own. I imagine you could get the barrel made, or maybe someone is chambering barrels already besides Bushmaster? What about the upper? Can you simply take a standard upper and open up the ejection port and then refinish? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
MGI sells barrels and bolts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered the 45win mag?
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dvann,

I thought that perhaps you were confusing MGI with the sale of 458S parts, but low and behold they do have 450 "Thumper" barrels and bolts as well.  I guess they are playing the Wisper game with a propriatary BM name/part.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I like my 458S stuff, but MGI does make good stuff.  It looks like you could get into the 450 game on the cheap.

Yarcher,

I had to open my MGI port for my 458S, and it was not that difficult with files and the dreaded dremmel.  You loose the anodizing and finish, but the port is a pretty low pressure area on the upper.  Not sure the dimensions needed for the 450BM v. 458S, but I was able to keep the functionality of my dust cover.  But just.

Craig

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good. Did a little pricing and it looks like I can I can set up a .450 upper for around $550 (retail prices), give or take. That is considerably cheaper than a 450 Bushmaster complete upper. However, I know Bushmaster ran a special before and they were selling them for around $550. Not sure if we will see any prices like that again though. Probably if i took my time and searched for deal, i could come in under $550. But I know how I operate, and my impatience would get the better of me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dvann,

I thought that perhaps you were confusing MGI with the sale of 458S parts, but low and behold they do have 450 "Thumper" barrels and bolts as well.  I guess they are playing the Wisper game with a propriatary BM name/part.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I like my 458S stuff, but MGI does make good stuff.  It looks like you could get into the 450 game on the cheap.

Yarcher,

I had to open my MGI port for my 458S, and it was not that difficult with files and the dreaded dremmel.  You loose the anodizing and finish, but the port is a pretty low pressure area on the upper.  Not sure the dimensions needed for the 450BM v. 458S, but I was able to keep the functionality of my dust cover.  But just.

Craig

I wonder what they are using for specs? Bushmaster only owns the name "450 Bushmaster", the Specs are just Licensed from Tim LeGendre the developer and as far as I know he hasn't made any other deals.

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I found a thread in wich a guy talks about his MGI experience building a 450 BM.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=398944

Also look at 450bushmaster.net

Lots of good info, there is even a guy that converted a 03 springfield to 450BM.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dvann,

Yarcher,

Craig

I wonder what they are using for specs? Bushmaster only owns the name "450 Bushmaster", the Specs are just Licensed from Tim LeGendre the developer and as far as I know he hasn't made any other deals.

Mud,

I guess once you have the reamer you are good to go as long as you do not use the name.  I had thought the 450 was SAAMI by now.  I guess not, or I am not fully functional when it comes to understanding these things.  I would guess that Tim has not released it to MGI as I thought that it would be called the Professional.  The MGI products list is pretty interesting, as they dance around the 450BM name in the description of available ammo from Hornady.  And it is quaint that Bushmaster (or Hornady) has used the term Thumper in their advertising literature.  I also suspect that BM would not loose a wink of sleep over MGI selling these parts, as long as the MGI volume does not get crazy.  I might hazard a guess and suggest that BM might appreciate having a source to send folks who only want parts.  At least for now.

I do hope you have some plans this fall involving your 450 and a four legged tastey morsel of some sort..........

Craig
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dvann,

Yarcher,

Craig

Mud,

I guess once you have the reamer you are good to go as long as you do not use the name.  I had thought the 450 was SAAMI by now.  I guess not, or I am not fully functional when it comes to understanding these things.  I would guess that Tim has not released it to MGI as I thought that it would be called the Professional.  The MGI products list is pretty interesting, as they dance around the 450BM name in the description of available ammo from Hornady.  And it is quaint that Bushmaster (or Hornady) has used the term Thumper in their advertising literature.  I also suspect that BM would not loose a wink of sleep over MGI selling these parts, as long as the MGI volume does not get crazy.  I might hazard a guess and suggest that BM might appreciate having a source to send folks who only want parts.  At least for now.

I do hope you have some plans this fall involving your 450 and a four legged tastey morsel of some sort..........

Craig

I was justkinda curious what specs they are using beause there has been discussion that some small changes in the specs might allow different kinds of bullets that don't work as well as what BM sells, so I'm curious what they are using.

And yes, my 450b is going to help me fill a cow elk tag in Dec.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my 450 BM, and lucked out by becoming interested in it not too long before they put them on their sale!

Just curious, but has anyone come across the Remington factory ammo?
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love my 450 BM, and lucked out by becoming interested in it not too long before they put them on their sale!

Just curious, but has anyone come across the Remington factory ammo?

I don't believe it has been released yet, if it was for sale, someone at the 450bushmaster forums would have seen them and pointed it out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dvann,

Yarcher,

Craig

Mud,

Craig

I was justkinda curious what specs they are using beause there has been discussion that some small changes in the specs might allow different kinds of bullets that don't work as well as what BM sells, so I'm curious what they are using.

And yes, my 450b is going to help me fill a cow elk tag in Dec.

Mud,

Perhaps a tad longer in the throat to allow for some of those really aerodynamic 360 WFN's  Cool on the elk hunt.  I am sure you will post some pics for us.  Methinks this is gonna be a pretty banner year for the big bores and big game.  I should have a deer tag, and possibly elk for my 458S.

Craig
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top