BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 35
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I just confirmed Noveske does/will not sell x40 barrels any longer. Bummer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally finished reading ALL 67 PAGES of this thread!  I'm more excited than ever to convert to this caliber on my ACR.  I'm not the first ACR owner to make this conversion though.  Will be fairly straightforward being Carbine gas and not pistol.

Time to commission the Lock-N-Load AP!

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm still looking for poly barrels....anyone have a lead?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:59:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dr69er] [#4]
OK, let me help you with this:

Lothar Walther makes both CM and SS Poly Blanks.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/363.php

Pac-Nor Barrels also makes Poly bored blanks in CM and SS.

http://pac-nor.com/barrels/

My personal opinion is getting the CM versions for a few reasons:

> Strength and Durability, will handle wear better and last longer.
> Much more cost effective over SS.
> You have the option getting the barrel treated in something like a
Melanite finish If moisture and rust are a concern for you...

Also, i would choose a 1:8 or a 1:10 twist for best possible load options...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
There's an article in the September Blue Press catalog about the 7.62x40.  The author built a semi-lightweight rifle with a Wilson barrel.  I was glad to see something in print about this cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dr69er:
OK, let me help you with this:

Lothar Walther makes both CM and SS Poly Blanks.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/363.php

Pac-Nor Barrels also makes Poly bored blanks in CM and SS.

http://pac-nor.com/barrels/

My personal opinion is getting the CM versions for a few reasons:

> Strength and Durability, will handle wear better and last longer.
> Much more cost effective over SS.
> You have the option getting the barrel treated in something like a
Melanite finish If moisture and rust are a concern for you...

Also, i would choose a 1:8 or a 1:10 twist for best possible load options...

Good luck.
View Quote

Ah, ok. All along I was thinking a finished 7.62x40 barrel. I'll just buy a blank plus the reamer and have a Smith finish it for me.

Thanks again Dr. Sorry for all the dumb questions...new to SBRing and reloading... especially in a wildcat cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope this is ok, seems the best place to post.....I couldn't get signed back on under my old screen name ( dant425 ) so created a new account. Not normally a poster but I did post about getting a 7.62x40 WT reamer for a custom T/C Contender build.  I ordered a reamer and go gauge from PTG, it was used  to cut one chamber and I doubt I would ever use it again. If anyone  is interested $125 plus shipping for both.......thanks, Dan [email protected] as I can't always sign in here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Funds are saved up...barrel and dies soon to be inbound!

Does everyone who built/bought a 7.62x40 still use it as a go-to?  Or have people started moving away from it?

Also, what ever happened to Kurt...still working at Wilson?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:44:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Graycard] [#9]
Ever since I reviewed Wilson's first offering this caliber has been my go-to outfit for every situation.  It is my first choice for hunting season and sits by my desk 365 days a year for any two or four legged creature that ventures by my place.  The 16" model is the one AR I have that won't be altered in any way.  For me it is perfect AS IS.  I've added a 20" rifle just becuase I could and I'm having thoughts about seeing how light I can build another.  The only thing holding this cartridge back is the fact that a major ammunition company has not offered it.  

When you build a rifle and it works the way you want it to you build up a bond with it.  But to be honest, this was one build that went right from day one.  I got three hogs with the Wilson gun before I built mine and then another three hogs with mine.  It has come through on whitetail for the past five seasons with two 4pts., two 7 pts., and two 8 pointers.  Just to show the utility of this rifle it has also eliminated the beavers and muskrats at my pond, and one young male bear that was trying to pick a fight with my dog.  It happened to be the rifle I had the day a rabid dog come after me and a quick snap-shot dropped it in its tracks.  When you have a 70-80 pound dog drop about 15 feet away you are thankful.  

I've got about 5,000 cases formed, two sets of dies, and a good sup[ply of 1680 as well as Nosler BT and Sierra 125s stashed back.   No matter what the market does with this caliber, I will still be using it.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
That's awesome graycard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
So does anyone have inside info on why Wilson chose 11.3" for the SBR barrels?  I'd really like to make my ACR a 10.5" but I'm curious if there's some specific reason 11.3 was chosen.

Is this what people refer to as nodes in reloading?  Like a tuned barrel length?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mxracer72:
So does anyone have inside info on why Wilson chose 11.3" for the SBR barrels?  I'd really like to make my ACR a 10.5" but I'm curious if there's some specific reason 11.3 was chosen.

Is this what people refer to as nodes in reloading?  Like a tuned barrel length?
View Quote

IIRC, the prime SBR barrel length (depending on case capacity and other factors) is right around
11.5", anything less it becomes very tricky to get the rifle to run reliably, this is especially true if
your using a can.

Just my two pennies, good luck.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I can vouch for the 11.3 bbl. Great barrel , I put mine in a 12" Odinworks  Freefloat and added a KAK flash can to bring the muzzle out side of the hand guard.  I used a Sig brace on a KAK  tube.  Someday I will figure out how to post pics !
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!  What kind of accuracy and velocity are you getting out of the 11.3?

Sounds like a good setup. I really need to build myself an AR pistol....already have an AK pistol but obviously you can tinker a lot more with an AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I constructed my 7.62x40 WT a little over a year ago.  Wilson Combat provided most of the parts, including upper & lower receivers, bcg, barrel, and grip. I selected the 16" Tactical lightweight barrel. The barrel has been very accurate right out the box.

" />
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I cant give any info on velocity, I don't have a chrono.
Accuracy is outstanding    with my 20" rifle I can shoot sub 1" at 100 yrds with 25.2grn of 1680 and 125 grn noslers.  On my bench is the last grouping I did with that load and it was 5 shots into .88"   4 where in the same hole and one was out about a half inch.
The pistol ( 11.3" ) has a red dot and my best group goes around 1.5" at 50 yrds for the same load.  My eyes are not what they used to be, so for me , that's good enough.
125grn SST's open up to 1.2" in the rifle with 25.2 grn of 1680. I have experimented with the 130grn Speer HP and 1.5" is my best.   Shooting groups smaller than 1" has never been a strong suite of mine (too much caffeine) and to be honest. I have to work at it.
I love this cartridge and may get another 20" barrel before the lying Hildabeast gets elected.
I own a 6.8 SPC and a dozen AR's in 223 but I seem to end up shooting and enjoying the 7.62x40 the most.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Good info, thanks. I'm working a turnaround at work....as soon as it's over I'll be sending off my barrel for the Royal treatment (aka retrofitting to ACR with additional hardware). I'm really looking forward to this.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Just another pic of my 7.62x40.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jmtgsx:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/jmtgsx/054.jpg
View Quote

Nice rifle....clean and without a bunch of unnecessary crap.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jmtgsx:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/jmtgsx/054.jpg

What scope?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jmtgsx] [#21]
Ior Valdada Trident 1.5-8x26 in Seekins rings.
Great glass!
JP handguard, Magpul UBR, Seekins forged upper and lower, Timney trigger, Atlas bipod.
20" stainless barrel by Wilson Combat, Ergo grip, WC Lancer mags
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Well my 14.5"  MDWS barrel set is at the shop getting fitted to my ACR's gas system. I'll promise to post a pic or two once it gets back. I decided to leave it at a pinned 14.5" for now. If I'm feeling froggy later I might buy and convert one of Wilson's 11.3" barrels, but we'll see. Still waiting on my Form 1....liable to be a few more months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:08:21 AM EDT
[#23]
What's the point of trimming the case before forming?  I'm setting up for reloading this cartridge and when I trim to 1.560" and then resize, my cases are slightly under the 1.565".  It's possible that my die was set up a bit short, I will check that before loading live rounds.  However, why not just resize the original case and then trim it to the exact length you need?

Note:. I formed 10 or so Wolf 5.56 cases I found at the range that I'm using to set up my dies.  Resizing before triming was noticeably harder than after, but not difficult.  I'm using a Forster Co-Ax with the Hornady Dies from Wilson.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MatthewDS:
What's the point of trimming the case before forming?  I'm setting up for reloading this cartridge and when I trim to 1.560" and then resize, my cases are slightly under the 1.565".  It's possible that my die was set up a bit short, I will check that before loading live rounds.  However, why not just resize the original case and then trim it to the exact length you need?

Note:. I formed 10 or so Wolf 5.56 cases I found at the range that I'm using to set up my dies.  Resizing before triming was noticeably harder than after, but not difficult.  I'm using a Forster Co-Ax with the Hornady Dies from Wilson.
View Quote

The reason you should trim your cases before sizing is to help avoid split case mouths...especially, when up sizing
case necks like many wildcat and semi-wildcat rounds like the 7.62x40mm WT.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone try  CFE Blk in the 7.62x40wt ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#26]
What's the consensus on the 110 grain FMJ round nose M1 Carbine bullets?

I'm thinking about setting them back 0.02" from the lands and following the Barnes 110 grain loading.

Anybody have a better idea?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Look over on the MDWS forum. There are a few guys posting results with CFE BLK there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rlp77] [#28]
Originally Posted By MatthewDS:

View Quote
I find that it makes for easy forming if I trim on a saw, then size, then final trim on a lathe trimmer. Also, annealing prior to forming softens the brass and reduced neck splitting to almost nil. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#29]
First post and bringing this thread back to life. I like to make things difficult for myself so I'm chambering my next hunting rifle in 7.62x40 WT:

- 18" Wilson barrel
- Nikon P300 BLK 2-7x scope
- Spike's Slick-Side upper receiver
- Everything else pretty standard

I'll be assembling it this weekend and will post up a pic here. Looking forward to having a lighter-weight alternative to my heavy bull-barrel 6.5 Creedmoore Rem 700 rig for deer and hogs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#30]
You should enjoy it and I wish you luck this season.

I double checked the sight-in on both the 16" and 20" rifles knowing deer season is coming up.  Of course it hasn't changed on either rifle and both are maintaining sub-moa.  It is hard to believe how long ago this thread was started and I have had mine since 2011.  I use the 16 inch rifle a couple of times a week and have built up a lot of faith in both the rifle and the cartridge.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Graycard:

I double checked the sight-in on both the 16" and 20" rifles knowing deer season is coming up.  Of course it hasn't changed on either rifle and both are maintaining sub-moa.  It is hard to believe how long ago this thread was started and I have had mine since 2011.  I use the 16 inch rifle a couple of times a week and have built up a lot of faith in both the rifle and the cartridge.
View Quote
Thanks. I already used my tag last weekend with my Creedmoore, but I have a pig hunt coming up in March that I would like to get the x40 fully dialed-in for. It's a lot of walking, so a shorter and lighter rifle will be nice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Graycard:

View Quote
Graycard, what is your go to load compomets? I've been using 125gr Sierra and 1680?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By pdx_762x40:
First post and bringing this thread back to life. I like to make things difficult for myself so I'm chambering my next hunting rifle in 7.62x40 WT:

- 18" Wilson barrel
- Nikon P300 BLK 2-7x scope
- Spike's Slick-Side upper receiver
- Everything else pretty standard

I'll be assembling it this weekend and will post up a pic here. Looking forward to having a lighter-weight alternative to my heavy bull-barrel 6.5 Creedmoore Rem 700 rig for deer and hogs.
View Quote
Here she is. Will be doing final assembly this weekend. Somehow I managed to order everything except a gas tube roll pin

Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I finally got around to building out an upper using one of the first barrels Kurt had made by Noveske.

Its been on my bench longer than my son has been alive, and he has basketball practice tomorrow...

Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
I finally got around to building out an upper using one of the first barrels Kurt had made by Noveske.

Its been on my bench longer than my son has been alive, and he has basketball practice tomorrow...

View Quote
Dang I thought I was the biggest procrastinator in this thread.  Built a rifle years ago in this caliber and I still haven't loaded any ammo for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I've always found the loading rather simple.  1680 with a 125 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter.  This averages 3/4 MOA in both rifles, and the velocities range from 2350 to 2450 depending on the rife I use. (16" or 20")  This has stopped everything I have shot.  The black bear was the only animal that went more than a few yards.  It was a young male in the 225- 250 pound range and dropped after 50 yards.  This was not my chosen rifle for bear hunting and to be honest I shot it in my yard when it was trying to pick a fight with my dog.  The bear was "young & dumb" and didn't realize my dog brought back-up.  

All of the hogs have dropped in their tracks.  There have only been nine of them from 150 to 300 lbs., and the deer may go 10 yards on average.  

The 125 gr. Nosler BT has given me good accuracy but has done odd things in the animals.  I shot one 6 pt. in the neck at 25 yards broadside and had the exit wound come out right behind the shoulder on the same side.

It comes down to "if it aint broke, don't fix it."  The Pro Hunters are about as cheap as you can get and it performs well.  By reading the thread, you can see just about every suitable powder has been tried and I couldn't see anything to convince me to use anything other than the 1680.

Since I'll play with these rifles hitting metal or paper targets out to 500 yards (max distance on my range) but I consider the 7.62x40WT, the 6.5 G, and the 6.8SPC as 200 yard hunting rifles.  Changing powders in hopes of gaining 25 fps just isn't worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the great info Graycard. Have you recovered any SPH bullets? Curious what they look like after a hit on a hog or deer. Also, do you zero at 100 or 200 yards?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I have only recovered one round of the 125 Sierra.  Not a perfect mushroom.  But I think it hit the offside shoulder, breaking it, and lodging just under the hide about a foot back.  I wish I had weighed it but the Lord only knows where that bullet ended up.

I sight all of my rifles dead on at 100 yards just so I don't get mixed up from one to another.  Then I keep a cheat sheet on each as to their trajectory.  The longest shot I have taken on an animal with the 7.62x40WT was about 140 yards.  That was a coyote shot out of my bathroom window.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I built a rifle with a Wilson 16" barrel and a Rock River lower. Modified a PMAG by filing off the internal ridges as described in this thread. Got Hornadys reloading dies.

I've been trying to fire form some LC09 OFB with 110 grain Sierra HPs and 26.0 grains of AA1680.

Seems to jam a lot.

Anyone have a good fire forming load they want to share?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Also, will Noslers 125 grain Accubond work with this cartridge?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Timberhawk:
I built a rifle with a Wilson 16" barrel and a Rock River lower. Modified a PMAG by filing off the internal ridges as described in this thread. Got Hornadys reloading dies.

I've been trying to fire form some LC09 OFB with 110 grain Sierra HPs and 26.0 grains of AA1680.

Seems to jam a lot.

Anyone have a good fire forming load they want to share?
View Quote
may have better luck getting started with a little heavier, ogive friendly bullet....something like a 125 TNT or 125 Nosler...I usually use those and 25 to 26gr of 1680, but I mostly shoot 20 or 21" barrels with rifle length gas system...

may have better overall performance with something like H110 out of the 16" barrel and 110gr bullets, can't recall the exact load...
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Earlier in the thread it has been posted as 26.9 grains of 1680 with the 110 grain sierra as a fire form load, but that is too hot in my 16" carbine ported gun.

I dropped down to 26.0 grs. of 1680. Seems okay as to pressure, but a lot of jams.

Just trying to find a cost effective way to fire form brass.

I'd like to use W296, but it seems to be right on the edge with the 125 gr. Sierras.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Also, has anyone tried the Nosler 125 Gr. Accubond in this cartridge?

Will it load to the correct length, or is it made more for the 300 Black Out?
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I have 2 7.62x40's one is a poly wilson 18 and one is an mdws 18 they both shoot awesome. they both like the 110 hornady sp and 110 vmax with 25.9 grains of 1680.  I don't run many bullets over 110 in mine just because they shoot so good with the 110's

I may buy a 3rd x40 barrel because MDWS has a hell of a sale going on their barrels right now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 7:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewDS] [#45]
Originally Posted By Timberhawk:

Earlier in the thread it has been posted as 26.9 grains of 1680 with the 110 grain sierra as a fire form load, but that is too hot in my 16" carbine ported gun.

I dropped down to 26.0 grs. of 1680. Seems okay as to pressure, but a lot of jams.

Just trying to find a cost effective way to fire form brass.

I'd like to use W296, but it seems to be right on the edge with the 125 gr. Sierras.
View Quote
That's a hell of a fireform load, it's above the max listed by Wilson for any bullet.

If it were me, I'd fireform with 23.5 to 24 grains of 1680, which is on the low end for powder charge.  I'd bet you are getting jams because you are way over gassed with those high charges.  Are you running an adjustable gas block?

Edit:. Out of an 18" Wilson Barrel, I got sub-moa with the following:

23.5gr AA1680 and 125gr Sierra Prohunter
24.5gr AA1680 and 110gr Barnes TAC-TX
24.5gr AA1680 and 110gr Hornady VMax
24.8gr AA1680 and 110gr Nosler Varmageddon

Use my load data at your own risk.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:20:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Timberhawk] [#46]
never mind
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Looking at Hodgdon data for the .300 BLK, I see that CFE BLK has good velocity with 150 and 168 gr bullets, but at very low pressures (33k for the 150 and 42k for the 168).  Both are compressed loads, so it would appear that case capacity is the limiting factor.  I wonder if the added capacity of the 7.62x40 might not remedy the shortage of powder space in the .300 BLK and allow loading up to 52k psi?  If someone already mentioned it, forgive me, but I didn't read every single post.

As an added question, I am about to buy an M17s in .300 BLK from K&M Arms, which I am convinced will be the prefect deer/hog gun.  The issue is that the barrels are proprietary and the guy that owns it isn't interested in making a one off (he's a one guy operation, so hard to blame him).  My only real option is to buy an extra barrel in .300 BLK and have the chamber reamed out, which per this thread seems to be suboptimal.  I messaged Kurt,but I assumed that someone else might be in a similar boat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:47:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rkrcpa] [#48]
And so it begins

Still have to work out some details as far as handguard, stock etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#49]
With the receivers and barrel you have the hard part done.  You'll be shooting it in no time.

As for the CLE-BLK, I've been shooting it a good bit this past month and find it to be just below 1680 in performance.  Meters well, as does the 1680, but I could get a little higher velocities with the 1680.  All of my testing so far has been with the bullets in the 125 gr. range.  I still think this weight bullets are the best weight/velocity match for the 7.62x40WT.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Has anyone tried a 220 grain Hornady RN in this case?  If not, I may take that plunge and see.   I worry about feeding even if the bullet will physically fit into the case at mag length, which is my main concern in asking.  Quickload thinks that with AA1680, it could do around 1700 FPS from a 16.5" barrel, which would be an absolute monster for short range.
Page / 35
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top