Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:09:24 PM EDT
I just got a new AR together(that would be #2 now).  The barrel has a bit of a wobble, maybe about 1/16" of wobble space.  I made sure that the front sight was lined up with the bore, I couldn't tighten it anymore otherwise the front sight wouldn't line up correctly.  Will it be ok with that little bit of a wobble from side to side where the barrel mates with the upper?  Thank you for your time.
-Don
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Your barrel SHOULD NOT wobble!

How tight is the barrel nut?
The index pin on the barrel ext. should prevent most FSB canting
(anything else can be made up with the rear sight)

Either something is wrong with your upper receiver, or you just need to crank the barrel nut a bit more.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just got a new AR together(that would be #2 now).  The barrel has a bit of a wobble, maybe about 1/16" of wobble space.  I made sure that the front sight was lined up with the bore, I couldn't tighten it anymore otherwise the front sight wouldn't line up correctly.  Will it be ok with that little bit of a wobble from side to side where the barrel mates with the upper?  Thank you for your time.
-Don

NO! something is definitely wrong. There is a stub on the barrel that fits in a notch in the upper receiver, is this where the 1/16" "wobble" is coming from. If so line up the fsb and when you tighten down the barrel it will lock it in place, preventing any movement of the barrel stub in the receiver notch.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe the index pin (at the barrel extension) didn't go into the 12 o'clock notch on the upper receiver?

If done properly, the barrel may flex. but not wobble.

lord
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
no wobble and whats this about lining up the front sight?

are you missing the index pin?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Well all of the pins and everything lined up fine, I only noticed when i got the surefire rails installed, then I put the forward grip on and noticed it moved, at first I though it was the rails but I saw that it was the barrel that was moving.  Now when you say "flex" what exactlly are you reffering to.  If i move the forward grip to the right or left really hard it moves
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Stick man took words out of my mouth

play is okay if so?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top