Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2006 12:54:16 PM EDT
Hey all,

Seeing as how the ban has been expired for a good while now I'm looking to convert my "ban-legal" AR to its appropriate glory by adding a new barrel with threads and a lug and also by adding a collapsible stock. In the interest of saving money (I'm a grad student) I was thinking of getting one of the "el cheapo" telescoping stocks like the ones made by Leapers at Cheaper Than Dirt....

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR007-3293-1888.html

I'm not really interested in the six-position M4's, mainly due to my budget. However, if anyone has had a bad experience with the Leapers 4-position stocks or similar ones made by another manufacturer I'd like to hear about it. Otherwise I'm probably gonna go with the Leapers.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:20:38 PM EDT
Try RB performance in the industry section here. Rock River for a good price.

I have no experience with them as a vendor. You're on your own there.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:42:23 PM EDT
I fully understand where you are coming from, but I would avoid getting that low cost leapers stock. the ones I have seen were not very good at all.

For 50$ you can get a much better quality one from here.

Or even go here and get a good stock from a very reputable vendor.

The buffer tube, springs and buffer are very important to the function of the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:09:20 PM EDT
When it comes to a tele stock, don't go cheap! I'm not saying you have to drop $200 on an LMT, but get a quality M4 stock... I think you are looking at like $75 tops.

I have cheapo stocks and it was a mistake.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:19:34 PM EDT
Buy Nice or Buy Twice!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:08:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:43:03 AM EDT
What do ya'll think of the Cav Arms telestock? I just ordered one. I know the guys at Cav are good folks and are into the plastic molding thing bigtime. $69 for the complete kit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:00:39 AM EDT
Leapers is crap. Go to BravoCo or one of the other Industry guys and pick up a milspec kit for like $80. You'll only buy once, and you'll have a milspec product. If you decide you want storage alter you can get the TDI cheekpiece kit for another $20.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:04:04 AM EDT
Leapers is Chicom. Don't buy Chinese crap to put on an American battle rifle. It's just wrong. Don't support our enemy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:55:47 AM EDT
You should also look in the Equipment Exchange here for a used one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:33:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ipschoser1:
What do ya'll think of the Cav Arms telestock? I just ordered one. I know the guys at Cav are good folks and are into the plastic molding thing bigtime. $69 for the complete kit.

I like my Cav Arms M4 stock. Seems like a solid product to me. I've never compared it to the cheap chinese crap but I have compared it to a friends DPMS. I liked the Cav Arms much better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:16:10 PM EDT
Thanks for all the help guys! I guess I'll just go with the M4 Milspec stock, probably from BravoCo. Again, thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:32:40 PM EDT
I got a six position stock from J&T Distributing, and it's great! Check them out at:

www.jtdistributing.com

I ordered from the PDF catalog, called the order in over the phone and the woman who took my order was really cool. I think it was 65-75 bucks.

Verry sturdy and functions necely.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:38:19 AM EDT
CMT/Stag.... $65 - $75 for a complete kit. Mil-spec tube. Why be cheapo when you can have a great stock for not much - if any - more?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:02:09 AM EDT
Have any of you guys tried the fiberlight stocks from Model One Sales?

FIBERLIGHT STOCKS AT MODEL 1 SALES
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:08:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DrBlankW30:

those fall in the same category as the other cheap stocks
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:34:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:

those fall in the same category as the other cheap stocks

+1

That style of stock can be had in better quality. Don't buy crap several times; buy quality once.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:20:32 AM EDT
RKangel777, any advice on where I might look for one of those Cav Arms M4 stocks?
Lancelot, where might I look for a CMT/Stag Mil-Spec set up?

Thanks much!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:22:28 PM EDT

RKangel777, any advice on where I might look for one of those Cav Arms M4 stocks?

Thanks much!

Look in the Equipment Exchange here. There are plenty of reputable dealers (and site sponsors) that sell what you're are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:22:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

Thanks much!

Look in the Equipment Exchange here. There are plenty of reputable dealers (and site sponsors) that sell what you're are looking for.

Here's where I ordered my Cav stock. It should be here soon. dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=20&CFID=203204&CFTOKEN=68413494
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:00:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By UVvis:

What is the difference between the $50 dollar equipment exchange stock and the bravo company mil-spec stock?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:13:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spahn_Ranch:

Originally Posted By UVvis:

What is the difference between the $50 dollar equipment exchange stock and the bravo company mil-spec stock?

The 50$ EE stocks sound like they are rock river arms type stocks. They are a much better stock than the el cheapo stocks from China. The stock's like the stag/CMT have a buffer tube made to mil-spec, and they are supposed to feel and be better constructed. I have a RRA stock and a stag/CMT one, but have not compared them side by side yet, so I'm not the best to answer this fully.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:16:35 AM EDT
I bought a OLD Style Tele stock from bravo comp. its pretty nice for the around 40 buck price tag! and has hradly any slop!

I also bought the VLTOR wich is a BIT nicer and has a good cheek hold!

But it doesnt seem any tuffer or stronger than the Tactical Stocks from Colt/Bushwacker

I think if you are just going to the range to have fun get the FIBER LITE old school type stock!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:58:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ipschoser1:

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

Thanks much!

Here's where I ordered my Cav stock. It should be here soon. dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=20&CFID=203204&CFTOKEN=68413494

Well, I got two new collapsable stocks last week. A Rock River (on a complete lower) and the Cav Arms. The RR is tighter than a ticks ***. The Cav looks great but is a sloppy fit on the supplied tube, rattle city.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 1:08:22 PM EDT by JohnTheTexican]
I bought a couple of those $20 el cheapos just as the ban was ending. One of them worked okay, but the other would collapse for the hell of it. They're cheap for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:50:19 PM EDT
It's allready been said but why put a $30 stock on a $600+ rifle?
Top Top