Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 10:00:48 AM EDT
Has any one seen the prototype i guess it is that barrett made for ar15? Its a 6.8mm upper. I got a pic if you want to see,could not find it on there websigth,but i think it would be nice to have.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#1]
It's been discussed a few times around here, and the pic was posted by SMGLee I think.  If you search the XM8 threads, I think that's where you'll find some of the discussion about it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have read that and wanted to find out more about it,thats the only info i read and the pick is the one i copied and saved for future reference.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I emailed Barrett a week or so ago asking about these. I haven't gotten a reply yet.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 3:55 PM
To: [email protected]

Good evening,

I recently saw a Barrett ad. for an upper receiver for the AR15/M16 family of weapons.  It was a 6.8mm version of the classic upper.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Price?
Configurations?

Thank You.

-----Their Response-----

Sent : November 12, 2003  3:54PM

We do not have that information to give out at this time.  Please check our website for updates.

Thank you,

Amber Henderson
Barrett Firearms Mfg., Inc.
PO Box 1077
Murfreesboro, TN  37133

Hopefully you guys do better.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
It's super secret spy squirrel information... which by revealing, I take the great risk that I may go impotent, have my hair fall out, and SMGLee will move into my guest bedroom...

Barett isnt ready to publicly comment on the 6.8x43mm. The good ole boys connected to the project will give you the info if you are a LE purchasing agent.  Only Remington is counting on the commercial market for this round. They are going to release the ammo and bolt action rifles chambered for it.

PRI is making 28round mags that are a little longer than a 30Rnd AR mag. AR mags will work with a modified follower, and some feed lip tweeking, and hold about 25 rounds.  Unmodified 20rnd mags will work reliably with 5-8 rounds, kinda like the 7.62x39mm from an AR mag.

The developers were concerned with terminal performance above all other concerns. So they didnt bother with practical sense issues like using an existing case head desing so existing bolts could be used.

Several kittens were killed by Muslem terrorist because I revealed this info to you...

The first company to market a cartidge that matches 6.8x43mm ballistics, but feeds from unmodified magazines and uses the existing bolt carrier group, will see great commercial sucess.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If it shoots very flat and has plenty of knock down power out to 200 yrds i will want one as a deer rifle round and since it should be a low recoil rd ,guess its between a 6.5swiss and a 270 bullet wise in dia. In my state(TN) they have to be a 243 or bigger to use to hunt. It sounds cool as a military round for sure, i think US regreted not taking on the 6mm/6.5mm type rds long ago during vetinam since european countries used it and had great results,sure you all read about that stuff over the years. If its close to 6.5 swiss in knock down power for its size which out performs the 308rd and like the 6mm in accuracy ,then we will have a awsome universal standardized rd. All the way out to maybe 1,000,who knows they do shoot 6mm at 1,000 yrds with great results,but not sure what case they use either to get it there or grain weight for that matter. But it be great!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It was primarily designed to give greater accuracy at greater distance, and the knock down is naturally greater due to wt., terminal effect is naturally a bi-product.
Jack
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's super secret spy squirrel information... which by revealing, I take the great risk that I may go impotent, have my hair fall out, and SMGLee will move into my guest bedroom...

Barett isnt ready to publicly comment on the 6.8x43mm. The good ole boys connected to the project will give you the info if you are a LE purchasing agent.  Only Remington is counting on the commercial market for this round. They are going to release the ammo and bolt action rifles chambered for it.

PRI is making 28round mags that are a little longer than a 30Rnd AR mag. AR mags will work with a modified follower, and some feed lip tweeking, and hold about 25 rounds.  Unmodified 20rnd mags will work reliably with 5-8 rounds, kinda like the 7.62x39mm from an AR mag.

The developers were concerned with terminal performance above all other concerns. So they didnt bother with practical sense issues like using an existing case head desing so existing bolts could be used.

Several kittens were killed by Muslem terrorist because I revealed this info to you...

The first company to market a cartidge that matches 6.8x43mm ballistics, but feeds from unmodified magazines and uses the existing bolt carrier group, will see great commercial sucess.
View Quote

I'm sure you realize that Barrett had a one page advertisement for their 6.8mm upper? How secret could it be?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#9]
AR15fan,

3rdtk is correct.  The 6.8 mm was designed to be a combat cartridge--it offers greater accuracy, reliability, intermediate barrier penetration ability, and terminal performance yet still has mild recoil and fits into an "M4" size package.  Your statement, "So they didnt bother with practical sense issues like using an existing case head desing so existing bolts could be used", has NO basis in reality.  Rebated rim versions of the SPC that used the current M4/M16 bolt were tested; however, they were not as RELIABLE as the final version.  I find reliablility to be about the most important "practical sense" item possible when using a weapon--I am quite sure the SPC cartridge designers knew what they were doing.  Please be accurate in your statements.

For further info, see:  http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum78/HTML/000512.html
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]
IF IT WORKS FROM A NON MODIFIED MAG., AND USES THE SAME BOLT, IT WOULDN"T BE THE 6.8, DIMENTIONS THAT GIVE THE 6.8 IT'S SPECIAL ABILITIES.
Jack
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I emailed Barrett on 8Oct03 and directly asked if they will be available for civilians and this was the reply I received on 12Nov03.

The 6.8mm will be available to civilians but at this time we cannot confirm a date as to when it will be available.  We are waiting on Remington ammunition.  Please check our website for updates or Remington's.

Thank you,

XXXXX XXXXXXXXX (Name Withheld)
Barrett Firearms Mfg., Inc.
PO Box 1077
Murfreesboro, TN  37133
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IF IT WORKS FROM A NON MODIFIED MAG., AND USES THE SAME BOLT, IT WOULDN"T BE THE 6.8, DIMENTIONS THAT GIVE THE 6.8 IT'S SPECIAL ABILITIES.
Jack
View Quote

The same bullets used in the 6.8x43mm, pushed to the same velocity, will have the same effect, reguardless of if they are propelled from a necked down .35Rem, or necked up .223.  The internal ballistics from ignition to the lead will be different, and therefore offer a slight difference in accuracy. But the terminal ballistics will be identical.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Mute point as terminal was not the main intent, and the fact remains, they ain't necking up and ain't necking down anything, it's a whole new ball game from some very talented folk.
Jack
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[IMG]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/mstn/PRIUpper.jpg[/IMG]

EVERYTHING IS UNDER CONTROL.

CONTINUE TO WAIT PATIENTLY FOR REMINGTON TO SAY "GO".

I THINK YOU WILL BE EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH THE FINAL RESULTS OF WHAT A FEW HIGHLY TALENTED, PROFESSIONALLY MOTIVATED, SELFLESS INDIVIDUALS CAN DO.

[IMG]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/mstn/PRI-Std.JPG[/IMG]
View Quote

Gee Wes, I have this strange feeling that more of my money will be flowing your way. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Any ballistic tables and/or comparisons to the the 77g 5.56s?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jack
View Quote

The times I have been around the 6.8, GI M16 unmodified magazines have worked flawlessly, both FA and SA.

As usual, Doc is correct. The recoil is somewhat mild, but the test guns are heavier than a standard M4, and quite a bit heavier when all the handguard hanging gear is added.

I have seen a number of different 6.8 uppers, so they maybe available sooner than we think.  It appears that ammo availability and cost are going to be the major problems.  

This is just speculation, but since the cartridge is commercial property of Remington, one could assume that release of this cartridge would best serve Remington by being released at the SHOT Show in February 04. From a pure marketing standpoint, this would give them the option of releasing a new rifle/ammo combo.  Again, this is pure speculation.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:34:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is just speculation, but since the cartridge is commercial property of Remington, one could assume that release of this cartridge would best serve Remington by being released at the SHOT Show in February 04. From a pure marketing standpoint, this would give them the option of releasing a new rifle/ammo combo.  Again, this is pure speculation.
View Quote

An employee of Barrett posted at another forum that Remington is indeed planning a SHOT show release- but I heard that at the same time I heard other people saying "early Nov." so who knows?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
 It appears that ammo availability and cost are going to be the major problems.  

View Quote

Small companies like Barrett and MTSN are not going to be enough to ensure commercial sucess. Unless Colt, Bushmaster, or Armalite offers complete rifles and uppers in this caliber it will be a commercial flop. So far now major AR manufacturer will publicly commit to offering anything in this caliber.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps we should start petitioning poor Jarrod at Bushmaster so we can get chrome lined 6.8 mm barrels?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:23:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Perhaps we should start petitioning poor Jarrod at Bushmaster so we can get chrome lined 6.8 mm barrels?
View Quote

Already been done. They are not interested. They wont even offer the 1:7 5.56 as a standard option. Thier hands are full with the Carbon Fiber rifles they bought the rights too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#23]
It should become interesting very soon.....
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I assume the SIRS ARMS #58MOD will not fit the new 6.8 and they will have to develop a new line for these. Correct?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I believe Wes inferred in another thread that the 6.8 barrel will use the midlength gas system and hence the use of the ARMS #58 STD.

The picture that Wes has post here shows a PRI Midlength tube and PRI BUIS to further support this.  And to think I made a mistake in buying a #58.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
THE MATCH GRADE STAINLESS BARRELS WE'RE GOING TO USE WILL GIVE BOTH SUB-MOA ACCURACY WITH THE RIGHT LOADS AS WELL AS GOOD BARREL LIFE.
View Quote

Any chance you will offer light-weight chrome lined 18" Brls with no blast enhancer?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top