Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2003 7:23:12 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.  I'm interested in eventually (hopefully soon) building an M4-style carbine.  I'm pretty new to AR15/M4 rifles, having only fired a few, but I've always been interested in them.  I'd like to know the difference between green label and blue label upper receivers.  I'm sure it's been discussed here many times, so please forgive the newbie's question.  

This is a great resource for AR owners and those just interested in AR rifles.  I'm sure it will be a great resource in the future when I start my M4 project.  Thanks in advance!

Spitfire75
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome! [beer]

The most noticeable difference between a green and blue label upper will be the lack of a bayonet lug with the blue label.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick response!

So postban rifles/uppers would be considered Blue Label?  I basically want to build a postban M4 with a mock A2 flash hider.  I just like the way the rifle looks better with a flash hider than without.  It doesn't sound like something I'll really need to be concerned about, since I'm not planning on leading any bayonet charges any time soon.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind that a blue label upper is still a preban because of the flash suppressor.  If you are building a postban and you want a mock A2 then I suggest checking out the faux flash suppressors that Steve sells over at [url=www.adcofirearms]ADCO[/url].  They slip over the end of the barrel, so they make a 16" look like a 14.5" M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Great, thanks for the link.  While it would be great to have a preban, I'd also like to be able to actually take it out and shoot it without having to look over my shoulder the entire time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
No need to look over your shoulder when shooting a preban. In fact you might consider it over your postban. The blue label prebans have .25 inch pins to hold the upper and lower together. There are more upper options with blue label. The collapsible stock lets you adjust your length of pull, in case the kids want to shoot. If you like the looks of the flash hider, you might as well have one that actually works.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, there are no kids who want to shoot it, unless someone somewhere hasn't told me a very important little tidbit of information...[sex]

I know there are more options for the preban; I'm just thinking about running into future hassles.  We'll see though.  I'm still in the "planning" phase.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on what kind of modifications you do to the rifle first, the AW ban may have already sunset.  If you can plan this project ahead and "hold yer horses" on the real flash suppressor and retractable stock you can save hundreds of dollars by not having to buy a preban.

Retractable stocks work real well if you are wearing a heavier jacket or trying to avoid obsticles.  They make a "shorty" stock as well if that interests you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:19:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, of course I would *ideally* love to own a preban.  I'll just have to do a lot of research on what's legal and what's not.  Has or has not the AWB expired?  And where can I read up about it?  NRA.com?  What are some government sites I can go to for info?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
No the AW ban has not gone away...yet.  I think it is mid Sept. of 2004.  Some are not so optamistic on it sunsetting.  I am.

I have learned much about the ban just by hanging out on this website.  There is so much info here it's crazy.  Just do an internet search on "assault weapons ban".  You will find all you need to know.

I had a lot of bad experience asking legality questions at my local law enforcement center.  Some officers went so far as to tell me that "any rifle that holds more than 10 rounds is illegal".  I don't know whats worse, lying to the public or being that ignorant of the laws.

So you are right.  You will have to do a lot of research on what is legal and what is not.  You will find a lot of those answers here on this site just by reading the forums.

WELCOME!

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the welcome.  Which laws are federal and which laws are state-level?  For example, magazine capacity and flash hiders...those are federal laws, correct?  I know that new AR15s built for legal use in California cannot have a removable magazine (worst idea EVER), but this is just a California state restriction.  There's so much research to do, I might end up just waiting a year to buy/build an M4.  It couldn't hurt...I may just end up saving more money between now and then anyway.  It'll be good for upgrades like a Knights RAS or an SIR or something.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#11]
definately contact someone local who is knowledgable about the laws. as stated before, the AWB is expected to sunset this coming september. i figured i'd just wait until then to convert my post-ban stuff over (really only want the collapsible stock). after speaking with some local PD-types i found out that connecticut adopted it's own version of the AWB which NEVER EXPIRES!! so if i stay in this state i have to buy a 10 year old reciever to do what i want when everyone else will be able to buy brand-spankin new stuff. i guess the only plus to all of this is when the AWB does sunset, i'll probably be able to pick up a pre-ban reciever for cheap. whatever, point is, check with a knowledgeable local also, because you can still get yourself into trouble...
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
You think Connecticut is bad?  Try moving to the left coast.  Have you SEEN the CA-legal M4?  For the love of god, it's got an internal 10 round magazine and the magazine well has not been milled through so you can't insert an external magazine!  Welcome to my nightmare...
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
No need to wait a year till the ban sunsets to buy an AR.  One can own a very cool and very effective AR15 that is strictly post ban.  My suggestion is to go that route.  Then when the ban sunsets you can do what newar15guy has stated.  Just swap out the post ban equip for preban.  This way you can still have an excellent AR now.  

Trust me.  You will find many a cool item to put on a post ban AR.  The SIR is only one.  Then you get to decorate it with pistol grips, lasers, and lights....oh my!

The only reasons I can see to owning a preban are flash suppressor, bayo lug, and retractable stock.  

To go from a muzzle brake to a flash suppressor takes 15 min and a wrench.  The bayo lug is kind of useless unless you are planning on taking part in a human wave attack.  Besides the M16/AR15's never made good spears.  The retractable stock is only worth a shit if you are wearing a heavy coat, body armour, or performing a dynamic entry (which is not a good way to impress your neighbors anyway).

In a nutshell.  If you were to buy an AR right now, you could have 90% of what you want today, and get the other 10% next year.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
That's the other route I was thinking of taking.  I was originally going to try to pick up a postban M4 now (with a pressed on mock flash supressor, because I just like the way it looks vs. a crowned barrel) and then buy a retractable stock and preban barrel in a year or so.  But I live in CA, so it might not be possible anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sorry to here you live in California (seriously.)  The laws governing that state are rediculous.  Those people in office have all but stripped honest ciizens of their gun rights.  

I have been informed by different individuals that if you own a HK Mk 23 pistol, it has to be registered as an "assault weapon" because of the threaded barrel.

Ironic isn't it?  The more strict the gun laws are, the higher the gun related crime.  It is like putting a sign in your front yard stating "THIS IS A GUN FREE HOUSE".

Anyway...kind of off the subject.  I think you have the right idea to go post ban now.  Then you can get some trigger time in ASAP.

Later.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the sympathy.  Basically, honest citizens get screwed because they're fumbling around with rocks (rocks cannot be gray or black, and must be smaller than a golf ball, due to state restrictions) and sticks (but without pointed ends, because pointed-ended sticks are preban) trying to protect themselves from criminals who have actual AKs and ARs (an exaggeration, but it gets the point across).  

Do they honestly think that gang members and other criminals get their weapons through legal channels?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top