Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 1:06:21 PM EDT
How can i tell if a barrel is or isn't?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Somebody must know this???
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Just look at it.  If it's chromed then you'll see the silvery/white chrome around the muzzle and/or breach.

Edited to add that you need to learn a little patience.  You allowed barely two hours on a sunday when most of the country is watching football and/or having dinner.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Fire the rifle to prep the bore and leave it out in the rain for a couple of days. If it doesn't rust it's chromed. [:D]

All kidding aside it can be difficult to tell if the rifle has been shot to any extent. What brand barrel is it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry,i'm not an AR pro.(yet)I figured a question that simple would be laughed at by the many more experieced members here at this great(the best ar)site,and be answered almost imedietly.Your right i'll try to be more patient next time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not positive it's an M-4 with a built in mini-y comp.I've been told model-1 or B.M?I had the gun built and i've heard you don't have to break in a chrome barrel??If it need's brake in where can i get the best advice on that?Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Best advise on "breaking in" barrel. Forget you ever heard the term.  It's total BS.  Take the thing out and shoot it.  Lay off extended rapid fire for a couple of hundred rounds, then do as you please.

The breaking in thing is a scam put out by the manufacturers, because they don't properly inspect and test fire their ARs, and they're scared something will break in the first few hundred rounds.  That's what "breaking" in is all about, as far as I can tell.

Winchester and Remington don't tell you that you have to break in a barrel.  The AR makers shouldn't either[;D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice,i'll do just that.(noticed you from GA,i just got back from Alpharetta)
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#9]
With a clean barrel (no soot), you can usually see excess chrome lining as it "roll over" the crown.

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/31740412.jpg[/img]

And, sometimes, you can't

[img]http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL33/1216349/2303971/32675261.jpg[/img]

But, in both cases, I would expect to see the chrome lining among the rifling.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:59:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice,i'll do just that.(noticed you from GA,i just got back from Alpharetta)
View Quote

Yeah, lived in the metro Atlanta area for over 30 years, but finally got out a few months ago.  Went up to northwest part of the state (Rome area) where the air is clean, the deer are plentiful, and the local Walmart still sells rifles [:D]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not positive it's an M-4 with a built in mini-y comp.I've been told model-1 or B.M?
View Quote

A Bushy barrel is marked B MP 556 NATO 1x9. If so marked, it's chromed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top