Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2003 6:48:12 PM EDT
Based on past postings I definately do not wish to start any problems; however, would appreciate any information good or bad re subject handguards.  Would appreciate the information from those, if any, that have actually tried, tested or at least analized them through usage.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I had them on all my ARs... now I have them on none... My ARs now sport KAC RAS systems which can be found on the EE for some very good prices... hmmm $100 for the M44 handguards which are crap plastic, or around $200 for alumnium RAS handguards with spec rails and covers.  No contest!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a set of the M33 handguards.  They look and feel good.  Plastic is nice matte black.  Rails on top and bottom are part of the handguard, and are made of plastic, so they don't get too hot when you shoot, and they wont have uncomfortable or sharp edges if your hold changes while firing.  They have single heat sheilds and are slimmer than the M4 handguards, so the PRI cantilever mounts for the EOtech will fit with very slight filing of the hanguard.  Very secure for mounting a verticle grip.  I like them but I will soon be changing to one of the free floating units.

I would buy the samco's if you have a very limited budget.  If you have more money to spend then I would opt for the FF guards like the RASII, SIR, or GG&G's Handguard (yet unrealeased)  I would not spend $350-$400 on a non-freefloating guard in my opinion.

Tex78

editud caz i caint spel
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had them on all my ARs... now I have them on none... My ARs now sport KAC RAS systems which can be found on the EE for some very good prices... hmmm $100 for the M44 handguards which are crap plastic, or around $200 for alumnium RAS handguards with spec rails and covers.  No contest!
View Quote

Show me A KAC M4 RAS for $200 and there is a sale.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to the Equipment Exchange and look!  I'm not doing your research for you.  I have purchased two in the past six weeks.  One at $250 with 3 11 rib panels and 2 6 rib panels plus a KAC verticle grip for $250 shipped and one from Boom I got in trade, four OD panels I wanted $75 for and $125 in cash.  I don't think the deal with Boom was ever posted.  I believe board member Lowammo got a set for $215 shipped after I sent him the link to the tread.

I also got a brand new Magpul, sling adaptor and a weaver accessory rail for $200 SHIPPED from Skammy.  Try finding just the stock for $200 shipped (you won't), not to mention $50+ in accessories.  You have to be in the right place at the right time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt I will be able to ever justify the cost of a RAS/SIR because the type of shooting I do.

The M44 works great for me. It was a good price, it is tight, strong, light and well made.

It's done everything I've needed it to do for my range/plinking/squirrel warrior.

I'd love to have a RAS but for my use I'd rather get a couple more cases of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree - everything has it's place.  Most of my rigs have KAC units, but my latest project is my first build, and the guidelines are low weight, low cost, and it's not a SHTF or tactical weapon so I am not going to be rough housing with it.  For those reasons, a used M33 I got in trade fit the bill.  Is it even half the product of a KAC, ARMS SIR, or some of the others (extruded aluminum tubes)?  No, but I don't need it to be in this case.  It was cheap, light, and will do the job which is just little more than the original A2 handguards it replaced - a modest improvement over nothing.  Perfect!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top