Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2003 3:26:03 PM EDT
Which wrench do you prefer? The $10.00 cheap GI wrench? Bushmaster wrench? DPMS or JT wrench? Why is one preferred over the other?

Thanks
M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a wrench that says DPMS on it.  I bought it from Brownells.  It looks like this one. [img]http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/851115001.jpg[/img]  I like it because it allows me to install both standard barrels nuts and nuts for free float handguards.  I also like it because it allows me to break the nut loose without having to use my torque wrench or a breaker bar.  The old GI wrench is antiquated and not the best tool for the job IMHO.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The USGI wrench works perfectly, something I can't say about the DPMS wrench and the other similar one I tried.  Maybe I got bad samples of both, but they fit poorly and the wrench flats for the flash supressor and lower receiver extension needed filing so they'd fit.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the comments. My limited experience is that the GI one is underated. Seemed to fit the barrel nut much better with it's 3 peg than my JT wrench. Plus the GI wrench was about ten bucks.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
THe barrel pins (3 pins) on the Bushy wrench are for float tube nuts only (that is my understanding [b]I might have been the last guy to figure that out though[/b]

I was having a lot of trouble with them slipping and tearing up my barrel nut so I flipped the wrench and NOW use the star type semi-circle of teeth looking part and it works far better.

It's good enough for me (I have the GI wrench also but it's a bit of a pain so all I use it for is rifle reciever extensions and I do very few of those anymore.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have this wrench from bushmaster:

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/223-wrench.asp

It looks nearly identical, and mine has the square aperture for the torque wrench.  Finish is still on mine, because I lost the courage to use it as planned :)
Top Top