Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2003 10:49:20 AM EDT
I'm putting together a PWA lower receiver with an RRA parts kit and having a problem. When I put the hammer in, it barely wants to move. The studs on the hammer almost look crooked, and the marks it's making inside the receiver back that up. Is that common? What should I do about it? Should I try to sand and buff a bit from the studs on the hammer?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm putting together a PWA lower receiver with an RRA parts kit and having a problem. When I put the hammer in, it barely wants to move. The studs on the hammer almost look crooked, and the marks it's making inside the receiver back that up. Is that common? What should I do about it? Should I try to sand and buff a bit from the studs on the hammer?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Any chance you could post pics of the hammer both installed and out of the lower?
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#2]
fizassist, thanks for the reply.
I took pictures of the hammer and the lower. The pic of the hammer in the lower didn't show much, it was hard to see. But in the pic of the lower, on the left side of the pin hole, you can see some wear marks. That's from having the hammer in with a pin and trying to move it. When sliding the hammer into the receiver, it's a tight fit anyway, but it gets really stiff there, making it hard to line up the holes. Have you had this problem before?

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDjAhsXCm*LjRWE5WTKuRTIzJaZ7IqkaUUieo4yoquJQXVr08qBBIiCd7FXEQozsGc8TTi8xVptXvDmNX8slak1RUJUYsgdyw3CPeFCBQSzaF!jVAbccQ/lower.jpg[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgC0BGwXg4YMR41rhgmjcwHKMKDXuMsMWUtp4hrPVOnqnamRCWHPrrNpUU68MWOIs!Nt73quFvhizP9L1uwL3ghLQDUSjqdx7Ft2d4znVj9jBqubEXpNtg/hammer.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I also just measured the total width of the hammer from the extension tubes with a micrometer. I was getting 0.687", and one or two thousands smaller if I measured in a different spot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I just measured one at .676".

And the inside of the receiver at the hammer pin was .689".

I think you have a bad hammer from this distance.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=159731[/url]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up very carefully shortening the tubes on the hammer. I only had to take off about a total of 0.002" to get it to work. It seems to work fine now. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top